Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,645,357 times

Advertisements

For the past 135 years, sardine canneries have been as much a part of Maine's small coastal villages as the thick Down East fog. It's been estimated that more than 400 canneries have come and gone along the state's long, jagged coast.The lone survivor, the Stinson Seafood plant here in this eastern Maine shoreside town, shuts down this week after a century in operation. It is the last sardine cannery not just in Maine, but in the United States.

Last sardine plant in U.S. shuts its doors - U.S. business- msnbc.com

More than a few moons ago, I lived in Cornish, ME. Certainly enjoyed my time there. Would not hesitate to move to ME again -- even with the last of the sardine canneries gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,700,439 times
If nobody buys sardines anymore what's the sense in canning them? China and Thailand still eat them and can them. American's tastes changed in the 60's with the advent of canned tuna in water. The sardine went the way of the buggy whip. There was a sardine cannery in Yarmouth when I was a kid. They put a zillion cans of sardines out of that place. We used to feed the seals from fish on the conveyor belt when they unloaded the boats. Now they truck the herring in freom Canada to process here. The herring are almost gone now so what do you can? I think they should foil pack Maine shrimp. People would buy those! Forget the cans.
It's always sad to see the last of anything go. I actually didn't even know there was a cannery still operating in Maine until they said it was closing. All the cans of sardines I've seen lately say Product of Canada on them.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:08 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,645,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
If nobody buys sardines anymore what's the sense in canning them?

From what I've been told, sardines were at one time a popular item in taverns. Just like nuts and other munchies.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 PM

News flash.... Sardine Plant may not close after all!!

Sardine Cannery Might Not Be Canned After All - Portland News Story - WMTW Portland (http://www.wmtw.com/news/23161944/detail.html - broken link)

Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
From what I've been told, sardines were at one time a popular item in taverns. Just like nuts and other munchies.
Yes they always had them for sale in bars when I was a kid. (don't ask why I was in bars when I was a kid). Many bars still have them. People used to take them for lunch. It seems that Veterans of WW1 and WW2 were kind of fond of them. They probably ate them in the service and got used to them. My Dad's friends all ate them while having a beer. I don't care for them but if someone offers me a sardine on a cracker I'll usually eat it. I prefer smoked oysters in olive oil or smoked baby clams. Those are good. I have a friend in the Sons of Amvets who makes the best smoked clams in olive oil you have ever tasted! It's a real treat when he brings some in to the bar. Like he did yesterday afternoon!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,036,889 times
More jobs gone.

Thanks to globalist free traitors.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:15 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,724,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yes they always had them for sale in bars when I was a kid. (don't ask why I was in bars when I was a kid). Many bars still have them. People used to take them for lunch. It seems that Veterans of WW1 and WW2 were kind of fond of them. They probably ate them in the service and got used to them. My Dad's friends all ate them while having a beer. I don't care for them but if someone offers me a sardine on a cracker I'll usually eat it. I prefer smoked oysters in olive oil or smoked baby clams. Those are good. I have a friend in the Sons of Amvets who makes the best smoked clams in olive oil you have ever tasted! It's a real treat when he brings some in to the bar. Like he did yesterday afternoon!
Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Inquiring minds want to know!
Dad liked a drink or two and watched us kids when we were little. Back then in Maine a paying customer could have his kids at the bar while he had a few shots without anyone saying boo about it. Not in Boston though ..we had to stand outside the bar on the sidewalk while Dad knocked back a few quick ones. It was his thing....not pretty but it's who he was.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
More jobs gone.

Thanks to globalist free traitors.
Yes but think about all the dolphins they're saving

Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,524,427 times
I love to eat sardines mixed with olive oil on my salad, with rice vinegar for dressing........mmmm good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine