Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM

247 posts, read 364,082 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I are military about to be stationed at Ft. Meade in November. We intend to buy a house in the area since we will potentially be there for the rest of our careers and maybe even into retirement. We have 8-year-old and 6-month-old daughters, so we've been looking into school systems to figure out where we want to live. The problem is that there are some really good areas, and we just can't decide! We tend to be home-bodies and like conveniences nearby, but at the same time we like cultural things for ourselves and the kids like museums and performances, plus we like to have parks and walking trails nearby.

We're looking for a commute to work of 45 minutes or less. Plus daycare is an issue since we're both in the military. We will be trying for local daycare options, but we're also looking into having in-home help.

All of that combined, we've decided to look in Crofton, Gambrills, south Odenton (Waugh Chapel Elementary), Severna Park and Arnold. We think we can get what we want in our price range ($300,000-$425,000) in those areas. What I'm really interested in is:

1. What are the schools here REALLY like, at all levels? How well would they deal with kids with ADHD?

2. How long would the commute take from these places? What are the best roads to take?

3. Which places have the best ammenities as far as convenient local shopping, a good number of daycares, playgrounds, gyms, etc?

4. We would like a community feel, but which ones actually have that? Which are the friendliest?

5. How long does it take to get to the historic/cool places in DC like the Smithsonian, the National Mall and the National Zoo from these places?

6. What about Annapolis? What is there to do there?

Thanks for any help you can give me answering these questions. We're in Ohio right now, and it's so hard not being able to just go there yet and see for ourselves what everything is like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:29 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
my husband and i are military about to be stationed at ft. Meade in november. We intend to buy a house in the area since we will potentially be there for the rest of our careers and maybe even into retirement. We have 8-year-old and 6-month-old daughters, so we've been looking into school systems to figure out where we want to live.
crofton

Old 07-22-2012, 01:43 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
2. How long would the commute take from these places? What are the best roads to take?
Since Ft Meade is a huge area, the commute depends on exactly where within the base you are going.

I'll agree that Crofton is probably a best location for schools and quality housing. It would be 11-13 miles and about 25 minute to commute to the mid-point of the north edge of Ft Meade on Rte 175. Route 32 is more of an express route, further, but faster.

if you are going to DC for the National Mall or Zoo, plan on an all-day excursion. It might be an hour to 1 and 1/2 to drive to the Greenbelt Metro and take a train to the Smithsonian stop.

Annapolis would be a great choice if you like boating, but it's more like 18 miles and 28 minutes to commute, and I think that's optimistic.

I'll have to let someone else give you detailed answers on schools.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Since Ft Meade is a huge area, the commute depends on exactly where within the base you are going.

I'll agree that Crofton is probably a best location for schools and quality housing. It would be 11-13 miles and about 25 minute to commute to the mid-point of the north edge of Ft Meade on Rte 175. Route 32 is more of an express route, further, but faster.

if you are going to DC for the National Mall or Zoo, plan on an all-day excursion. It might be an hour to 1 and 1/2 to drive to the Greenbelt Metro and take a train to the Smithsonian stop.

Annapolis would be a great choice if you like boating, but it's more like 18 miles and 28 minutes to commute, and I think that's optimistic.

I'll have to let someone else give you detailed answers on schools.
We'll be working at NSA, for the most part. My husband might be jumping around a bit thanks to the program he's getting into, but as far as I know I'll be at the main complex. We thought about Columbia or Ellicott City as well, but I've heard horrible things about the traffic on I95 and its various sub-highways. Granted, I haven't really heard anything good about traffic in the entire area...

We're not really into boating, but Severna Park and Arnold are so tempting for what I've heard about the schools. I just don't know if they would be right for my oldest who has ADHD.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
We'll be working at NSA, for the most part. My husband might be jumping around a bit thanks to the program he's getting into, but as far as I know I'll be at the main complex.
The 9800 Savage Road address for NSA is apparently off Route 32, or it's accessible from the BW Parkway. I expect the traffic getting in is bad, whenever you arrive and from where-ever, as BRAC has been bringing people in for years.

You might post a separate question about schools for kids with ADHD to give it more attention, especially if the child has to be given medication during the day.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-22-2012 at 02:25 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

You might post a separate question about schools for kids with ADHD to give it more attention, especially if the child has to be given medication during the day.
That's great advice. This is really a worry for us since she is recently diagnosed.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 AM

92 posts, read 429,176 times
I just moved to crofton from columbia.

1.) Don't know about the schools, aside form having a generally good reputation. Sorry I can't be more helpful there.
2.) Ft Meade is pretty reasonably from here, I think 30 minutes would be average if you include the traffic.
3.) Crofton has built up alot over the last 10 years along route 3, so there are alot of basic shopping options (Safeway, soon to be Wegmens, Target, etc) really close, but you still will need to drive to just about anything. If you want fancier stuff (e.g. Whole Foods) you'll have to go to Annapolis, which is about 15-20minutes away. Crofton has a gold's gym and an LA fitness, I haven't looked into any smaller gyms/trainers but I'm sure they exist.
4.) I think the Crofton community if pretty friendly, you see lots of people out running, walking their dogs, etc. Alot of people work in Ft. Meade, Annapolis, and DC, so I think you could easily find some common ground with neighbors.
5.) I would give yourself an hour to get to DC whether by car or train. You can drive to New Carrolton Metro in about half an hour and ride in, thats probably the easiest.
6.) There's plenty to do in Annapolis besides boats. Lots of good restaurants (kinda heavy bias for seafood obviously) and bars, also a good place if you like local history. Its not the most exciting town, but enough to make for a good local excursion any day of the week.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 AM

29 posts, read 69,104 times
How about Laurel? It is about 15 minutes from Ft Meade with great shopping, close to restauranta department stores, lakea.l recreation..etc
1. The school here are nice if you compared them to other schools in California or Montana. My kids attented Oakland,Deerfield and Laurel elementary school and Im glad they did. The teachers were really nice supporting and thoughtful. The pta system was really active and always looking for ways to help the school community and even an individual student. My son onced told me he had a classmate diagnosed with ADHD and the teacher didnt ignore that student nor gave him special treatment different from others. Of course they helped him but didnt treat him "not right' unlike some of the people had told me theirchilds teacher had. Then they entered middle school and it was the same the teachers where great suppprting...etc another thing i loke about this is that everything is diverse not once had my child had been bully and trust me I.would know.

2. Already answered that about 15 minutes at 7 in the morning and 20 at 5 in the evening. Try route 1 just going straight to Ft Meade

3. Lets see many stores in Laurel. There are Safeway, Starbuck Giants Marshalls this korean asian store, Bank of america Chevy chase bank a car dealer not make that 5 mr tires a fewcDonalds Shoppers Marlows the hobby store Arbys, Mileston Daycare, CVS riteaida, Pizza Hut Papa Johns staples Michaels Bestbuys Lowes Home Depot Old country Buffet Kapabese Buffet Chinese buffet Eed Lobsters...etc andSO MUCH.MORE!!

4. GREAT community lets see the people are really down to.earth youll see moms with baby strollers at.the lake. I love the fourth of July fireworks! Plus theres a.Santa that goes to everyones neighbor hood and says Hoho and merry Christmas and if you are lucky get a present from him. Marathons wasy to.make friends..i dont know what to say hahah

5. Hmm its close to.Annapolis but to.me Annapolis is linda like Baltimore nothing much about it i guess you gotta ask Annapolisians about their city

6. I go to DC all the time i work there it takes about 30 minutes if in traffic to DC and about 23 minutes if ypu're taking backroads at anytime including rush hours..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland