Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 32,596 times

Advertisements

I am looking to see what towns are within 30-40 min of Boston where houses are not too expensive. I am looking to spend 200K-275K. I am looking for a quaint and safe family neighborhood with a good school system. I am open to any area as long as it's not longer than 30-40 minutes from Boston. Both my husband and I work in Boston and I commute by train so I would also like an area not too far from a train station. I currently live in Foxboro and the train commute is perfect but houses seem to be really expensive in Foxboro. You don't get much for under $350K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 AM

199 posts, read 948,220 times
The MA housing market is still high for those not making $200,000 or more/yr. I hear you.

I grew up in North Attleboro and didn't realize that Foxboro's housing is becoming more and more expensive too. It didn't used to be so expensive years ago but the housing market went crazy in the 90s and early 2000s and hasn't been good for people not making a king's ransom.

Have you looked at Melrose, Stoneham, Reading, or Wakefield? Of these, Melrose is the closest to the city with a number of commuter rail stations and a short distance to the Oak Grove T station. I saw single-family houses listed within your price range. Schools are decent.

There are single houses in Salem within your price range, but the schools might be an issue. Dedham/Norwood area is another area.

I'd say widen your circle and horizons. It becomes a trade-off and what you're willing to consider. There are condos within your price range in Belmont and Arlington, but you'll find single-houses within your price range in Melrose.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 32,596 times
Thank you Wivenhoe. That was very helpful I will check out those places. I can't believe the houses in Foxboro for 270K- you don't get much of a house for that price. I don't know what kind of jobs that people have to afford Foxboro. My husband and I both have decent jobs and make 100K combined. It's just never enough. We have a daycare expense that eats up a lot of it too.

Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 PM

199 posts, read 948,220 times
We're in a similar boat with income and expenses. Not everyone in MA makes a million or half million, but it certainly feels like it.

I'd suggest taking a look at Natick, Walpole, Milton, Saugus, Sudbury, and Wayland. Sudbury and Wayland are more affluent with excellent school systems and somewhat close to the commuter rail station in Lincoln or Natick. Admittedly there are not many single family homes in your price range in Sudbury or Wayland but you may find a couple older bungalow types.

I would say to look at Mansfield, North Attleboro, or Plainville except I think you want to be closer to Boston rather than farther away. I'm not sure if Sharon or Stoughton is any cheaper than Foxboro either.

I'll let someone else suggest else suggest areas on the South Shore. I know Hingham is desirable but I don't know about housing prices there.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wivenhoe View Post
I'll let someone else suggest else suggest areas on the South Shore. I know Hingham is desirable but I don't know about housing prices there.
You could maybe find a tool shed in Hingham in that price range. South Shore towns to consider, that would fall into the 30-40 minute commute are Hanover, Abington, Whitman or Pembroke, there are houses available in that price range but probably even smaller, more outdated and/or in undesirable locations than what you would find in Foxboro for the same price. Whitman and Pembroke are the furthest away and could be pushing the commute time. Of the 4, Hanover has the best school system but the budget will also get you the least amount of house.

Good luck. Maybe a condo or holding off on purchasing until daycare costs are no longer in the equation is an option?

Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
I would add Braintree to the list of towns south of Boston. It's another town where the housing costs seem to be relatively low, by the standards of the Boston area, which is a decent town located fairly close to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts