Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,288 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are both 30s and in theater and so our incomes are relatively limited. I will be working in Lowell and she has opportunities in Boston and Cambridge. We only have one car between us so we need to be in an area with good public transportation that doesn't put a lot of stress on either of us as far as commuting and that's reasonably priced.

I've been looking all over the place but I don't know the state that well. Lowell was not really to my liking, too many boarded up storefronts and buildings, dirty and gritty and a little scary. I like urban areas that seem a little more alive.

Anyone have some suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 PM

84 posts, read 289,554 times
Ballardvale

Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 AM

936 posts, read 2,062,122 times
How much are you looking to spend on rent/mortgage? That'll give people a better idea of where to recommend.

I grew up in Chelmsford, which is next to Lowell, and used to comute into Cambridge with a commuter rail/T pass. But that was a long time ago, and I don't know how housing prices have changed since then.

Billerica is another possiblity, since the commuter rail into North Station stops there, and IIRC, housing was a bit cheaper there. Dracut is another town with cheaper housing, but it's not on the commuter rail line.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,288 times
Ok so in reality I can really only afford no more then $1200 a month and that's pushing it! I currently live in Norfolk, Virginia were everything is much cheaper. And as of right now we are following my job and she won't have work so I'm really confused and freaked out!

Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 PM

936 posts, read 2,062,122 times
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you might be boned without a second car. $1200/mo rules out a lot of places, but not everywhere. I still suggest Billerica, since it's on the rail line between Lowell and North Station. At least it's a place to start looking.

Have you looked around UMass Lowell? Universities usually have cheap housing around them.

The other possibility is to get a cheap beater that'll make it through one winter, and drive it till it falls apart. The second car will let you two live farther into the country, where housing prices are (generally speaking) cheaper, and let you commute separately till you can get established in the area. That may open up more possibilities.

Sorry if this isn't much help, but you seem to be in a tough spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts