Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM

478 posts, read 809,667 times

Advertisements

I asked a while ago about neighborhoods in Baltimore because I'm still planning to move to the area this September for a job. Yesterday I went to visit the city again and am feeling kind of uncomfortable about the safety factor, so I want to do a little more research about Towson or places outside the city that might be safer.

-On average, how long would you expect a commute to be (counting traffic) from Towson to the inner harbor?

-Does Towson on its own have street life, festivals, activities, etc?

-Is Towson noticeably safer than Baltimore or is that more of my perception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Towson is arguably THE most important suburban community of the Baltimore area. Because Towson has the state's second-largest university, the state's 2nd or 3rd largest shopping mall, and is also the County seat, there are lot of entertainment, dining, and cultural options. Towson, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
I lived in Towson for a year roughly a decade ago (oh, how time has flown by) and it was a pretty neat place to live. The central area, around the traffic circle, has lots of restaurants, shops, and live music (I think the Rec is still open?) I lived within walking distance of the downtown and the Mega Mall and could accomplish nearly everything I needed to do without a car. Safety was never a issue for me, but keep in mind, my info is ten years old. I am not sure what you mean by "street life." I never really integrated myself into the community, which is one of the reasons I left after one year, so I don't know how much of a "community feel" Towson has. It felt more transplanty to me, but Towson has enough gravity of its own to be more than just a suburb of the city.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
There are also lots of "safer" communities to the south in AA county that you could consider. From there you could Park at the southern terminus of the light rail and commute into town that way. Getting off near Camden Yards it's only a few blocks to the Inner Harbor.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Towson is mostly college kids and families. Sounds like your looking to have a fun and active life, justly move downtown, trust me, you'll survive. Towson is a great place but I had to get out of there for my young professional years.

Plenty of the nice suburbs have more aggravated assaults and murders than neighborhoods like federal hill, locust point and canton. Locust point is the 3rd safest urban neighborhood in America, you should check it out.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:11 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
I asked a while ago about neighborhoods in Baltimore because I'm still planning to move to the area this September for a job. Yesterday I went to visit the city again and am feeling kind of uncomfortable about the safety factor, so I want to do a little more research about Towson or places outside the city that might be safer.

-On average, how long would you expect a commute to be (counting traffic) from Towson to the inner harbor?
About 30 minutes in ruch hour traffic.

Quote:
-Does Towson on its own have street life, festivals, activities, etc?
Yes. There is a bar-crawl area around the Circle with shops and restaurants. It's where a lot of students hang out.
Quote:
-Is Towson noticeably safer than Baltimore or is that more of my perception?
Significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland