Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:06 PM

39 posts, read 106,868 times

Advertisements

not sure about the heat pump thing down here, but I do have two neighbors who complain about theirs in the winter. We have a geothermal system which is excellent and efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 26,135 times
To answer a bunch of Cecil County questions:

Just to clarify "in town" and "out of town" - if you look at Cecil County on Yahoo Maps they show the "in town" areas as shaded in beige. In these areas you will typically have town services like water, sewer, trash removal, etc. No beige shading and you are "out of town."

In Cecil County some houses have heat pumps, some have propane, some have oil tanks. With the areas "out of town", each lot typically provides its own heat, well and septic. Sounds a bit off if you're coming from NJ (like we did) but now I don't mind in the least - we have no water or sewer bills, other than pumping the septic system every other year (about $200), I get to choose my own propane co and my own trash company. If I'm not happy - I switch. Can't do that with municipal services. And my property taxes are considerably lower than someone "in town."

Where I am at we do have high speed internet via Verizon DSL or Comcast. I prefer Verizon, I find it more reliable. But we do not have Fios or Xfinity. For TV most people have either Comcast or go satellite with Directv or Dish.

These days lots of communities need to have an HOA. Building regs require things like a retention pond and the municipalities are not longer ponying up the money to take care of them so they throw it back on the community. But as one posted put it, HOAs can be a positive thing - restricting things like cars on blocks in the driveway, old appliances in the backyard, uncut grass, 5 dogs in one house, etc. - things that may not be regulated if you "out of town."

There is a mixed race couple living in my neighborhood. There are plenty of people who are transplants from Baltimore and the NJ/PA areas and we don't even bat an eye at it. But the Cecil County of 20 years ago was a different story and I think some people still think our little county is living in the dark ages when they make remarks about race. I have never seen any issue that would lead me to believe race is a problem in Cecil County.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 AM

8 posts, read 25,191 times
can anyone give honest info about the schools in northeast? they dont rate very well on great schools.com. we may move from ocean county, and we live in the sticks pretty much now. we are used to the 20 min. drive to get to shopping centers. im also interested in churchville. we havent checked it out yet, but will this summer. how about pa? im looking for decent schools, low crime...i have 3 young kids, oldest going into 3rd, so its important to have sports, etc. and things for them to do.

sandee and kjbond...im not on facebook anymore, so you both should have my email to get in touch. if not, personal message me. kj, i want to know whats the latest going on with you and the move!!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,674,611 times
Really nice townhouses, single family houses (various builders) great clubhouse and gated community is Bulle Rock in Havre De Grace. Cousin works at Aberdeen and loves it there.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM

49 posts, read 215,784 times
dlsuler -
Hi! Good to hear from you - I was wondering what was going on with you guys!
We are under contract on both our house here in NJ and the one we decided on in MD!! We are very happy - but of course nervous - everything really is happening so fast now.
We decided on Havre de Grace - the neighborhood is called Bayview Estates. A good, kid-friendly neighborhood was our top priority (after good schools) - so that was what clinched it for us. We also really liked a house in Elk Neck - but ultimately decided against it b/c of the neighborhood and wanting public sewer/water and natural gas. You might like Elk Neck if you are used to a little more rural. It has it's own elementary school and doesn't go to Elkton middle and high. We liked Northeast as well, but ruled it out early on b/c of the schools - just couldn't get past those ratings. If you want more info I can share with you what we were told - just PM me. Rising Sun is also nice - great schools - best rated (as far as I know) in Cecil County - again, a little more rural.

The other big plus for Havre de Grace is the waterfront area and the fact that it's only like a 5 or 7 miles to APG - my husband commutes 45 minutes plus now, so it will be a nice change.
He starts work down there mid-August - so we should be closing the week before that. Wish us luck!!! Keep me updated - when will you be moving?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 AM

78 posts, read 309,674 times
In Cecil County you'll find that Comcast services much of the area. however, I have a property in Rising Sun (also cecil County) and the carrier is Armstrong.

As for heat pumps, there is limited or no natural gas in Cecil County. (I think that in some areas of Elkton they have natural gas) Therefore HVAC is often electric. The heat pump is more efficient than, let's say, baseboard electric. It will do an excellent job drawing heat from the earth until temperatures drop below about 30 degrees. Then, they revert to a back up electric module. They're very good, clean, and efficient for both heating and cooling.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,382 times
Hello All,

I will be relocating to MD in late Aug. to work at APG. I'm coming from the south and the cost of living is going to be a major adjustment for me. I'm looking for an apartment or a nice rental condo/townhouse. My major concern is safety, as I'm a single female. In addition, I'd like to be no more than a 20min commute from APG. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM

40 posts, read 129,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Really nice townhouses, single family houses (various builders) great clubhouse and gated community is Bulle Rock in Havre De Grace. Cousin works at Aberdeen and loves it there.
Do Bulle Rock kids go HDG schools? How do HDG schools compare to Bel Aire schools ratings wise? I read somewhere (and don't know how reliable it was) that HDG at one time had drug problems and am wondering if that is true and if so, if it is stillthe case?

Also, I keep seeing references for the Paddocks in HDG....is the Paddocks part of Bulle Rock?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 AM

377 posts, read 1,115,638 times
We actually looked at houses in the Paddocks of Bulle Rock, they were very nice. Bulle Rock itself did not fit my family. It was very nice though, but strict and HOA high (you get a lot) We had to rule it out, because of schools. I did like the Paddocks though a lot, and it seemed like a cute area.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM

40 posts, read 129,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
We actually looked at houses in the Paddocks of Bulle Rock, they were very nice. Bulle Rock itself did not fit my family. It was very nice though, but strict and HOA high (you get a lot) We had to rule it out, because of schools. I did like the Paddocks though a lot, and it seemed like a cute area.

so now i'm really confused since i've been hearing HDG schools are on par or just below Bel Air ???? Schools is foremost for us since we have elementary, middle and eventually high school to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland