Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 6,403 times

Advertisements

Hello--
I am a single mother looking to move to Salem, Mass with my son next year around August. We have been visiting the town every year for 4 years in a row, and fell in love with everything about the town.
I have a few questions:
-We have looked up apartments for rent online, but most results or expensive condos or lofts. Are there ANY small apartments avail. in Salem?!!? Especially ones close to the center of Salem and in the price range of $500-800 with utilities included and pet friendly. It is just me and my son, so we aren't looking for any high luxury home, just a small, quaint apartment.
-What is Salem State University like? My son plans to sign up there for the fall semester next year when we make the move.
-Any other helpful hints and advice you can offer to us would be great!!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 02:20 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Offhand, I'd say the budget is too low, especially on the low end. It is also hard to find apartments that allow pets (at least dogs).
Wish I could be of more help.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:08 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,464 times
I could be wrong but I think it will be impossible to find an apartment in that budget, particularly with 2 bedrooms and utilities included.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 AM

199 posts, read 949,041 times
We paid $525 for a two-bedroom without utilities near the Common in 1994 and then $725 in North Salem in 2001; we didn't have pets or our son then. Everything was really cheap then and you didn't have as many luxury apartments like Jefferson Station or the ones recently built on Derby Wharf. I hate to say it but we rented half of a beautiful house each time with excellent landlords. Of course, these apartments have now been flipped into condos and the owners made off like bandits.

Unfortunately, since 2001/2002 the rents have doubled or tripled in Salem and elsewhere in MA. There's been a slight reduction in the rents with the housing/job market tanking, but rents are still a bomb, in my opinion, and have not been reduced to pre-2001 prices.

You might get a two-bedroom for $900 without utilities if you're really lucky, maybe. But I don't know about trying renting with a pet under your budget.

Look on Craig's List and the classifieds of the Salem News (Home » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA). I'd also suggest looking at Salem State's website. You may find something posted at one of the stores or restaurants near Salem State as well.

Salem State is a good state college, soon to be university. It's largely a commuter school, meaning most students do not live on campus but live at home or nearby and work while going to school.

Sorry I wish we could turn the clock to pre-2001 with the housing.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Thanks for all your replies guys!!

Its very unfortunate that alot of housing these days is very expensive! I know its a tourist spot and has alot of great locations, but wow I didnt know it was that tough!
I can remember just this year walking the side neighborhood streets (particulary near the little shops by Laurie Cabots), and wondering if some of those houses even have floors for rent. Being just my son and I, we wouldnt be looking for an extravagant apartment or condo, just a small nest to make a comfortable life out of. Is it all too uncommon to find rooms to rent even in Salem with a landlord and that sort of deal? Or what about neighboring areas? Are there any areas within reasonable walking distance from Salem with less expensive homes? (Reasonable in my standards is every year we stay at a motel called Clipper Ship Inn off Bridge street which is about a 20 min walk to the center)
Also, we have begun speaking to Mark Wade who, I guess, is a popular real estate agent in Salem, Mass. so hopefully he can help us out even more,

Thanks guys!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,464 times
Salem is not only a touristy place, but it is also close to Boston. That alone drives the price up.

Where do you live now? I cant think of many places with rent that cheap. Honestly, you are going to need to double your budget to be anywhere near Salem.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Ugh I never wouldve guessed theyd be that pricey. Pretty disheartening.. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts