Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 27,167 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just joined today in hopes to get some recent advice on the Maryland/Bmore area. My wife and I just moved to Towson and we are renting. Its ok here, a lot of college kids. We seem to like the city. We just moved from Chicago, and I have also lived in Atlanta and Phoenix, and Baltimore is smaller than all 3 and I like that. Baltimore does get a bad rap for crime, but all 3 of those other cities had just as much IMO. I'm not a big city living guy, i like the burbs cuz i'm really boring.

Anyways, I just got a job in Owings Mills and my wife and I are looking to purchase a house. We were set on Harford County but now I'm not so sure about that commute. People say they do it every day thru back roads, but I am not convinced. Would this be doable?

Also, what are some of our other choices? We are looking to have a family soon so schools are important, nice area, not too congested. We have looked at Westminster, Hampstead, Reisterstown, etc. Do you think those would be good options?

ANyways, thanks everyone for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Since you are working in Owings Mills, I would look at Rt. 140 towards Reisterstown and into Carroll County as it would be a much better commute than Harford County. The closer to Owings Mills you get, the more crowded and diverse the area will be. As you head out into Carroll County the landscape becomes more rural. Are you looking for a suburby type development or more of a rural small town?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 PM

thanks for the quick reply.

we have heard good things about carroll county but we also heard its VERY rural, like nothing for miles. We love our space and don't like places to crowded, but I also don't want to drive 20 miles just for groceries or a walmart.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Thats funny. Carroll County is farm rural with a growing suburban population. There is no place in the county that is 20 miles from a grocery store, and no place that is more than maybe a mile from a farm, house, store, etc. Maybe the most isolated part is 15 minutes from Westminster, or Eldersburg, or Sykesville, all of which have the stripmalls and modern conviences people expect. No part of the county is really the "middle of nowhere."

Old 05-24-2010, 01:06 PM

hmm, we have thought about Hampstead and Westminster. Both of those areas have good house prices and seem like good school systems. Could you make a best guess at what the commutes from these places would be?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
You can probably do Westminster to Owings Mills in about a half hour. I'm not exactly sure what the rush hour traffic is like there, as you'd be going in the direction of Baltimore, but I wouldn't think it'd be too bad since you wouldn't be going all the way in (although there are a bunch of traffic lights along 140 so it might be a little stop and go).

Westminster would probably be a decent choice...it is a litte rural but there are plenty of stores (and a mall) there, and it is much less congested than even Owings Mills.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
I'd shoot for some place near Westminster, which is a decent-sized but not overly large area.

You could also look at some places just across the MD-PA border like Hanover, but the commute would be longer.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 AM

thanks guys for the responses. gives me some insight on maryland since we have NO idea what its like here yet.

My realtor said that the commute from westminster would not be easy, however, i am unsure of what she considers bad. she said we would probably like that area the best out of the carroll county possiblities.

i think our only other choice would be reisterstown. the area looks decent.

this sucks, its so confusing for such a big decision.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 AM

You may want to put yourself up in a hotel in Westminster one night during the work week and then drive to work the next day down Rt.140 towards Owings Mills and see how long it takes you. 140 is stop and go until it becomes I-795 at Reisterstown.

If you choose Reisterstown I-795 should take you right into Owings Mills. I don't know much about Reisterstown.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Depending on where you'll be working in OM, you could have an "average" commute to work or it could be a breeze from Carroll County. Although I've moved out of Carroll several years ago, I still visit on a regualr basis and the rush hour is still decent.

Another good thing about that area is that there are some great alternate, country road routes you can take to get around. Nothing beats a relaxing, country drive for a commute!

Definitely take time to explore Carroll County as a home. We consider that area to be our "adopted" hometown and would love to relocate back there one day.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland