Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:49 AM

688 posts, read 1,248,922 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to Maryland (Gaithersburg) and want to take a weekend to trot around the penninsula this spring (March or April to avoid crowds).

The plan is to hopefully have some good opportunities for wildlife/bird viewing.

I'd love to hear recommendations / suggestions-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,538,744 times
I highly recommend:

Wye Island: Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service

Assateague National Seashore: Assateague Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Kiptopeake State Park Kiptopeke State Park

Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM

501 posts, read 1,163,613 times
You have to go to Blackwater Wildlife Refuge. It is second to none in Maryland for bird watching- in a remote rural area south of Cambridge in Dorchester County. You can also visit the site of Harriet Tubman's former plantation - the Brodress Plantation - just outside the Refuge's boundaries. You'll see a historical marker just off the road at the edge of the field. "Downtown" Cambridge is 5-10 minutes away and there's a museum with more on Ms. Tubman.

I can't stress how beautiful it is in the Refuge - lots of wetland landscapes - trails right through the marshes - beautiful Loblolly pines. Start early and go in June if you can!

Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge | Dorchester County on Maryland's Chesapeake Bay

Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 PM

829 posts, read 2,958,597 times
I live on the Eastern Shore......There is actually a book called day trips in delmarva that gives loads of ideas on what you can do. Some great suggestions have been given already. I actually am from Dorchester County, and was born in southern dorchester county in the vicinity of blackwater, and that whole area is beautiful. Driving down to Hoopersville(where i was born) is a beautiful drive of ruralness and fishing villiages.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
I live on the Eastern Shore......There is actually a book called day trips in delmarva that gives loads of ideas on what you can do. Some great suggestions have been given already. I actually am from Dorchester County, and was born in southern dorchester county in the vicinity of blackwater, and that whole area is beautiful. Driving down to Hoopersville(where i was born) is a beautiful drive of ruralness and fishing villiages.
That sounds wonderful. I have yet to do that. When I go on Google Maps and try to do street view in Hoopersville, the closest I can get is the far tip of "Fishing Creek". It looks magnificent - there really isn't any other word. You say you were born there- if it were me I'd never leave!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Hey md guy-i moved when i was around 5th grade to Cambridge...at that time i didnt appreciate ruralness and that way of life...but as i got older I did. My dad actually wanted to move so i could have more friends, the ymca, things to do.. ya know...But yea my grandparents still live there, and will never move. My grandfather group up as a hardworker working on the water, eventually having his own seafood business. Its a great way of life. It is very beautiful, and I reccomend making the drive down there!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM

That's great, Celtic! I saw a video, on youtube I think it was, a while back showing the generational shift that's going on with the fishermen. It's because of the kids and grandkids of the fishermen / crabbers going away to pursue other careers, along with housing developments / runoff and environmental issues in the Bay - they were worried that the tradition of the Chesapeake watermen is dying. God bless your grandpa and I hope he'll be around many more years to do what he loves - that's great to hear the kind of success he had with it!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:22 PM

688 posts, read 1,248,922 times
Is March/April a good time to visit? Thanks for all the suggestions, btw!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Is March/April a good time to visit? Thanks for all the suggestions, btw!
I've never been during the spring. Perhaps Celtic can take this one?

I have a ball in June-August (It does get hot and humid, though! It's best to bike and walk on trail - careful of the mosquitoes!) because everything is so alive and green - PLENTY of herons. I reckon if you check a few websites, perhaps even the one I put up earlier, it would tell you about what you'd likely find in the spring as far as types of birds. September - early November seems to be another popular time for birdwatchers in that area from what I've heard - plenty of eagles.

UPDATE: They are having an Eagle Festival and Guided Birdwalk in March - I suggest the guided birdwalk!

Eagle Festival A family festival celebrating birds of prey. Rain or shine.
March 12, 2011
Starts at 8:00 am , Lasts 8 Hours
Eagle prowls, birds of prey, lots of crafts for kids. Rain or shine!

Bird Walk A guided bird watching expedition
March 27, 2011
Starts at 8:00 am , Lasts 4 Hours
with Harry Armistead

And, A Turkey Hunt and Bird Walk in April!

Youth Turkey Hunt at Blackwater Young hunters, accompanied by adult, can take part in the hunt at the wildlife refuge.
April 16, 2011

Bird Walk A guided bird watching expedition
April 24, 2011
Starts at 8:00 am , Lasts 4 Hours
with Harry Armistead

This is from: http://www.tourdorchester.org/attrac...?attraction=13

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks Md guy!

Id say come and visit any time ya feel like it! Im not aware of any times thats better then others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland