Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,031 times

Advertisements

I'm going for an interview in Lowell next week (from Michigan) and at want to try and cruise a few areas while I'm out there. I need help finding some starting points. My hopes are:

1. Good Schools
2. less congested . . suburban . . .or suburban bordering on rural
3. minimize sticker shock with the move from Michigan (who knows though, maybe the pay will be incredible

right now we live in Rockford, Michigan ( https://www.city-data.com/city/Rockford-Michigan.html ) which we love . . great schools, scattered subdivisions surrounding a small, vibrant downtown.

Thanks!
Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 PM

255 posts, read 882,246 times
No offense but "good schools" and "near lowell" don't coincide. Everyone in the northeast knows lowell is severely lacking in the educational dept. However, I'm not sure what type of schools, grades, or standards you have in mind. My son already reads at college level, and is starting algebra and he's only 9. But that's from being home taght. He attends public schools but that's only for social reasons and because I can't afford a private school. If you settle in lowell or a nearby town, you may have to supplement your childrens education yourself, but not a big deal. As parents, we do that anyways.
Lowell is an old historic mill town, full of history and old new england culture, and home to a very high cambodian population. Have fun!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
You may need to go to Andover, down Rt. 495. Very $$$, though.

Lowell has yuppies in the nice converted lofts, not only Cambodians as stated by the last poster. But I wouldn't expect good schools in Lowell, but I really don't know.

Maybe Westford or Littleton, the other direction on Rt. 495?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:14 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,952,219 times
How far out of Lowell would be ok for your commute? This will make a big difference in what is recommended. Some of the closest cities/towns that I could recommend you check out while here would be Andover, North Andover, perhaps Tyngsborough & Dracut. Some very nice suburban neighborhoods, rural areas as well.

You might also consider the possibility of crossing the border into southern New Hampshire. Definitely more suburban/rural but higher property tax rates & less .gov services. Always a trade-off...

Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,068,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
But I wouldn't expect good schools in Lowell, but I really don't know?
Theres NEVER good schools or services in Lowell. Lowell is a cute little city in parts, but in no way shape of form can you get good services to save your life. I tried getting hooked up with job contracts and I was hooked up to Boston for that. I had to drive far to find any Aspergers syndrome meet ups. Lowell has none of this and I dont expect it to change anytime soon. Just the SSI office is all they seem to have.
Only move to Lowell if it has an influx or tons of new people from Boston area coming and then services might improve, but otherwise, DO NOT.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:50 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I think sticker shock will be an issue. Littleton, Westford, etc. are fine places with fine schools, but housing from Michigan to this area? A budget would help with suggestions.
Maybe if the OP wants to homeschool for academics but public school for social reasons, it doesn't matter as much what the town's schools are like. But Lowell could be rough.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Billerica isn't bad. Reasonable rent rates, decent schools, nice suburbs in some parts.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:24 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,804 times
My new job's branch that I'm going to be working for is in Lowell's "Crosspoint" tower. I was hoping I could work there instead of their Methuen location, but I'll take what they give me. A lot of people work along I-495 in Lowell, in fact thousands of commuters head to Lowell to work. It's a great location to work instead of going to downtown Boston. You'll see a lot of out of state, especially NH license plates in your parking lot when you get here. Working in Lowell and LIVING in Lowell are two different topics of discussion as you can see from these posts here about it.

One place that I'm considering to live in is Tewksbury BUT I don't have kids to worry about for the schools, it's so I won't have to deal with the highways too too much commuting to work day in and day out. The town of Tewksbury's only about 6 miles or so from Lowell, but that's according to mapquest. Yet people that I worked with before at this particular place I got hired from were living in this particular town and were telling me how they use different short cuts on the side roads to get to Lowell from there. It seems to be where a lot of people live that work in the Lowell, Methuen or Andover area. BUT, like I said, I really don't know how the schools are where I don't have kids, yet I DO know that a few people I grew up with, their sons and daughters went to the Tewksbury schools and they made out JUST fine all around. They certainly don't have "issues" at all! I really like Tewksbury's town center and they have Mirabella's bakery along Main Street! , Also some other neat restaurants & of course my "Balance Day Spa" is right along Main Street AND there's even a Market Basket for grocery shopping and all the other stores you could possibly need thru there. It's got a good 4 miles stretch of convenient stores & all that, you know what I mean! Like Home Depot & TJ MAXX etc...the important ones! I've also been to the Tewksbury Country Club for a few functions and it's absolutely beautiful there. Also just so you know, my friends kids went on to some great colleges from the Tewksbury schools and now to this day these "kids" who are grown up now have terrific careers & lives. Hey, if they can do it, you can too with your kids, regardless of what people are saying here about all the schools thru the "Middlesex valley" area of Massachusetts!

Andover would be nice too IF you don't see anything you like in Tewksbury. I've driven thru it millions of times on my way to my old office in the last several years. I know it's more expensive in the property tax area but it's still a pretty nice town just the same, take a ride thru there and you'll see it, there's some gorgeous side roads to wander thru. When you come here & explore the area you'll see what I mean. I know it's pretty convenient to get to Lowell from there too.

I actually prefer either town of Tewksbury or Andover. If you're going to be working in Lowell these two towns would be my first two choices & actually ARE my first two choices where I'm also looking around for a place, more of a condo though for me not a house. I need to be closer to Methuen/Lowell area too since I'll be working thru there.

The closer you are to where you work, the better off you'll be in the winter months getting there, that's how I feel. It seems to be a "snow belt" thru 495 area & I commuted from southern NH and they always got hit harder with snow and the snow storms that New England gets wacked with, more than us up in southern NH, so just keep that in mind while you're looking around. Try to find a home closer to where you work because of this reason alone. You'll appreciate this bit of advice in the end, trust me!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 08-06-2010 at 05:44 AM..

Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,944 times
Check out Chelmsford, Tewksbury, Concord and Carlisle. Haverhill's another good place, but it's a bit of a drive, IMO. I grew up in Chelmsford, so I'm a little biased on schools. But many of the public schools in the Merrimack Valley area are quite good. And most places around Lowell but not actually in Lowell are suburban.

Lowell itself...I wouldn't, if only for the public schools. But YMMV.

You're going to get sticker shock when you look at housing prices if you're moving there from Michigan--there's no way around that.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,982 times
Tewksbury, Andover, etc. will likely prove too expensive. I'd look the other way, toward Littleton, Westford, Groton, Pepperell. As brightdoglover said, even Littleton or Westford might be more expensive than what you're used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts