Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,190 times

Advertisements

I am entertaining a job offer for a company in Walpole Mass. I am from Ohio but I have been living in Europe for the last 4 years. I am a 50 year old widow with a son who may come live with me for a while in the States whilst he finishes his Masters degree via online.

I love living in the downtown area of large Metropolitan areas (with plenty of shopping, cafes, restauants, events, etc.) so was wondering if it would be feasible to live in a similar area in Boston and commute to Walpole? Or, is Walpole a little more exciting than what it seems like from doing some internet searching?

My budget is up to $550K and would prefer a condo type arrangement to cut down on the outdoor maintenance.

Thanks for the advice!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM

23,688 posts, read 18,799,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo225 View Post
I am entertaining a job offer for a company in Walpole Mass. I am from Ohio but I have been living in Europe for the last 4 years. I am a 50 year old widow with a son who may come live with me for a while in the States whilst he finishes his Masters degree via online.

I love living in the downtown area of large Metropolitan areas (with plenty of shopping, cafes, restauants, events, etc.) so was wondering if it would be feasible to live in a similar area in Boston and commute to Walpole? Or, is Walpole a little more exciting than what it seems like from doing some internet searching?

My budget is up to $550K and would prefer a condo type arrangement to cut down on the outdoor maintenance.

Thanks for the advice!!!!
Walpole is nice but certainly not "exciting". You certainly could live in Boston, as people in this area do all sorts of commutes. Keep in mind that even going against rush hour there will still be traffic at peak times so I would allow 45 min. to an hour. I don't know how much that price will get you in a desirable area of downtown Boston, my guess is not much. I would also look into Quincy just south of Boston for semi-urban with many things to walk to, yet slightly closer to Walpole and more affordable than downtown Boston. You should also look at Providence which is about the same distance from Walpole and can get a lot more for your money there.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,950,327 times
Buy a place in Brookline or Dedham and you will be better off, Walpole is dead.
The driving in Boston is very stressful.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:22 PM

270 posts, read 1,362,355 times
I do agree with what both previous posters stated. For you a bigger city is probably a better fit. Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, etc. The commute from and to these towns by car will be tough, no matter which time of day. Route 93 is always full. Consider that Walpole has a fairly well serviced commuter train station in the center of town. You did not say where in Walpole you will work, but if it is close to the center you should consider the train. Always a good option to have, especially in the wake of the last 3 snow storms.
Providence is an option, but not as exciting as Boston. You can also consider some of the bigger suburbs like Newton, Wellesley etc. And although $500000+ seems a lot you will run into affordability issues within these towns.

Now I do have to disagree with autims360 regarding the statement that Walpole is dead. It might not be the most "exciting" town for singles but it is a very stable and safe family town with plenty to do. I am from Europe and love living here. Yes there is not much nightlife, art and culture (show me a suburb that has that) but here is a list of some things we do have: family activities, open space and parks, sports, a new library (being build), some shopping and restaurants, good housing stock including condos, and Gillette stadium down the road.

Good luck with your search! Feel free to ask me directly. I (obviously) live in Walpole :-)

Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM

12 posts, read 39,027 times
I actually think an excellent Boston neighborhood for you would be Jamaica Plain, or JP as most folks call it. JP has an eclectic mix of neighbors, cafes, restaurants and a lot of pedestrians out and about. With no traffic it's about a 30 minute drive from JP to Walpole. I would anticipate up to an hour realistically. There are tons of great condo options with your budget- in fact, I recently saw a gorgeous 2-level completely renovated condo on highly desirable Sumner Hill, a historic neighborhood with lots of gingerbread Victorians for less than your budget.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-26-2011 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: realtor advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts