Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,341,009 times

Advertisements

Anywhere's in upper Northern Maine, can you rent sleds for the day? Maybe a lodge where they take you on the trails?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 AM

740 posts, read 1,883,513 times
There are a lot to choose from in Maine, but I believe northern outdoors in the Forks is one of the best. My wife and I stayed there a couple of years back and loved it. We had our own sleds but they have quite a few rentals. The lodge also makes their own micro brew. Maine Snowmobiling Maine Vacation Cabins Snowmobile Rentals - Northern Outdoors

Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,393,456 times
I researced this quite a bit. There are several places in Greenville, Rockwood and Jackman. Including the Forks link above by fxtrader.

You can rent a two-up sled for around $220. per day. Or a smaller single for around $175. The fast machines are even a little more than the two-up sleds. Usually comes with a helmet and some gear but you will probably need to rent some stuff. You can combine the sled rental fee with a tour and save. A room, sled rental and tour is even cheaper if you can afford it. There are short and long overnight tours too. You will need to leave a $1k deposit on your credit card. They will give lessons and a safety course before you set out.

I have been studying this business since I've been in Maine. I live right on the ITS (interconnected trail system) and have a great place to rent cabins, sleds, motorcycles, atv's and canoes. Just the wrong time for me right now but maybe a future business.

I had researched the trails to come to your place by now on my sled but haven't had any snow in weeks. I'm still hoping for some more white stuff so I can make the trip. I just recently got my passport card too for a quick trip to NB. See you soon. I'm getting hungry for some of the best food in the east coast.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,469,671 times
Default FREE friendly advice

Two words: TRAIL MAPS.

I know all rental places must include them with the sled, please be sure you know how to read them. Bring a compass if you aren't familiar with the deep woods of Maine or are directionally challenged you'll need to have a compass or better yet, a GPS. The ITS's are well marked, and easy to ride. Sometimes the trails into the little towns are a little less easy to find.

Plan your ride, let someone know where you are headed and when you plan on being back.

STOP at all intersections and READ THE SIGNS. Some will be hard to read, stop and make sure you really are going in the direction that you planned.The signs will direct you right into town for gas, restaurants, lodging and supplies. Cell phones are usually not reliable in the middle of the north woods.

Stop and use the local snowmobile clubhouses, feel free to throw a log on the fire and a donation in the jar. This helps the clubs continue to groom the trails throughout the season. Those groomers are expensive to run and those VOLUNTEERS are happy to go out twice a day to make sure your trails are neatly groomed and very comfortable.

Most of all, ENJOY the best and most unseen views of Maine!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,393,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Two words: TRAIL MAPS.

I know all rental places must include them with the sled, please be sure you know how to read them. Bring a compass if you aren't familiar with the deep woods of Maine or are directionally challenged you'll need to have a compass or better yet, a GPS. The ITS's are well marked, and easy to ride. Sometimes the trails into the little towns are a little less easy to find.

Plan your ride, let someone know where you are headed and when you plan on being back.

STOP at all intersections and READ THE SIGNS. Some will be hard to read, stop and make sure you really are going in the direction that you planned.The signs will direct you right into town for gas, restaurants, lodging and supplies. Cell phones are usually not reliable in the middle of the north woods.

Stop and use the local snowmobile clubhouses, feel free to throw a log on the fire and a donation in the jar. This helps the clubs continue to groom the trails throughout the season. Those groomers are expensive to run and those VOLUNTEERS are happy to go out twice a day to make sure your trails are neatly groomed and very comfortable.

Most of all, ENJOY the best and most unseen views of Maine!
Good stuff there.Probably could have used some of that advice last year.

I now use a gps, have at least 10 local and state maps on board and take proper food and gear with me. Along with better sense about my place and time in the world.

Last year I set out to find Katadin Iron Works by myself on my new sled on a mid January day. I left kind of late in the morning from Dover, stopped several times for gas and pictures and ended up about 50+ miles on ITS and club trails from here in the afternoon on a shared logging road about 5-10 miles from my destination. I stopped on the side of the road for a quick break when a pickup truck stopped to see if I was ok. I said I was heading north still and he asked me "Are you sure you want to do that? Do you have any safety gear?" I said, "What do I need all that for? I got me a new sled." We talked for a bit then he said in his deep woods, I think you're a crazy city slicker, Mainer voice, "Good luck and be safe. It was nice knowin' ya". I continued on with my break looking for my banana and water. Seems they were a little hard when I finally got a chance to locate them. So I continued north for a little while longer and then decided to make a 180 and head back to Dover. This guy made me think. I figured I had only been in Maine for only two months and he probably lived here forever. So 'when in Rome' came to mind.

You see, it was on a Tuesday. I hadn't passed one sled all day. It was cloudy and only 5 degrees above and dropping fast. It was already about 3:45 and getting darker by the minute. I think the guy had a point.

I did eventually get there and many other local places too as I put 1400 miles on the sled in six weeks. I had planned on more this year but some of the main trails and many club trails are just not that much fun right now. We need snow. It is a 300 million dollar industry in Maine. That is probably an average because this year doesn't look good for the local central Maine businesses, SO FAR. Fingers crossed for groomed trails with the white gold.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,912,571 times
There are alot of places that rent sleds here in the County, and they can take you out. Just google it or go to Aroostook County for more info.
(Trails are good right now).

Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,469,671 times
Default More useful info

This IMHO is actually one of the better sites.

Snowmobile Maine

Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,251,133 times
i was in greenville today and i believe a fella said a place called northwoods...rents them

Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,341,009 times
hummm... thanks.

I finially got some trail maps for our business... and there's no offer of "rentals" and trail guides. Since it's a family time.. I would enjoy being "lead" around.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM

740 posts, read 1,883,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i was in greenville today and i believe a fella said a place called northwoods...rents them
Yup! Its right in the center of town next to the gas station. I think most of these places also rent all the needed gear you will need. Like mentioned above make sure you pay attention and read the signs it is really easy to get on a side trail and not realize you aren't on an ITS trail anymore. This especially the rule when on an unfamiliar lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine