Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 18,845 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My fiance and I are trying to decide if we can have a wedding and need to keep everything for 75-100 guests under $5K total, so the venue needs to be as cheap as possible. We'd like to find something on the south shore, or not too far in other directions from Boston and have it be as all-inclusive so that we don't have to rent chairs and all the other hundred other details that quickly add up. Does anyone have any suggestions for venues or pulled this off with a similar budget? We're not looking for a church wedding, so a reception combo would be great.

Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,211,819 times
It depends on how much your family and friends are willing to help with the wedding day. Perhaps find a VFW hall to rent. Have a cash bar. Make your own cheese and crudite boards. And do a potluck on the food. Or if you use a caterer, skip the fancy foods. For a wedding cake, you can save a lot by getting a nice big cake from a bakery, but don't tell them that it's for a wedding.

One of my friends a long time ago, rented out a small restaurant space in Western, MA by a lake in the fall. So the restaurant wasn't busy like it usually was in the summertime. Cash bar. And the dinner was family style served roast turkey and the fixings.

Another friend got married at the Unitarian church in Groton. A small pretty church with a meeting house next to it. The dinner was in the meeting house. I don't know if the tables and chairs were rented. Dinner was buffet style Peruvian food. I remember that there was wine with dinner. Music was a prerecorded mix on a CD.

Things like having a full bar, picking pricey appetizers and entrée choices like file mignon are going to kick the bill up.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM

93 posts, read 405,176 times
Default wedding venues

Hi,
Plymouth, MA has a number of options that would fit within your budget. Isaac's was maybe $20/person a few years ago...the place looks a little dated but would get the job done. We drove around town and inquired in a number of restaurants, and it seemed that many were happy to do a wedding reception for about $30-$40 per head...can't remember their names though. John Carver Inn and Spa also does weddings, though I'm not sure if their charge is above your budget. Anyhow, I'd recommend driving around Plymouth and asking around in some restaurants there.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,366,192 times
Call Trueman's Catering in Rockland. They can probably help you find an inexpensive site and help you with catering etc. Another thought is the Abington Ale House- they have a cute function room. The Common Market in Quincy was always a good spot for small events as was the Fours. I am not sure of prices but all are lower cost for dining.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 18,845 times
Thanks for all the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts