Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,121 times

Advertisements

My hubby says 4WD is NOT to be used on ice. When do I use it, and also does anyone know when you're supposed to have your Electronic Stabilizing Control on and should it be on with 4WD? We've had such a pile of snow this January and now February, as many of you know (I'm sure, LOL). Hubby thinks none of this needs to be used. We have a lot of ice under the snow to contend with. And I'm wondering why I bought a car with these things if they're not supposed to be used at all. Can anybody out there help me with this? Thank you. This is my first time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 PM

43 posts, read 132,693 times
Well, I live in Arkansas and we have nothing but ice on our roads right now. I have a Toyota 4 Runner and even in 4WD, you will still slide on ice. The best thing to do is take it slow and easy. That's really all you can do with ice on the roads. I have used my 4WD to get out of my driveway due to the deep snow and then once the snow melts, we have a lot of mud. 4WD is real handy for that. I am moving to Boston this summer and was there for the snow storm a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the roads are taken care of there, as that was a concern of mine.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM

12,954 posts, read 22,128,891 times
Is your car an optional 4x4 or "All Wheel Drive"? Do you have to push a button to turn on 4wd (so it's in 2wd unless you change something)? If you do, then you have a traditional 4x4. All Wheel Drive is constant (there's no button to switch into 4x4, but there may be a low-range switch) as opposed to optional. Most AWD cars today use computers to calculate which wheels should be turning and which shouldn't (rarely ever is an AWD car pushing with all 4 wheels). Your ESC will do essentially the same thing (even in 2wd).

I would ALWAYS leave the ESC on. All wheel drive will help in slippery situations (by transferring power to the wheels with grip) but it will slide on ice just as easily as a 2x2 if you're trying to stop. Don't get overly confident. The ESC does a good job of transferring power where it's needed to help you correct a slide or a spin; even in 2wd.

If it's a vehicle that you have to choose between 2x2 and 4x4, I'd only use 4x4 when you're trying to get out of an unplowed driveway or something. 2wd is fine otherwise. every 4x4 is subject to the same sliding that other cars are. Your ESC is more useful on ice than 4 wheel drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: