Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 07:51 AM

62 posts, read 201,079 times

Advertisements

I just had one question about hagerstown. On my atlas it is boxed and enlarged for detail in a seperate place. In Alabama cities like Montgomery, Birmingham, and Mobile are done like this, but hagerstown only has a population of about 30,something, thousand people, and I can't seem to find pictures of downtown or a aerial view, just of individual buildings. So I was just asking, does the city have skyscrapers, or at least tall buildings, does it have a lot of shopping and is it anywhere close to being like fredericksburg? thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 10:15 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Hagerstown doesn't have any skyscrapers. It has several buildings between about 5-10 stories downtown, and that is about it. It is a regional center for Washington County and the surronding counties in PA and WV. An Hagerstown metro areas that has about 200,000 people or so, which is why it received a special blow-up map in the atlas It is also a important Transportation hub as I-70 and I-81 intersect there. I don't know much about Fredericksburg, but Hagerstown is about the western limit of the D.C. sprawl in Maryland. It is a quickly growing area and has suburban staples like traffic, big box retailers, subdevelopments, large commuter populations, but still has a agricutural feel to it.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 9,010 times
I live in hagerstown and everything westsideboy said is correct. No real skyscrapers but that is because they are trying to preserve the historical aspects of downtown hagerstown. I'm in my mid 20s and I have watched this little town grow up very rapidly in the last 10 years or so. It may have an agricultural feel right now but in another 10 yrs I doubt we'll have much grass left. Also the average cost of a home is going through the roof around here and truthfully, unless you get something in a subdivision, they aren't that great.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,932 times
Default Hagerstown -What it is

Hagerstown is the largest employment center in Western Maryland (a three county area.) Within the city limits, the population is about 36,000, but that doesn't include the population of the larger suburban area. The city's nickname from the last century is the "hub city," since it's been a transportation hub since the 1700's. Like Fredericksburg, this is Civil War tourism country. Antietam Battlefield is just south of town; Harper's Ferry isn't much farther; Gettysburg is about an hour away. The housing is more affordable than in the towns east, such as Frederick, Gaithersburg, Rockville. And this is a big community when it comes to shopping - Prime Outlets has a large center. Hagerstown isn't as spiffy as downtown Frederick, but it's got it's charm and quirks (Krumpe Donuts, tubing on the Potomac, a great Blues Fest).

Old 11-13-2008, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,072 times
Hagerstown does have Potomac Towers in it's downtown, and Potomac Towers is 18 stories tall. I would think that it would be considered a skyscraper. You can see it from a good distance away. There are also a few other 10 - 11 story buildings downtown as well. The hospital downtown is pretty tall, but looks even taller because it sits on a hill. But the building itself is just huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland