Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:49 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times

Advertisements

What can you small contractors, independent carpenters, and tradesmen tell me about this new certification requirement? My husband has been out of work for months and now that his old sub-contract clients are looking for work to be done he n might have something to do for a few months. Unfortunately now I understand we have this new requirement to comply with to add to all the other expense we already have.
Does anyone know if there are free clinics or seminars out there to fulfill the certification guidelines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:31 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
There's a seminar in Portland in April, T. I'll look it up at once I get to work and let you know. It's an EPA standard that is kicking in.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
Here's the link to the EPA seminar: Region 1: New England | US EPA

03/23/2010: Contractors and Consumers: New Protections from Lead-based Paint Take Effect April 22; Public Info Session held in Portland, Maine on Friday, March 26

Unfortunately it was March 26th. But this was just the first one and they will be having more later on. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 AM

Thanks, R. I found some government websites that downloaded some manuals and info, a few dates for southern Maine. I still can't find anything definitive about fees. I'd like to hear that there is some low cost or assisted fees. My honey is just an independent contractor. It costs us enough that he has to pay for all his travel, tools and insurance out of pocket. Any info is welcome.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Thanks, R. I found some government websites that downloaded some manuals and info, a few dates for southern Maine. I still can't find anything definitive about fees. I'd like to hear that there is some low cost or assisted fees. My honey is just an independent contractor. It costs us enough that he has to pay for all his travel, tools and insurance out of pocket. Any info is welcome.
Surely he does the long form for income tax and deducts all of these expenses from his taxable income every year??

Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Yes, we have a local tax professional do our taxes. If we didn't we'd be screwed.
He will be working for clients in Washington Co. The 250 mile trip is a big deduction.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,589 times
just because you don't have to pay taxes on something doesn't mean it's not still an expense. These laws are created by people who sit around with nothing else to do and have little to no positive effect whilst constraining the ability of people to do work and make a living.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:26 PM

There is a lot of lead paint around on old buildings and it has to be removed and handled safely. Someone has to make sure the people working around this stuff have at least some idea what they're doing. Otherwise little Seth is going to get brain cancer from eating lead chips. Take the class. It won't kill you. If you worked anywhere else you'd need a real license!!

Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
There is a lot of lead paint around on old buildings and it has to be removed and handled safely. Someone has to make sure the people working around this stuff have at least some idea what they're doing. Otherwise little Seth is going to get brain cancer from eating lead chips. Take the class. It won't kill you. If you worked anywhere else you'd need a real license!!
This isn't about avoiding the class. It's about accessibility and affordability. We have both been unemployed ALL fall and winter. We have to prioritize our funds (now with the prospect of funds coming in) along with all the other debts that have been set aside. In addition my husband has a learning disability which precludes him from using a computer and excelling in a modern class environment. He has been in contracting and woodworking for over 30 years, has lots of family with young children, so he understands the danger of lead paint. This is about how we attain compliance with government regulation and not be subject to fines (which we can't afford either).

Old 04-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
This isn't about avoiding the class. It's about accessibility and affordability. We have both been unemployed ALL fall and winter. We have to prioritize our funds (now with the prospect of funds coming in) along with all the other debts that have been set aside. In addition my husband has a learning disability which precludes him from using a computer and excelling in a modern class environment. He has been in contracting and woodworking for over 30 years, has lots of family with young children, so he understands the danger of lead paint. This is about how we attain compliance with government regulation and not be subject to fines (which we can't afford either).
I 'll agree with you that a knowlegable person working in the trades as long as your husband has been should have some consideration. It's all a liability issue. The problem is now you have to take the class or you won't get any work. I have two friends taking the class now. They have been in the business at least as long as your husband but they still have to take the class. The premise for the law is wrong to begin with. The admission by the State that there exists a problem with lead paint is going to cause more of a problem than handling any liability cases on a case by case basis.

Last edited by Maineah; 04-17-2010 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: