Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM

10 posts, read 42,080 times

Advertisements

you have no clue about drugs here do u? there are marajuana fields in peoples back yards, there are everywhere, but not as much as here. i know 13 year olds (and younger) pot heads and druggies, okay. the thing is that when u come here, its not like a city with the drugs, it's not out in the open, not even at night, it's on the back roads in peoples houses/pharmacies!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
It is possible for those of us who are intelligent to post an opinion without being rude. I would appreciate your opinion to be expressed in a kind manner, "mainer1234".

Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer1234 View Post
you have no clue about drugs here do u? there are marajuana fields in peoples back yards, there are everywhere, but not as much as here. i know 13 year olds (and younger) pot heads and druggies, okay. the thing is that when u come here, its not like a city with the drugs, it's not out in the open, not even at night, it's on the back roads in peoples houses/pharmacies!!!
you could always report this problem to the local law enforcement....by the way, those helicopters flying overhead in the summer....they aren't tourists.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:25 PM

44 posts, read 94,862 times
I am fully aware of the drug problems in Maine. I have owned my house in Lubec for 8 years. I also have law enforcement training. (spent 10 years as a sheriff in Mass) as well as my wife and I have taught our kids common sence. And to talk to us about everything. As I appreciate all input and opinions I dont need aditudes. I am trying to build a better life for my family as well as give some actual licenced skills back to the comunity I want to call home.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith Construction View Post
I am fully aware of the drug problems in Maine. I have owned my house in Lubec for 8 years. I also have law enforcement training. (spent 10 years as a sheriff in Mass) as well as my wife and I have taught our kids common sence. And to talk to us about everything. As I appreciate all input and opinions I dont need aditudes. I am trying to build a better life for my family as well as give some actual licenced skills back to the comunity I want to call home.
nicely put!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,053 times
Ed,

I too have had a summer home in Lubec for years and my husband is a carpenter. He has never tried to get work there because we are always busy working on our house, which is an old one.

Lubec, is a beautiful place to visit...but truthfully, even I go stir crazy there after a couple of months. The nearest Walmart is 1 hour away and there isn't the convenience of Mass living (I grew up in Mass).

Yes, the allure is to live cheaply. I feel for your kids and wife though. The kids may be totally bored and the wife may be too, depending on what type of lifestyle they are used to.

Where in Mass do you live? I would say that if you live in a populated area, you are probably not realizing what you are in for. I have stayed there from June to Oct. for a couple seasons and it rains a lot sometimes. The feeling of isolation can get oppressive, even for me, a writer.

However, if you have a lot of friends there it makes the going easier, for sure. Being from away, I don't never made many friends up there.

Anyway, you'll never know what you can do if you try...so if you really want to do it...why not rent your home in MA and try it. Since you are self employed you can easily move your job around. It's not like you can't get it back if you leave.

The realtor that sold us the house said, "put up your shingle and they will come to you!" when asked about getting work there. Well, we haven't tried it and we are trying to sell our house there now because we want to move back to...you got it...Mass! We want to be closer to our family and friends...

However, I can tell you that in the summer, the pristine beauty of Lubec in unparralleled and it revives a spirit to HAVE to relax because it is a quieter way of life...so there are many a good thing about Lubec...and it does have a great sense of community...

I never experienced drug problems there, but my home was broken into twice...oddly enough they stold nothing because I don't leave valuables behind.
I agree with the person who said that there are a bunch of bad repair guys up there who tell people they know what they're doing...the woman we bought the house from had it happen.

So if you're a rugged individualist...go for it, but if you like your creature comforts well....look us up this Aug. we live at 302 N. Lubec Rd.

Good Luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,130 times
My parents have a summer home in Lubec. There are also many others who have summer homes in this town. It is very hard to find a good contractor in the area. There are lots of folks who do carpentry, masonry work in the area, however (and I'm trying to find a nice way to say this without offending anyone), many are not 'professional'. Its basically folks who are just trying to eek out a daily living doing chores. It would be tough to crack into this business, but word spreads very fast amongst the natives as to who you can trust and who you can't. If you get word out and show yourself to be a good resource, ie; someone who will stick with the job until completion, word will get out about you, and you'll have business. Like I said before, there are a lot of summer residents who buy cheap houses, and need a contractor to stay with them for months to remodel their homes. This would probably be the best income group to go after, as the native residents are fairly poor, and can't afford much. The best vehicle for business would be to get yourself in with the real estate folks and get word to the new residents about your services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine