Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 11:26 PM

356 posts, read 835,331 times

Advertisements

I am debating where to move. SWF, 29, no children.

I work in Woodlawn, currently live in Ellicott City, and am looking at homes primarily in Woodlawn (townhomes around Johnnycake which are very nice, and the neighborhood seems great from what I've seen). Primary positives are (1) very close to work, (2) close to where I am, so can still easily shop/eat/etc at the same places.

If Catonsville, almost certainly north of 40, south of 70, again townhouse. Similar positives to Woodlawn.

Owings Mills: don't know anybody out there, however my friend may be buying there or Finksburg next year. I saw a few homes recently and they were very nice. And I liked the neighborhood and how close it was to various shopping centers. Main downside, commute to work would be closer to 30 mins, which I have 10 mins now and that is heaven.

I like EC very much but am not prepared to spend the price it would cost to stay here. I've lived in Columbia, there are some townhomes in my price range but not as many. It was okay, but it was 30 mins to work, and I really didn't like the planned nature.

I am presuming people are going to warn against Woodlawn, which I get (I've been told that by a number of people at work, admittedly several years ago when I started). My biggest concern with these however is they were all basically foreclosed on in 2008, and now they're at least half rentals and I'm not 100% convinced the market there has settled.

Anyone who's actually lived in either locality (particularly Woodlawn or Catonsville) I'd love to hear from you. I don't really need any more pluses for Owings Mills, though if you have any positives or negatives I'll definitely be open to hearing them!

I've considered moving further (Sykesville, Eldersburg) however again with the commute, I'm not sure I want that, though when I've visited there, I liked that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 02:59 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,123,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
Anyone who's actually lived in either locality (particularly Woodlawn or Catonsville) I'd love to hear from you.
When I worked as a contractor for SSA, I bought a brick rowhouse on Kirkwood Road. That's consider Gwynn Oak, the same zip code as Woodlawn. I also checked Catonsville, but the houses were more expensive. Our goal was to renovate and resell after I retired. The main reason I bought there was that the house had ductwork and central air-conditioning. The Catonsville houses had radiators and window air-conditioners.

The renovation was a good experience and we made a little money. Conditions are different today, and you probably can't expect the same profit.

I am white and moved to a majority African-American neighborhood. The neighbors were pleasant and I had no problems. But there were a couple of scary crimes. Make sure you check crime reports and can live with the conditions.

If I were considering it today, I would probably look harder at Catonsville as the schools get better marks. Catonsville also has a very nice area with craft and antique stores. BTW, I know the houses on Johnnycake Road. I think they are OK, but check the parking and noise levels. Also look at places north of Liberty Road, esp. one townhouse community that used to be an apple orchard.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:44 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,123,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
I am presuming people are going to warn against Woodlawn, which I get (I've been told that by a number of people at work, admittedly several years ago when I started). My biggest concern with these however is they were all basically foreclosed on in 2008, and now they're at least half rentals and I'm not 100% convinced the market there has settled.
I agree with you there, that the 21207 market may still drop a bit. The other issue is that if you ever have a child, the schools are not very good. If you might have a child and want to stay in the house, then Catonsville is a better choice.

BTW, don't be afraid of the older rowhouses. They have quirks, but they are very livable. I have also seen one in Catonsville that appears to have modern ductwork. Let me know, and I can find the listing again.

My method of shopping for a house included touring the back alleys. If you see poor maintenance, broken glass, etc., stay away from that block. Also count the number of dogs, esp. the agressive breeds. Dogs are unhappy in such small yards, and they tend to bark a lot and be very agressive with people walking in the alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland