Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,123 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have recently received 2 job offers. One in Bangor, ME and the other in Tilton, NH. I have visited both places and personally liked the NH area better. Of coarse when I say I have visited NH I mean I spent the day there. Oh and by the way the winters in either place don't scare me. I will be moving from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada so I am used to the long winters. Any input about these places would be greatly appreciated. By the way I am married with 4 kids so a good place to raise a family is important to me.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 AM

393 posts, read 985,232 times
For me the deciding factor would be your long-term outlook vis-a-vis health insurance. Simply put, health insurance coverage in Maine is ridiculously expensive, so I'd compare the policies, costs and benefits of each job. If you were suddenly left without a job, NH would have the more affordable health insurance. Try doing a search on the Maine forum on the topic of health insurance for some real eye-openers - it's enough to dissuade anyone who may be faced with paying for his/her own health insurance from ever moving to the state of Maine. Also, Tilton is in commuting distance to other areas with jobs; in Maine you are more isolated employment-wise - but of course that depends on what field you are in.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:20 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 827,147 times
I have a home in NH now and just finished another in Maine this Jan. If I had to work, I definitely would pick NH. There is no state income tax on your pay. As already having a job, you are one step ahead in both places. Property taxes in the Tilton area probably wouldn't be as high as other areas in NH. You would be relatively close to the lakes region and not far from major cities. I have shopped in stores and in comparing food prices I find Maine to be a tad higher, least in the area I am in. You don't pay a sales tax on items in NH which saves a pretty good amount over the long run and especially if you are buying higher priced items. Gas prices are higher in Maine but that could be all relative to each area too. I just paid 2.59/gal and up here it was 2.71/gal (down to 2.68 cpl days later). I can't speak for the hospitals in Maine because thankfully I haven't had a need but I can say, the hospitals down in my area in NH are fantastic.

I guess it all comes down to what you will be comfortable with. Maine is a beautiful state and I have found the majority of folks to be friendly and welcoming. To be honest, if I had to look for work or be dependant on a job, I wouldn't come here. Fortunately my work days are done so the choice was a lot simpler. Maine will be my final resting place.

If anyone takes offense to my comments, not intended to be. Just giving what I feel is an honest assessment based on presently being a person of both worlds and now spending time back and forth regularly.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,568,748 times
I can't speak for Tilton NH as I am not familiar with that area, other than my daughter and her family live in Dover, NH. I live in Bangor, ME and raised my family here after growing up in Massachusetts. It depends on what makes you happy so it is very subjective. I like Bangor and find they have a superior school system and a very high graduation rate. We are 8 miles from the University of Maine, Orono which offers many cultural things as well as great sporting viewing. We have a wonderful Children's Museum that serves kids up to about the age of 12, right in our downtown. There are many Art Galleries and more restaurants than I can count. One advantage to Bangor over Tilton may be it would be closer for you to visit Halifax, if that is where your family is. Bangor also has a Y and great organized sports for the under 18 group. I'm not sure exactly what it is you are looking for or how the jobs in each place compare. Being happy with the job you choose will be very important as well. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Just as an aside. I here my daughter in NH frequently complain about some of the services they don't get or have to pay high fees for as there is no sales tax there. For example here in Maine when there was the scare of the H1N1 flu virus there were many clinics here in Maine that were free of charge. In NH there was nothing. In NH they pay to have their household trash picked up but here in Maine it is covered by our realestate tax.. I'm sure as you explore more you will find many differences. One of the things I love about Maine is the "coast". We have over 2000 miles of coastline and where I live we are only about 4O minutes away. NH has a very small coastline, if you live in the Portsmouth area.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 AM

3,696 posts, read 7,467,173 times
Do both jobs offer the same in terms of compensation and benefits?

I like Maine but I would probably choose Tilton, NH based on its better proximity to Boston and all that it has to offer and the likelihood of a lower overall tax burden than in Maine.

On the other hand, if you will still have family in Nova Scotia, then Bangor is 1/2 a day closer.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:12 PM

13,010 posts, read 22,195,819 times
gf2020 makes a good point. If you have family that you'll want to visit, Bangor is MUCH closer to Nova Scotia. That may make all the difference in the world. Tilton is less than 40 minutes from Manchester and Manchester's airport (which offers a LOT more at less of a cost than Bangor) and 1.5 hours from Boston which does have direct flights to Halifax. Bangor is about 5 hours closer to Halifax by car though.

Bangor offers more in the IMMEDIATE vicinity in the ways of shopping, dining, and other amenities. However, as has been established, Tilton is about 25 minutes from Concord, 40 from Manchester, and 90 from Boston. Tilton is closer to more than Bangor if you're willing to drive a little bit. Both areas have nice, walkable centers. Bangor is a regional hub city of about 30,000 people while Tilton is quite a bit smaller. I can't compare schools, but crime is very low (to the point of really being a non factor) in both areas. I'd say that as far as raising kids goes (depending on your preferences, of course), you can't go wrong either way.

Others have mentioned the tax burden. It's true that your tax burden (no income or sales tax) will be less in NH, but you will sacrifice services. There's always a trade off.

Personally, the X-factor for me is the proximity to "stuff." Because of that, I'd go with Tilton. Bangor's a wonderful little city but it's always felt a little too isolated for me. If you want something a little more than the basic retail and dining you find in Bangor, you have to drive a long ways (2 hours to Portland or more). Some people prefer a little more distance between them and larger metropolitan areas. If that's the case, you'll probably like Bangor better. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,040,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonedds View Post
Hello everyone,

I have recently received 2 job offers. One in Bangor, ME and the other in Tilton, NH. I have visited both places and personally liked the NH area better. Of coarse when I say I have visited NH I mean I spent the day there. Oh and by the way the winters in either place don't scare me. I will be moving from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada so I am used to the long winters. Any input about these places would be greatly appreciated. By the way I am married with 4 kids so a good place to raise a family is important to me.

Thanks
Tilton may have a lower crime rate and New Hampshire may have less restrictive gun laws--maybe less restrictive laws overall--than Maine does.

Another thing to consider is which of the two jobs may prove more stable--i.e., which employer is less likely to lay you off or relocate in the future.

And should you then want to seek another job in the same area, what the chances might be.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,214,462 times
It depends on what you want out of life and recreation. We lived in Concord, south of Tilton, for four years and Bangor for WAY more. I prefer Maine simply because of the recreation, northwoods and seacoast. I HAVE to be near salt water. If you ski, NH is fine, but if you fish, Maine is much better. When you're at work, it doesn't matter where you live. When you're at play, Maine has a lot more to offer. Overall tax burden. Hmmm. Taxes overall would be less in NH, but the school systems are wholly unimpressive. Certain unexpected fees and expenses are higher in NH, and the property taxes and housing expense are WAY higher.

And many muncipalities in Maine charge a per-bag trash disposal fee. You buy your "stickers" from the town office. No sticker, no pickup. There was no trash charge in Concord, and I'd assume larger muncipalites just couldn't do it that way anyway, including Bangor.

It's a balance. I'd rather live outside Bangor than anywhere in NH, but I think, on whole, the cost of living overall was less in NH. As long as you can control those housing expenses.

All that said, the fishing, hunting, canoeing and a lot of other good family outdoor recreation is better in Maine. Look at a map of ME/NH. Count the lakes on both sides of the border. Plus you can't get a decent fried clam in NH.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:14 PM

37,586 posts, read 61,665,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Tilton may have a lower crime rate and New Hampshire may have less restrictive gun laws--maybe less restrictive laws overall--than Maine does.

Another thing to consider is which of the two jobs may prove more stable--i.e., which employer is less likely to lay you off or relocate in the future.

And should you then want to seek another job in the same area, what the chances might be.
It is hard to imagine being any less 'restrictive' than Maine.

Does NH issue a firearm to every citizen? That would be less restrictive, I guess.

Maine does not allow you to open carry loaded firearms into bars. Which did kind of surprise me, but I do not really see that as a massive restriction.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM

6,639 posts, read 13,599,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Maine does not allow you to open carry loaded firearms into bars. Which did kind of surprise me, but I do not really see that as a massive restriction.

No knives either. Drunks and weapons are never a good idea. When you leave the bar you will probably not be given your weapon back as you leave. You'll have to come back to get it. I don't know if that's a state law or a practice bars choose on their own. DD works as security at a night club. She wands people going in. Most don't come back to get their knives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine