Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 19,760 times

Advertisements

Thinking about purchasing property in Windham, Maine. In doing some research I found there seem to be a lot of properties for sale on River Road. Anything I should know about? Any other comments are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 10:44 AM

740 posts, read 1,884,522 times
I lived in Windham for 3 years and used to travel the River Road for work. One of my mom's good friends lives there also and it is well known for lots of traffic and bad accidents. There is also the State Prison on River road. You may also want to look into flood insurance as this could be hard to get and maybe causing people to sell. Other than that I can't think of anything that would cause people to sell. Other than that a real nice town in a great area.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 19,760 times
Can anyone expand on the flooding issue?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,230,742 times
I live in Gorham, as does another frequent poster named Elston. I'll be showing one of those properties to a client on Saturday. River Road begins at the Westbrook line (where it is known as Cumberland Street), just past the Sunset Ridge Golf Course and terminates on Route 302 in what used to be called North Windham. I don't know the exact mileage, but I would say it's at least 10 miles, partially accounting for the volume of properites for sale. As fxtrader said it is a very busy road, and properties which sold easily in the early 2000s when inventory was low are now sitting as buyers have more choice and are choosing homes in neighborhoods first. As for flooding and flood insurance, you or your agent need to check with FEMA to see if the property is in a flood zone as it is no longer a required field on the MLS system. Should the property be in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory (assuming you are financing the purchase) and is very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine