Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 18,253 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Hagerstown, MD. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with. A commute to Bethesda... really how bad is it going to be? Do you feel safe living there? Oh, snow... I do have a Tahoe 4X4, and a Volvo fwd... do I really need to keep the Tahoe?
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 AM

461 posts, read 1,283,317 times
Snow here is not really that bad. I don't have any factual information in front of me, but I would guess we get between 10-20 inches of snow in a normal year. Usually in 3-6 inch increments. Roads are usually in great shape not long after the snow ends, in the more rural parts of the area it can be a little longer until the roads are cleared up.

Feel safe? Yes. Just like any town, there are good parts and parts where more crime seems to occur. If you have more specific areas in mind, I can let you know what to expect.

Bethesda is about an hour without traffic. Commuting time to Bethesda would depend on when you have to leave. It would probably add another 30-40 minutes to the commute if you travel during peak times.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Thank you for responding. I am looking at a house on Little Hayden Circle, Guilford Ave, Mulberry Street and Wayside Ave. Any advice?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Well first off, none of those areas are "bad" areas. Mulberry is one of those "other side of the tracks" streets. There is nothing wrong with living on either side, but on the North side of the railroad tracks the homes have yards, are bigger, a little more nicely kept, etc. South of the tracks, as Mulberry heads into town, homes are more like row townhouses with no yard.

Wayside is a nice little street, near a big park with walking trails, fields, play equipment, etc. Homes, I think, have decent yeards and are well kept. Safe area.

Don't know much about Guilford other than it is near the City Park in the South End. Safe area, working class, not far from the mall and shops/places to eat.

The newest and smallest of the houses would be those on Little Hayden. THat neighborhood is near a lot of shopping and convenience type places (7-11, dry cleaners, CVS, etc). Nice neighborhood, clean, new, small yards. May be an HOA there.

Wayside, Little Hayden, and Mulberry are North Hagerstown feeder district, Guilford is South Hagerstown high school feeder district if that matters.

Personally, I'd go with Little Hayden or Wayside.

Good Luck! Welcome!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Thank you so much for your information. It has been very helpful. It is very difficult to move and not have any idea of the area. thanks again..

Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 PM

No problem, glad to help.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,379 times
Default Need info

Hi! This is my very first post ever -lol- I am hoping maybe you can help me. My family and I may possibly be moving to Hagerstown. We currently live in Marlton, NJ (about 30 min. from Philadelphia), in a surburban neighborhood. We have two young children.

I am just looking for some general information on the town; schools, neighborhoods, culture, etc. I have heard good things but I have never visited the area.

I appreciate any feedback you give!

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barski View Post
Hi! This is my very first post ever -lol- I am hoping maybe you can help me. My family and I may possibly be moving to Hagerstown. We currently live in Marlton, NJ (about 30 min. from Philadelphia), in a surburban neighborhood. We have two young children.

I am just looking for some general information on the town; schools, neighborhoods, culture, etc. I have heard good things but I have never visited the area.

I appreciate any feedback you give!

Thanks!
Hi

The school district is Washington County, here is their website:

Welcome to Washington County, MD Public Schools

Most of the schools are good, some of the city school are struggling a bit but in my opinion it isn't from a lack of good teaching. Those that are struggling also have higher poverty rates and draw a tough group of kids.

I think the culture that exists in town is really good for a place this size. We have beautiful parks, a great art museum, a kids museum, a great downtown theater, two dinner theaters (I believe...Potomac Playmakers and Washington County Playhouse are both dinner and a show). The Maryland Symphony Orchestra is one of Hagerstown's gems that we have. We are a little over an hour from Baltimore/Washington and the cultural amenities those places offer as well.

I think I heard the Mayor say recently that our crime rate has been in decline. Crime is pretty much within the city limits along with some of the apartment areas that are lower income housing. I would say the crime rate is average for a city this size.

It would be easier to tell you yes/no on neighborhoods if you listed some potential streets. I would stay away from the immediate downtown areas. Are you looking for suburban type neighborhoods? Golf course community? Townhouse? THere is a pretty good mixture of housing available here and in the surrounding area. I also like the towns of Boonsboro, Williamsport, and Smithsburg in MD and Greencastle in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland