Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,307,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Too early for fall colors in Sept., but still a great time to catch a high school football game up here. There are actually two Clays, identical twins at that. One started at halfback for most of the year, the other was the SE until the last few games of the year when he was moved to fullback, or was it the other way around Hard to tell with twins.
I believe the RB was Garrett. I can't remember the split end's name. Gavin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 03:48 PM

7,050 posts, read 11,355,201 times
Dylan Clay was moved to fullback, Garrett was the starting halfback.

http://www.forthillfootball.net/roster.htm

Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Dylan Clay was moved to fullback, Garrett was the starting halfback.

Fort Hill Football Roster
Thanks for the correction. The internet is wonderful thing. Thank goodness Al Gore invented it!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
Good point Steelers10, and don't forget those Frederick County schools like Urbana, Linganore, and TJ are huge in size.
After South Hagerstown just got moved up to 3A last year and North Hagerstown this year, the "big" Frederick high schools have been moved down into 3A from 4A. I'm not sure how it's fair for the two Hagerstown high schools with 1200 students each to be in the same division as schools from Frederick with 1700, 1900, and 2000 students respectively, but that certainly isn't going to make getting to the playoffs for North and South any easier.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 PM

461 posts, read 1,286,239 times
Still have an "East City High school" on the table, but has been pushed back a few years. More pressing school needs include a new South County E.S., West Hagerstown E.S., replacement of a school downtown that is really old, possible North County E.S. and some renovations to other schools. Growth has definitely slowed down, think the school system is trying to "catch their breath" a bit.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
Still have an "East City High school" on the table, but has been pushed back a few years. More pressing school needs include a new South County E.S., West Hagerstown E.S., replacement of a school downtown that is really old, possible North County E.S. and some renovations to other schools. Growth has definitely slowed down, think the school system is trying to "catch their breath" a bit.
Very true! They have finished (I believe) with the sorely need East Hagerstown E.S. (grades K-1 and 2-5 were split into separate schools) as well as the Antietam Academy Alternative Ed Facility. I must say while I laud WashCo's stance on giving Antietam a top-notch facility and this had been in the pipeline for a while, I am opposed to a new from the ground up alternative school being built while the three in-town middle schools are all essentially 40 years old give or take a few years.

Also, Bester E.S. direly needs replacement and the elementary schools need relief. Before building Antietam Academy, I would have built a new middle school from the ground up at the same site and just let Antietam occupy the E. Russell Hicks Middle building next door. Or I would have built at least two of the proposed elementary schools to the proportions that they built the new Maugansville E.S. (large), dispersed the Bester E.S. population between the new schools, and let Antietam Academy occupy the Bester facility until a new middle school was built (then Antietam could occupy the old middle school).

However, not building the East High (not to mention the renovations that will be needed to North and South due to excessive wear and tear) or addressing the middle schools is creating a backlog which is going to be expensive all at once when the bill comes due.

Last edited by Steelers10; 05-27-2011 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM

82 posts, read 266,348 times
My job interview went very well! They were so impressed that they did the second interview right on the spot so I don't have to go back for another interview. I just have to wait for their final recommendations to the school board and HR. They said I will know for sure in about 2 weeks but both assistant principals I spoke with said I would be a great member of their staff. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I really liked the area and know it would be a positive change for my family - especially my daughter.

I want to start apartment hunting but don't want to get too excited just yet.

Let's hope for the best!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:49 PM

461 posts, read 1,286,239 times
Good luck! Keep my fingers crossed for you.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 AM

7,050 posts, read 11,355,201 times
The hammer has come down. The kids in Little Orleans that attend high school in Hancock will have to go to Fort Hill. The middle school students there will be allowed to finish 8th grade, then be matriculated to Fort Hill in the 9th grade.

I also need to point out that apparantly Allegany has the highest student spending per capita, when compared to actual community wealth, in the state. The second link goes on to explain this more, but declining school age population in Allegany County have lead to big cuts in state aid, and the county government can't absorb the added cost without spending more money themselves. The Allegany BOE bashes the county for "not stepping up" with the extra funding, the Board of Commissioners (who don't have a quote in this article) have said simply that the money isn't there.

Anyway, I have been very critical of O'Malley on this board before, so I figure I owe him a shout-out for practicing what he preaches in terms of making sure education funding is a priority, even out in the sticks.

Quote from the second link:

"Superintendent David Cox called the budget process devastating in light of $6.5 million cut in state funds. “We expected to be down some because of fewer students, but not like this,” Cox said.

"A complicated formula, greatly impacted by property tax assessments, actually indicates that there is more wealth per student in Allegany County than in other Maryland counties, resulting in additional loss of funds, the educator said."

Teenagers already at Hancock High can finish there » Local News » Cumberland Times-News

Education budget reflects government funding cuts » Local News » Cumberland Times-News

Last edited by westsideboy; 06-02-2011 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland