Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,121 times

Advertisements

It's not a room or a road/street but a "rum" or a "rud". You know you're in Maine when your town has no grocery store but does have a Feeds and needs store, and also the only traffic light consists of the yellow blinker at the junction of route 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,970 times
You know what cattywhomous means and can use it in a sentence (spelling it correctly is not a prerequisite of using it however)...

Your fire department dispatches firefighters "to the Tweedie Place" and everyone shows up but the out of staters...

The Black Road, Hamm Road and Valley Road are the same road with 3 different names...and used interchangeably, enhanced 911 be darned...

You have ever watched a snowmobile and motorcycle fill up at the same gas station at the same time...

Your local strip club has postings in the paper looking for dancers for "the upcomming snowmobile season"...

You refer to everything in seasons...snowmobile season, mud season, lambing season, black fly season, picnic season, all the specific hunting seasons, planting seasons, harvest seasons,etc...

You have ever got school vacation in October so you could pick spuds...

A car/truck is considered a necessity but so is a chainsaw...

You got a BMW and all your own is trucks...

You have watched your wife give birth and said, "Wow, that was easy, I have helped cows and sheep with more difficult births"...and meant it!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post

You have watched your wife give birth and said, "Wow, that was easy, I have helped cows and sheep with more difficult births"...and meant it!
Did she slap you?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Did she slap you?
If it was that easy a birth, likely not.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You have ever got school vacation in October so you could pick spuds...
They grow on trees here? Where I come from you DIG spuds...

But maybe (not having done it commercially) you have something that does the digging and you just have to walk behind and pick them up?

But I do know how to use cattywampus in a sentence. Been using it for years.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:29 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
But maybe (not having done it commercially) you have something that does the digging and you just have to walk behind and pick them up?
Right. They're dug with heavy equipment and picked by hand. I imagine it's just a matter of time before all harvesting is mechanical.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
You have watched your wife give birth and said, "Wow, that was easy, I have helped cows and sheep with more difficult births"...and meant it![/quote]

my son entered this world by c-section-
because i wanted to be there- the doctor stated she couldn't have a squeamish dad in the o.r- my quick reply was "it can't be any worse than guttin a deer"
the dr. stared at me with the ...did he really just say that .. look?!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
my son entered this world by c-section-
because i wanted to be there- the doctor stated she couldn't have a squeamish dad in the o.r- my quick reply was "it can't be any worse than guttin a deer"
the dr. stared at me with the ...did he really just say that .. look?![/quote]

LOL no, it can't. Is like when my home schooled daughters wanted to watch their kitties getting spayed. Our vet was cooperative, even let the oldest assist (with my assistance, I had worked as a vet tech long ago for a bit). When she asked Katie what she thought after it was all done, K's comment was "there sure wasn't much blood, not like when we "do" goats or chickens". Vet said, "No, we do out best to keep the blood IN the kitties..." Same thing here, methinks...

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:

You have ever got school vacation in October so you could pick spuds.
I can remember my grandparents talking about this when I was a kid.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
...if at bedtime your dad says, it's time to hit the hay

...when pretty quick means soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine