Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,681 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are a new family moving to the Boston area in the next few months. We're both professionals with my job located in Brockton and his in Brookline. We have NO idea in which area we should look for an appropriate place to live. We'd like to rent starting out because of that fact, but would like to live closer to my job than to his. Any suggestions where his commute in to the city won't be terrible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 PM

3,692 posts, read 7,447,023 times
If you're looking to rent I would suggest Quincy or Braintree. Pretty convenient to Brockton and Boston and a good selection of rental properties.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,711,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
If you're looking to rent I would suggest Quincy or Braintree. Pretty convenient to Brockton and Boston and a good selection of rental properties.
They also would be my picks also he could take the T into Boston and the
trip to Brockton is not too far.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:39 PM

1,038 posts, read 4,002,021 times
What's the transportation situation? Is one or both of you driving or in need public transportation? Honestly, I would not commute from Quincy or Braintree to Brockton. Both are definitely convenient to Boston, but Brockton? Not so much.
Again, depends on your transportation requirements.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 PM

10,045 posts, read 15,710,314 times
It would be ok if you lived close to West Quincy/South Shore Plaza exit.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 PM

158 posts, read 546,259 times
The poster is working in Brookline. Quincy and Braintree seem close, but they are not that convenient if you have to cut across the length of the city going East and West everyday.

Might depend on where in Brookline. Brockton is easy to navigate, but you dont want to live there. Perhaps Dedham, Needham, along the RTE 24 to RT 95 corridor would provide easy access to Brockton and parts of Brookline.

Keep in my the reverse commute siutation. Presumably, your commute will be a lot tougher because you a driving into the heart of the city, so it may be wise to be closer to Brooline for you. If your closer to the city, your husband will have a reverse commute. Heading out of greater Boston in the morning and into Boston at night. Needham abuts Brookline and you can jump right onto 95 to 24 rather easily.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,168,693 times
Whatever you do, stay away from Randolph (if you have kids).

Old 01-12-2011, 11:08 AM

9,544 posts, read 16,555,379 times
Im originally from Mass about 20 miles SW of Brockton. I commuted into the W. Roxbury section of Boston for many years. Many of my co workers commuted to both W. Roxbury and Brockton as my employer was in both cities. We all had our commuting experiences and it can take its toll. Commuting in the area can be Hell in the winter as people are dealing with this winter.

With that said you and your husband, are working in two entirely different regions that do not have convient access to each other. Brookline is close in Boston and in a difficult location for commuting from the suburbs to the south. So in picking a place to live. Keep in mind one of you will have the more difficult commute, and that will be worse in winter.

I would say you will want convient access to major hwy's, rather than dealing with a long drive to reach one. I don't think public transit is going to be part of your commute in this case so here are my suggestions.

They may not be the closest, but perhaps will make it easier on the one trying to get in and out of Brookine. Again one of you is going to have to deal with the longer and worse commute. Im going to go with Braintree also as mentioned by another poster. Simply because if worse came to worse in winter your husband could get to Brookline on the T. You would have access to Rt 128 and Rt 24 which takes you right into Brockton. Otherwise you could live the opposite side of Braintree and live in Dedham, and have access to 128 to shoot on over to 24 to Brockton. Living in Dedham would put your husband closer to Brookline but you would not be as close to Brockton. Like I said one of you has to give on this type of commuting and living arrangement in the Boston area.

If Braintree or Dedham doesn't work for you, then perhaps one of the towns on Rt 24 itself. Such as Avon. Really Braintree and Avon are not that long a drive from Brockton thanks to 128 and 24.

.Otherwise you could live in nearby West Bridgewater or Stoughton all close in to Brockton, but I think these areas would be much to difficult on your husbands commute.

Commuting is a part of life in Eastern New England for many reasons. You will find a way to make it work for you. We all had to.

Best of Luck.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 PM

131 posts, read 414,996 times
How about Abington? If's on the commuter rail, and borders Brockton. It's having some financial woes, so may be sketchy if you have kids. Despite that, schools did fairly well on last MCAS.

My daughter just moved out of Abington, but really, it's a pretty good town overall.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,681 times
Thanks for the responses. As it is right now, I would have a vehicle and eventually we want to buy a car for my husband, but initially he will likely be travelling by rail to get to work in Brookline. We really appreciate everyone's input here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts