Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM

74 posts, read 248,979 times

Advertisements

I appauled OutDoorNut, kevin5098 and flycessna for seeing the insideous attempt at gun control by some in this great nation.... I am a resident of PA with a CCW and a non-resident permit for ME and NH. I applied for such permits because I could... and I figured if the numbers showed people were applying for them, it would send a message to the legislators. Law abiding citizens are just that.... without that right... we're subjects!

The Rendell Mafia here in PA have made several bold attempts at Republic of Kalifornia style gun control, but they have all thus failed! PA is surrounded by NY, NJ and MD all having some of the most strict gun control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Keep the faith Paav8tor. I like to think about handles. Some here were amazed when I pointed out what elcarim was when spelled backwards. I figure you are an aviator from PA. I have a commercial license myself.

Tomorrow is the big day. Senators Dennis Damon and Stanley Gerzofsky would rather a lady hiker be found raped and dead on the trail with her panty hose knotted around her neck than let that lady carry her hand gun in a shoulder holster. The vote is tomorrow in the legislature on whether to let that lady live or not. That's what it comes down to.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,612 times
Is there any more gun control in CA than in Maine? I just ran 100 or so rounds through a 9mm at my son's house in N.Cal over Christmas, and there seems to be a lot of hunting going on out there. I think you could almost catch and knife one of those blacktails, though.

And NMLM, you're a little overboard with such ridiculous accusations. Balance, but hey, I guess I've got nothing left to say if that's the measure of commons sense. I guess all the flatlanders can bring their guns up and have a big shootout at ANP. No wonder people are inclined to post their land. I haven't done it yet, but that kind of rationale . . . well.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Is there any more gun control in CA than in Maine? I just ran 100 or so rounds through a 9mm at my son's house in N.Cal over Christmas, and there seems to be a lot of hunting going on out there. I think you could almost catch and knife one of those blacktails, though.

And NMLM, you're a little overboard with such ridiculous accusations. Balance, but hey, I guess I've got nothing left to say if that's the measure of commons sense. I guess all the flatlanders can bring their guns up and have a big shootout at ANP. No wonder people are inclined to post their land. I haven't done it yet, but that kind of rationale . . . well.
Umm, just read the laws (might take you a day or two to sort it out, even the prosecutors out there don't fully understand the complex gun laws)...CA bans many, many guns that are perfectly legal in ME. A standard Yugo SKS (legal in ME and most other states) is illegal in CA. A magazine holding more than IIRC 10 rounds is illegal in CA. If a handgun isn't on an "approved" list in CA it can't be sold, and it costs lots of money to do it. So, the same model gun in a different finish than one on the list is illegal...

It's next to impossible to legally carry a loaded handgun in CA for protection. It's a "may issue" state with permits issued by county, which in practice means all but some of the most rural counties, do not issue at all, unless you're rich and well connected.

The issue in CA is the big cities run the state and they're as anti-gun as you can get...incorporation of the Second Amendment may fix this though, and if the SCOTUS does it as is expected even by the antis, it will likely be used to throw out any law ME passes on NP's too.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,642 times
I find it discouraging whenever this debate comes up reference gun control that those on the other side of the issue, for a lack of any real logical debate including factual incidents or statistics, fall back on crazy ideas and claims. Calling people twits and telling us that this is not "much of an infringement on the 2nd amendment" is just plain ludicrous

Basically saying that allowing CCW in state parks is somehow going to end up in droves of flatlander twits with a “self protected” mindset and no experience coming here to shoot each other is crazy!

I don’t need a list of what I am FREE not to do, like not to visit a state park, or not to attend a baseball game, or not to protect myself or my family or someone else from harm.

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known, and he carries his banners openly. But the traitor moves among those within the gates freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very hall of government itself. For the traitor appears no traitor. He speaks in the accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their garments, and he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in hearts of men. He rots the soul of a nation. He works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of a city. He infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A Murderer Is Less To Be Feared." Cicero, 42 B.C.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
I tend to be as specific as possible. As an engineer and pilot I was trained to ask, "Then what?" It's all about cause and effect. As to that "twit" who invaded my campsite, he was indeed a twit and an arrogant one at that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twit

I would hope that nobody ever needs to fire a round at Acadia. However, that necessity should be the decision of the citizen, not Senator Damon.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,204,612 times
Not on the other side of the issue whatsoever. Never have been. Just never felt the need to carry in ACADIA NATIONAL PARK walking the grandaughter in a stroller. And not REAL excited about being around people paranoid enough to carry guns everywhere they go. And don't like the idea of being FORCED to get a CCP to protect myself and my family from such people. Self protection is one thing. The thought process of someone thinking they're protecting the "public" by carrying is intellectually weak. I don't need that kind of help.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 PM

428 posts, read 554,660 times
There are plenty of nuts and twits around but there are also plenty of reasonable people who feel the need to carry for legitimate reasons. I don't belong to either of these groups, but some citizens who carry will argue that carrying has got to become a habit practiced whenever possible. One of the forums I follow has plenty of stories about people who decided to leave their CCW at home at a time when they could have used it.
But to me the real issue is that one should not have to justify a right. There should be no need to explain to anyone why there is a need to carry. I believe those who carry legally ARE protecting the public although not necessarily for the obvious reason. They protect us by excercising a right that some would take away because they don't feel enough people "need" that right.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Not on the other side of the issue whatsoever. Never have been. Just never felt the need to carry in ACADIA NATIONAL PARK walking the grandaughter in a stroller. And not REAL excited about being around people paranoid enough to carry guns everywhere they go. And don't like the idea of being FORCED to get a CCP to protect myself and my family from such people. Self protection is one thing. The thought process of someone thinking they're protecting the "public" by carrying is intellectually weak. I don't need that kind of help.
So what is the difference with a acadia national park or downtown Portland or anywhere else in Maine for that matter.

let me tell you something about carrying a concealed handgun. You do not carry a weapon with the presumption that you are going to find trouble. If that was the case I would carry a shotgun. Which is mostly why I rarley if ever excercise my right.

But I do not feel any more secure walking in acadia national park compared with the oldport.

And this is not about whether or not YOU feel the need to carry or whether or not I do. This is about our rights and the fact that you do feel the need to infringe on them with a completly baseless argument.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:13 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
Carry a can of Wasp Spray. It will spray 20-30 feet and temporarily blind an aggressor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine