Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:01 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,503,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
Just the opposite opinion for me. I have several family members and know a lot of people that work for this company on the track crew. My grandfather and father also worked there. Well when it used to be Bangor and Aroostook.
I agree with you here. I think there are two industries that we as a country should have invested in infrastructure-wise: railroad and nuclear power.

As for farming, its a sad state when the family farms are lost. However, that is the nature of the free market, and efficiency pays. For agriculture, it has become all about economies of scale. The only exception to this in farming is the niche markets....dealing in local markets, organic, kosher, halal, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:19 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,390 times
I would disagree with you broadbill, it is not efficiency when the government offers subsidies, and tax breaks to some, but not to all. It will eventually turn the US into a 3rd world country. When all our farming, and industry moves to another country, the only jobs left here will be low paying, service industries that cannot be turfed overseas. We cannot compete with a country where the average income is $5000 a year. We need to wake up, and start protecting our own economy. We are selling the future of our children to save a nickel. Isolationism dragged us into two world wars, but in the end we have had 70 years of almost continuous growth.

I do agree with you about nuclear power and railroads. I saw a commercial the other day where the railroad can haul 400 tons for $1.33 a mile, yet year after year, the miles of usable track become smaller and smaller. The same comment that started this thread applies to railroads, once you abandon the track, you never get it back.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,390 times
Broken Tap, I reread your post, and I can sense how saddened you are. Maybe you are wondering who might be the next person you know to go under. I remember the milk trucks that once ran the dirt roads in the farmland of Tennessee where I grew up. I remember the metal milk cans that were kept in springs before refrigeration was wide spread. Those days were over in Tennessee in the 1950's.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,559,151 times
I remember Pleasant Hill Dairy arriving early in the morning to leave fresh milk in the insulated silver box on the back steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: