Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 64,500 times

Advertisements

Is it quieter than it has been historically? My mother was down the Cape recently and told me there was a lot less traffic. Any observations? Are vacationers still partying and hitting restaurants as much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,118,794 times
LOL don't you mean the Bush Recession,i seem to recall being in a recession well before the election.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
LOL don't you mean the Bush Recession,i seem to recall being in a recession well before the election.
And we're supposed to blame Clinton for the 9/11 recession bubble mess that Bush stepped into? Please.

It's about getting to work and executing logical effective solutions to today's problems. This guy blew his chance to do so with insane tax and spend policies rather than cutting taxes and building a vision/confidence for future business. When we're still in recession 3 years from now he'll still blame Bush.

Never voted for Bush but on his watch he pulled us out of recession with what turned out to be some pretty effective economic policies.

I fear Gov't size/policies and the economy is now beyond the point of no return. So it's up to us to 1) take care of yourself 2) take care of your family.

And you'll be ok..

Old 07-15-2010, 04:10 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,346,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrownie277 View Post
And we're supposed to blame Clinton for the 9/11 recession bubble mess that Bush stepped into? Please.

It's about getting to work and executing logical effective solutions to today's problems. This guy blew his chance to do so with insane tax and spend policies rather than cutting taxes and building a vision/confidence for future business. When we're still in recession 3 years from now he'll still blame Bush.

Never voted for Bush but on his watch he pulled us out of recession with what turned out to be some pretty effective economic policies.
It is the wrong forum, but Obama actually cut taxes in the stimulus bill. And half the current deficit is Bush's earlier tax cuts, which (contrary to your suggestion) did nothing at all to help the economy while destroying the fiscal outlook. Despite significant productivity gains, real wages for most American workers were down during the Bush years. But don't let facts get in your way or anything.

If we're still in recession 3 years from now, it will be because Obama proved too willing to compromise with Congressional Republicans who were primarily interested in watching him fail. It's for that reason that he reduced the size of the stimulus to well below what most economists considered necessary to make up for the total lack of private investment at the time.

Essentially Obama proposed watering a very thirsty plant, the Republicans convinced him to use less water, and now they're blaming him because the plant's still thirsty. He should have stuck to his guns.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:19 PM

Ahem. Not sure how that happened... but..

What's the story with the Cape? Has it slowed?

Old 07-15-2010, 06:25 PM

10,087 posts, read 15,849,342 times
This is just anecdotal, but my daughter and her college friends were able to rent a nice house July 4th week on really short notice. I have no idea how the motels or restaurants are doing.

To update, I asked her if it was less crowded and she said after the weekend the beach was dead. They didn't go to any restaurants, other than to get take out, but she said the bars didn't feel as busy as in previous years.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-15-2010 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 07-15-2010, 06:59 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,118,794 times
I can add that i was in York Maine for the 4th of july week and it was absolutely mobbed. A lot of people were from Mass(at least 90%) and most were talking about how southern Maine was the new cape. A lot of families were skipping the traffic and high prices and finding a new place to vacation.Thus creating traffic and some waht higher than normal prices. Iknow southern Maine is not a new vacation destination but i have going there on the same week for the last 15 years and the last 2 years have been the busiest by far,i think a lot of people are going north and for going the cape.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I can add that i was in York Maine for the 4th of july week and it was absolutely mobbed. A lot of people were from Mass(at least 90%) and most were talking about how southern Maine was the new cape. A lot of families were skipping the traffic and high prices and finding a new place to vacation.Thus creating traffic and some waht higher than normal prices. Iknow southern Maine is not a new vacation destination but i have going there on the same week for the last 15 years and the last 2 years have been the busiest by far,i think a lot of people are going north and for going the cape.
This is what I was thinking might be the case. I have a place down the Cape and didn't make it out last year so not sure what's going on.. York, ME happens to be on my to-do list.

A quiet(er) Cape would be great - the sidewalks of Chatham are like NYC in August.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:37 AM

2,217 posts, read 5,395,778 times
Business owners in our area have said that they are enjoying a "robust" season. Traffic on weekends seems to support that statement.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:23 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,346,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrownie277 View Post
Ahem. Not sure how that happened... but..
My guess is that it happened because you titled your thread "Has the Cape slowed this summer during year 2 of ObamaRecession?" and followed up with a post about Bush's effective economic policies.

About your real question, my sense is that many people are going for a long weekend but not dropping a few thousand on renting a house for the week as they might have in years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts