Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 11:40 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Interesting. I'd never heard a trace of it until the other day in Prince F., despite living some time on the Eastern Shore and a few months now in lower Anne Arundel.

I have heard a lifetime of the "lower Mid-Atlantic" accent, aside from the Baltimore metro (and some ways into Carroll County), Delaware, South Jersey, and Philadelphia, and I had assumed that it just stretched across MD. I would have thought it unlikely that DE shares this accent and that the Eastern Shore, at least the major part of it, does not. But I haven't spent much time south of Wicomico & Worchester counties.
To my ear the dialect you are referring to fades to what I call "the Mid-Maryland drawl" west of Westminster and into Frederick County's old bastion of locals heading west, not sure about other directions, but the folks I know from Cecil and Harford counties have more generic Midland dialects.

Most of Maryland is in the Midland dialect region. The hold-out areas of Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore are likely moribund at this point, unless you guys know the kids are still speaking this dialect in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 12:07 PM

187 posts, read 363,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
That's a new one !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-At...erican_English

Old 02-14-2021, 12:27 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
To my ear the dialect you are referring to fades to what I call "the Mid-Maryland drawl" west of Westminster and into Frederick County's old bastion of locals heading west, not sure about other directions, but the folks I know from Cecil and Harford counties have more generic Midland dialects.

Most of Maryland is in the Midland dialect region. The hold-out areas of Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore are likely moribund at this point, unless you guys know the kids are still speaking this dialect in these areas.
St. Mary's and the more remote areas of Charles, yes. Not so much in Calvert, it's become an outpost of Montgomery and Howard Counties.

Away from Ocean City on the Shore it remains.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:17 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
St. Mary's and the more remote areas of Charles, yes. Not so much in Calvert, it's become an outpost of Montgomery and Howard Counties.

Away from Ocean City on the Shore it remains.
Yea, Ocean City has a lot of transplants from PA and even a few from NY and NJ. And Salisbury, being a collage town, has a lot of transplants from other parts of MD and PA as well.
Get away from those areas and it is still around. Even in and around Ocean City it is still around as there are plenty of locals and transplants from southern MD and VA's Eastern Shore, especially in the fishing community.

I have lived here for years but I grew up in PG county (shhhhhhh) in the 70's/early 80's when it still had tobaco farms all around. Many in that area had an accent in those times as well.

I got a kick when I flew up to Statin Island to do a boat delivery south. The lady at the deli asked me to repeat my order several times as I had such a strong southern accent and she couldn't understand me. LOL! She had that typical Statin Island NY accent and she was stating I had the accent. It was basically the same when I stayed in Central Jersey for a few month's one summer. Quite comical realy.

But of course the lower shore, eastern NC and living a bit in South FL has pretty much determined the way I talk!

Old 02-15-2021, 03:09 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Been in Charles County since 80 . Now yes there are some with a Southern tone and as I mentioned before St. Mary's own special dialect itself. I will disagree about it being all mid Atlantic". Maybe it has gotten washed out but coming from NJ have never really experienced it. I hear people and I can do can pretty well figure out their locations if they are from area's in New England. To me VT +NH are different then Me and Mass and Boston is different from them all .Mid Atlantic not so much.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:32 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Chuck County accents are fading away with the influx of residents from PG County and DC. It has an inner city vibe now. I remember seeing the KKK at the courthouse in LaPlata less than 20 years ago.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:15 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I'm from Montgomery County and according to my dad, who is not from here, I have a slight southern accent. This was news to me and the only example I can come up with is I use the term "Y'all" because it's just so damned handy.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:03 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Chuck County accents are fading away with the influx of residents from PG County and DC. It has an inner city vibe now. I remember seeing the KKK at the courthouse in LaPlata less than 20 years ago.
What does the KKK have to do with accents or dialect that we are discussing?

Old 02-15-2021, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 10,740 times
In the Glen Burnie area, the people there speak with a slight Southern drawl. In fact, I remember getting off I-695 in the area and stopping at a Hardees for a plate of biscuits and gravy. Being from NC, I was very shocked to find a Hardee’s that far north! I have to wonder exactly how far north in Maryland do you hear Southern accents? I have seen Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, and Shoneys along I-95 heading towards Delaware in places like Aberdeen and Havre de Grace. Restaurants I consider to be Southern...

Old 02-16-2021, 11:49 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santie27 View Post
In the Glen Burnie area, the people there speak with a slight Southern drawl. In fact, I remember getting off I-695 in the area and stopping at a Hardees for a plate of biscuits and gravy. Being from NC, I was very shocked to find a Hardee’s that far north! I have to wonder exactly how far north in Maryland do you hear Southern accents? I have seen Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, and Shoneys along I-95 heading towards Delaware in places like Aberdeen and Havre de Grace. Restaurants I consider to be Southern...
There is no clean cut off point between the Midland and Southern dialects in Maryland. To people from the north, all the natives probably sound at least a touch Southern. To people from the South, all but the remaining regions mentioned the old Southern dialects, likely sound a bit Northern.

Before the influx of transplants into Centeral Maryland, the rough dividing line was normally about Glen Bernie or Annapolis, but I don't think there was ever a clean dividing line, more like a clinal transition.

To my ear Marylanders near the Mason-Dixon line sound like whatever Pennsylvania dialect is closest to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland