Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM

24 posts, read 95,309 times

Advertisements

So, we are planning a trip up there because I am writing a book about the witch trials.

Can you tell me a little bit about it? Are most of the attractions in Danvers or Salem?

I'd like some help figuring out what the best places to see are and where the best libraries are.

I'd also like to know what the town (Danvers) looks like now and what kind of vibe it has. Is it close enough to the ocean to get a nice breeze in the summer?

Also, should we stay in Boston and commute to Salem? What is the best way to do this? We have about 5 days in September, one of which is labor day. Will all the museums and stuff be closed on labor day? If they are, we'll probably go home that day.

Last edited by bethanygm; 08-08-2011 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 AM

199 posts, read 951,206 times
I don't know what attractions you're looking for or what your objective is, but I'll try to answer some of your questions, though you really should do your own research here.

In the 17th-century, Danvers was part of Salem. It was known as Salem Village and where many, but not all, of the witch accusations occurred in 1692. Most of the properties that still remain in the section of Danvers known as Salem Village are not open to the public. You'll need a car to visit Danvers.

Danvers Archival Center at the Peabody Institute Library in Danvers (Archives: Menu) houses many materials relating to the Salem Witch Trials of 1692.

The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum (formerly the Essex Institute part) houses the transcripts and other materials relating to the Salem Witch Trials of 1692, but most of these materials are online and the Phillips Library prefers people look online before consulting their sources.

Many of the transcripts relating to the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 are online (Salem Witch Trials Documentary Archive).

It's up to you whether you stay in Boston or Salem. Both have hotels as does Danvers. The public libraries will be closed on Labor Day; the museums will be open.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 AM

1,038 posts, read 4,006,407 times
Ditto what Wivenhoe said. Danvers is pretty much landlocked behind Salem and Beverly so there are no real "ocean" breezes. Danvers is more quiet than Salem, which has capitalized more on the name and history. "Salem Village" during the trials encompassed a very wide geographical area, stretching all the way to Andover.
Personally, I'd rent a car and stay in Salem. You may want to take a trip into Boston, though, to visit the New England Historical Genealogical Society. Make an appointment telling them exactly what you're researching. It will save you time.
Best of Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts