Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,170 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move out of Baltimore to the burbs with our toddler. We recently looked at the new Ryan Homes development in Elkridge, Claremont Overlook. It's between 95, 895, Rt 1, and Montgomery Rd. Our general impression was positive -- there's not much in the immediate area, but with all the major routes close by, it's a relatively short drive to everything we would need.

Does anyone have any information about this part of Elkridge or the schools? (Elkridge ES, Elkridge Landing MS, Howard High) According to online data they look decent -- certainly better than our current Baltimore schools.

What about Ryan Homes? I liked the area, and the model house (it's hard not to like the model with $100k+ in options), but I'm a little concerned because of all the horrible online reviews of Ryan. Has anyone had any good experiences with Ryan in Maryland?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 PM

318 posts, read 761,923 times
I graduated from Howard High. Good school -- when I went it was one of the better schools, don't know if that still holds true.

I just purchased a brand new Ryan Townhouse. Those horrible online reviews scared me too. A buddy I know used to do wiring for Ryan and said when he worked for them their work was sub-par but they have stepped up their quality a lot. I brought him along during the building inspections and he was really surprised how Ryan has cleaned their act.

I have been living in my townhouse for 2 months now and love it. There have been no major issues, and the issues I did have the project manager fixed for me ASAP. Just make sure to bring an inspector with you during both inspection phases of your home construction! I don't think you will be dissapointed if you went with Ryan. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask away.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM

79 posts, read 241,756 times
It is good to see some positive reviews about Ryan Homes. For sure you would have noticed that most of the problems are with houses built around or before 2006. That doesn't mean that those problems are not there anymore.

I am also considering buying a house built by Ryan Homes/Fox Ridge Homes in Murfreesboro, TN and was curious how far did you go with the inspection?

QUOTE=tgs_bg;22139077]I graduated from Howard High. Good school -- when I went it was one of the better schools, don't know if that still holds true.

I just purchased a brand new Ryan Townhouse. Those horrible online reviews scared me too. A buddy I know used to do wiring for Ryan and said when he worked for them their work was sub-par but they have stepped up their quality a lot. I brought him along during the building inspections and he was really surprised how Ryan has cleaned their act.

I have been living in my townhouse for 2 months now and love it. There have been no major issues, and the issues I did have the project manager fixed for me ASAP. Just make sure to bring an inspector with you during both inspection phases of your home construction! I don't think you will be dissapointed if you went with Ryan. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask away.[/quote]

Old 12-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsshanks View Post
It is good to see some positive reviews about Ryan Homes. For sure you would have noticed that most of the problems are with houses built around or before 2006. That doesn't mean that those problems are not there anymore.

I am also considering buying a house built by Ryan Homes/Fox Ridge Homes in Murfreesboro, TN and was curious how far did you go with the inspection?
I hired my own inspector to come take a look at the place. It was around $300 per inspection. It was well worth the money, as he did find a few minor issues that my project manager was able to immediately address before they became problems down the road.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,884 times
Any one knows about the Howard Square development by Ryan Homes in Elkridge? It's at the junction Rt 1 and 175--very close to 175 exit from 95. Any information about locality would be helpful. Is it low income family area? Thanks.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekum View Post
Any information about locality would be helpful. Is it low income family area? Thanks.
Well, the Route 1 corridor is an unattractive commercial area, so homes tend to be priced lower than the rest of Howard County. (You can find more explanatory comments on the Route 1 corridor by searching the forum.) I think Ryan is trying to price their homes for first-time home-buyers. Starting in the $260's, and with Howard County schools, it could be a good value.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM

79 posts, read 241,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
I hired my own inspector to come take a look at the place. It was around $300 per inspection. It was well worth the money, as he did find a few minor issues that my project manager was able to immediately address before they became problems down the road.
Hey tgs_bg, can you please advise in what phases of construction should I have an inspector take a look. We're getting ready to build the house soon by Ryan Homes.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsshanks View Post
Hey tgs_bg, can you please advise in what phases of construction should I have an inspector take a look. We're getting ready to build the house soon by Ryan Homes.

Pre-drywall and prior to settlement. Ryan homes schedules visits for you during both those times. Tell them you are interested in having an inspector out during both times and they will let you know when he or she can come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland