Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 6,516 times

Advertisements

My family is looking for an older home in a small, walkable town within 30min of Columbia. We came across Ellicott City and loved the feel of the Historic District. I didn't notice many parks or playgrounds, though, and it didn't look like there were clear walking paths to the Patapsco River trails.

Is Ellicott City good for kids? Are there moms groups? I drove by the RCCC on the weekend and it looked pretty packed with people and a lot of people hanging around outside so I couldn't see if there was a playground or not. (Is there?) I also read a review online that someone had their locker broken into, so I'm not sure if it's really kid/family friendly, anyway. (Is it?)

Are there any plans for the Patapsco Trails to extend down into Ellicott City (that might also accommodate a stroller)? Where do people go for outdoor recreation?

Last edited by seabreeze72; 07-13-2015 at 08:38 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 AM

123 posts, read 144,569 times
There is a lovely 1.5 miles trail between historic Ellicott City and Catonsville called the Trolly #9 trail. It starts close to the Patapsco River bridge in downtown EC and goes gradually up-hill towards Catonsville. You'll see plenty of people pushing strollers. I don't think there are any other trails that start in historic EC.

If you are interested in playgrounds, google "Columbia Area Mothers of Multiples", they have a nice map of playgrounds in the area. There aren't many playgrounds in historic EC, but if you are willing to drive a little there are great ones nearby (my favorites are the Patapsco tire playground in Catonsville and the playgrounds in Centennial Park).

If you are interested in outdoor activities with kids, there is a group called Columbia Families in Nature that organizes regular nature walks and activities. We have attended a few of their meetups. The people are very nice and most activities are free or have a nominal fee.

I don't think EC is very walkable for every day life, I think you need a car to run most errands. Having said that, EC (not just the historic part) is a very enjoyable place to live: safe, good schools, and with plenty of activities for kids.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:52 AM

BTW, there are no plans to extend the Patapsco trails to downtown EC that I know of. If the CSX trains ever stop running through EC, that would make for the most fantastic rails to trails opportunity along the Patapsco State Park corridor.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:13 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,109,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_indc View Post
BTW, there are no plans to extend the Patapsco trails to downtown EC that I know of. If the CSX trains ever stop running through EC, that would make for the most fantastic rails to trails opportunity along the Patapsco State Park corridor.
CSX is NOT going to stop running through EC. That is 'OLD MAIN' the original B&O route and still a major freight route. It would be more realistic to hope that it would start running MARC trains to Baltimore.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 PM

You are right that the CSX is not going to stop running through EC. I only said that in response to the question about linking Patapsco and EC. And my own pipe dream about how cool it would be to have a rails to trails along the length of the Patapsco State Park. Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the thread - sorry.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,308,366 times
Downtown Ellicott City is great for shopping, historical significance, restaurants, ect but you're right; there really aren't any playgrounds in that area. There is not a lot of housing in the immediate area of downtown Ellicott City really so while I love Ellicott City (and its my home), I don't know that I'd call it walkable like you are looking for. The vast majority of Ellicott City residents live in the surrounding areas (and there are many older neighborhoods) but they all require a car to get most everywhere kids will take you.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,669,588 times
My kids love the Roger Carter Center. The times I've dropped them off and picked them up, the place seemed very family-friendly. But maybe other folks who use the facility more often have another opinion?

Can't think of any playgrounds in the Historic District itself. Not too far away is the huge playground at Meadowbrook Park (Long Gate Parkway at Route 100). Don't go there if you don't like crowds, because that place is always packed! (At least on the weekends it is.)

When all is said and done, Ellicott City (like most suburbs) tends to be auto-oriented, the Historic District notwithstanding. It's something you just have to accept, if you want to live here.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:10 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,308,033 times
Behind the Wine Bin parking lot is some sort of youth center building and playgrounds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland