Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,648,960 times

Advertisements

There's nothing here about bear on bear crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 AM

476 posts, read 749,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
There's nothing here about bear on bear crime.
However, we did spot a couple moose grappling this past February…
Oh wait, that was in L.L. Bean!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 AM

169 posts, read 283,566 times
They got the perp, and he turned himself in. It's good to see that things like this get resolved quickly around here.

While the violent crime rate is low in Maine, the property crime rate is above the national average in my town.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:21 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,322,594 times
A rise in property crime usually results from two things:

--) An influx of drug use in the area. Users steal to finance the habit.

--) Hard economic times. When faced with a possibility of their kid going hungry or swiping a neighbor's TV, sometimes even good people get desperate enough to steal.

In Maine, the latter certainly happens and has probably increased over the past couple of years, but I suspect that most property crime is due to rising drug use.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:33 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revi View Post
This weekend a very rare event happened ...
It is sad anytime that anyone dies a violent death.

One thing to remember is that as you said this was a very rare event.

It does not happen daily in Maine, it does not happen weekly in Maine, it is a very rare event.

To anyone out there who may have known the victim, being effected directly by crime makes 'crime' seem much worse. We have lived in areas where violent crime takes place hourly. By comparison Maine enjoys an extremely low crime rate.

Being directly effected by crime makes it feel much worse, however here in Maine this is a very rare incident. Unlike in high-crime areas.

Quote:
... I think some kind of neighborhood policing is needed, or some kind of a model that puts cops on the streets more, and out of their cars in the downtown areas.
Hiring more LEOs means raising taxes.

So long as real crime does remain low, perhaps raising taxes to combat non-existent crime is not the right direction to go with this.

Quote:
...It is not just the cops problem, however. It is our problem.

If we want to continue to live here in peace we need to figure out real solutions to the rising crime problem.

If you post here, please no racism and if your solution is to shoot them all, we have already heard that now. Real solutions only, please.
Overall our modern society praises violence and gang activity.

'We' have allowed this to happen, and now it has become entrenched into our society.

It is common to see teenagers who are bored, who want to be gang-members, even though no gang exists. Because they perceive it to be cool.

Because we have allowed such to be seen as cool.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:35 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revi View Post
They got the perp, and he turned himself in. It's good to see that things like this get resolved quickly around here.

While the violent crime rate is low in Maine, the property crime rate is above the national average in my town.
I thought you said it was three guys.

???

Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
I don't know,.... I'm kind of "freaked out" today. Less than a year ago there was a double homicide just down the road from me. Today there was another a few miles away. There hasn't been much info released on this recent case as of yet but, in a place with such a small population, it does seem scary to me.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 PM

356 posts, read 704,836 times
The perp was with two friends, but they are cooperating with police and will not face charges. There was only one punch thrown. The victim was knocked unconscious and fell and hit his head on the brick plaza in Monument Square. A similar thing happened about 10 years ago on New Year's Eve, also in Monument Square.

Gray man, 20, charged in deadly assault | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Old 05-25-2010, 07:33 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,616,055 times
Rule #1
If you live in a safe - or nearly crime free - area, do not broadcast the location or name the town in such places as internet forums. Bad guys read forums, too and they just love personal testimonies about keys left cars and doors left unlocked.

Rule #2
Loose lips sink ships. In other words, see rule #1

Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,177,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Rule #1
If you live in a safe - or nearly crime free - area, do not broadcast the location or name the town in such places as internet forums. Bad guys read forums, too and they just love personal testimonies about keys left cars and doors left unlocked.

Rule #2
Loose lips sink ships. In other words, see rule #1

Irrespective of what we want to "call" them, there are mobs of unruly snots needing a swift kick to the hind quarters around most cities - Maine included. They should be taken a little more seriously here than they appear to be taken now as far as I'm concerned.

Overall, Maine is a very safe place; however, I don't believe this website's number of assaults in my area because it is too low. Other sites I have seen are too high. I know this from personal experience (which is what one should go by - NOT statistics generated from some far-flung crime website IMHO).

Yes, we do need to pay attention to what's going on in the underbelly of our communities, but when one assesses the rate of crime in the area they are intending to move, they should visit and speak to the locals for an accurate picture IMO.

Mark S.'s point should also be noted.

Last edited by cebdark; 05-26-2010 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine