Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:15 PM

8 posts, read 19,592 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for progressive schools (think Waldorf, Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Democratic, etc) that serve special ed students, especially students with autism. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:33 PM

234 posts, read 629,320 times
I'm familiar with many of the Montessori schools in the area and I don't know of any off hand that have a high number of autistic students. I had a student with Aspergers once and that was about it.

The only Waldorf school in the area is in Lexington and as for Reggio- the Advent school in Boston, the Charlestown Nursery school and the Children's Garden at the Cambridge School of Weston. I would just call them and ask.

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:42 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,425,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klry24444 View Post
Hi, I'm looking for progressive schools (think Waldorf, Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Democratic, etc) that serve special ed students, especially students with autism. Anyone have any suggestions?
WOW! What does being a Progressive Democrat have anything to do with it? I'd think your kids education / well being was more of an issue than your political beliefs.

BTW: I'm a Conservative, and could care less about the political beliefs of teachers (like it would ever come up to begin with) if that was the best place for my kid!

Put down the kool-aid and put your kid above politics.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM

democratic schools have nothing to do with politics, it's an educational movement. like the sudbury valley school in framingham.

Democratic education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM

@ proudestmonkey

thank you for your response, the schools you suggested are great but unfortunately they don't have special education programs.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 AM

940 posts, read 1,937,511 times
There is a Cape Ann Waldorf school in Bevelry, and two Montessori schools. There is a Montessori high school in Manchester. Landmark school in Beverly (located on the oceanfront) is a special needs school, specializing in learning disabilities.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM

234 posts, read 629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
WOW! What does being a Progressive Democrat have anything to do with it? I'd think your kids education / well being was more of an issue than your political beliefs.

BTW: I'm a Conservative, and could care less about the political beliefs of teachers (like it would ever come up to begin with) if that was the best place for my kid!

Put down the kool-aid and put your kid above politics.
What?? Haha.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,433 times
We live in Sharon, which has an excellent school system. Although it is highly regarded in the state (I think it ranks in the top 10 systems in all of Ma) with consistently high standardized test scores, it also has a team of special educators who work with kids with learning differences and even those with autism.

Sharon is about halfway between Providence and Boston. It is a small town but adjacent to many conveniences. We love having the access to the many museums, concerts and fabulous shopping of both cities. We were worried when we moved here that we'd feel like outsiders because we heard it was a heavily Jewish town (and we are a gay, non-Jewish couple) but we've found that isn't the case at all. There is actually a nice diversity of religions and everyone is very accepting. The kids are kind and the parents aren't super competitive. We really love it here.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

@ konfetka, the cape ann waldorf school looks great, but I'm looking for a program specifically for special needs kids

@iluvmyfamily, the sharon public schools children's center looks amazing, i will definitely check it out

Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,433 times
You didn't say where you'd be working or commuting to.. . but my partner and I each work in different directions which is one of the reasons we ended up in Sharon. One of us drives to Boston and the other to RI. We use the commuter rail on weekends when we go into town to have fun. Super convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts