Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 AM

523 posts, read 1,679,800 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that link, NMLM!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM

37,445 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Why? Is there some special need to conform to what everyone else is doing, to look the same as they do?

If *I* were going to build a house, that *I* was going to be living in, I'd build what *I* wanted and not give a flying fig about what everyone else's house looked like.

But then, I'm a rabid non-conformist anyway. Which is why I live where I do. I do what I want and no one tells me I can't.
Rabid?

You?

Hmm, could be.

I built our house. I doubt if there is another like it in this county. I consider myself to be 'unique'

btw if anyone is thinking about building a house and wants to save money, I do recommend building it yourself. The process can be a lot of fun.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,581 times
I think carpenter/labor costs depends on the life style of the contractor. This subject always reminds me of my friend who recently needed a new roof. High bid was $7200 and low bid was $4200, same materials. We knew the high bid guy because his wife worked with us. They would take yearly vacations to Colorado and Arizona, owned a cottage in Northern Wis, new vehicles, etc. The old saying....."you get what you pay for"....I don't "buy" it.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Why? Is there some special need to conform to what everyone else is doing, to look the same as they do?

If *I* were going to build a house, that *I* was going to be living in, I'd build what *I* wanted and not give a flying fig about what everyone else's house looked like.

But then, I'm a rabid non-conformist anyway. Which is why I live where I do. I do what I want and no one tells me I can't.
Right on. When I built my house a few years back in what was then a agricultural zoned area, now residential I built it in the middle of my 3 acre lot. All the other houses around here are 1/2 acre lots and are about 40 feet from roadway. I wanted a big front yard. Building was approved by then building inspector. A couple years ago, sewer/water came through and during discussions with subsequent inspector, he tells me my house is NON-CONFORMING because of location on lot and if it were ever destroyed by fire, storms, etc. I probably could not rebuild on same foundation in that spot. Needless to say, I was shocked. I told him everything was approved back when I built it. His reply "well, mistakes were made". Now in 2010 we have new inspector; I mentioned this to him and he says the old guy was wrong, my house location is fine. So anyway, all you non-conformists, beware. There may be pitfalls out there.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM

37,445 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Default There is a very wide spectrum in both price and speed of building

When I was trying to get a foundation contractor to pour our foundation; I was met with a very wide array to prices and procedures. $10k to $30k was the bandwidth of the prices.

At the time I was not able to really get much of a clue as to which of them was 'better' then the others.

Communication was very difficult with them. The site-work/concrete contractor was easier to talk with but he refused to give me any help in picking from among the foundation contractors.

One had an office with a receptionist. The others work from their homes.

Visiting that office I saw that they were operating eight crews. and I got the feel that they pour foundations fast. As it turned out their bid came in the cheapest. So I choose them.

After which my site-work/concrete guy finally felt that it was okay to tell me about each of their reputations [after I had made my own decision without his coaching].

That foundation was pouring up to four foundations per day. The concrete guy told me that he had even modified his concrete plant to heat the mix to 200 degrees, so that foundations could be poured all through the winter, just to supply this one foundation contractor. Apparently he pours more foundations in the entire county then any other contractor. I was told that in January he slows down to pouring only one foundation each day.

One day the site-work crew opened a hole. The second day a foundation crew setup the forms and built the rebar framework. The third day a foundation crew poured the concrete. The fourth day the forms were removed. The fifth day the the site-work crew was back, we laid a french-drain around the exterior and filled it all in.

The foundation contractor had men here for only three days. They were fast.

Some of the other foundation contractors would have taken as long as 2 months to do our foundation.

It seems that there does exist an economy-of-scale in building. One guy can do it all, but it takes much longer and you pay for his lack of proper equipment.

Bigger contractors may have a half-dozen crews and some exotic equipment. But it works out to be faster and cheaper.

There was a concrete-pumper truck here with a 120' boom. He had no need to park up next to the site. Concrete trucks did not have to carefully weave their way into the site, they were able to back straight in, dump and leave.

I have since had the chance of watching one of the foundation contractors that had bid on my house. The cement truck could not get close to the site, so it sat in one spot for a long time as they were using wheelbarrows to move concrete into the forms. Now wonder why he takes a long time to finish.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Situations differ and in a lot of cases time and site location would be a factor. But me being a cheap, oops, I mean frugal guy, I'll sacrifice time to save a buck (if time will do that; in some cases, not always)

Back in the fall of 2008 when I started building my 30x48 detached garage I hired an "old school" mason to do my floor/foundation. (he does a lot of barn stone foundation restorations) He works alone, no crew. He's got 35 years experience. He operates out of a Chevy S10. He hauled 20' rebar on that little truck. He was fast and efficient in his work and price was very reasonable. Heard a story that when a rookie cement truck driver would pull up to a site to pour, driver would ask him where his crew was and he would say, "I'm the crew". Like I say, he was fast and good, and 2 years later, my floor hasn't cracked anywhere. In my case, smaller was better. In this economy I would think the bigger guys with the large crews, lots of equipment, overhead, etc., are hurting, because of less work. Wausau Homes, a modular builder, just down the road, used to have 200 to 300 employee cars in their parking lot. Now 15 or 20.
The friend I spoke about in the previous roof post; he had a garage built by a contractor who talked my friend out of a lot of little extras he wanted in the garage, such as heat in the floor and a 6" high edge curb on his floor. Later, we figured. because it was late fall, contractor had a few more garages to get done before winter set in and those extras take time. Of course my friend could have demanded, but being the passive fellow he is, didn't.
BTW, on my garage, I'm doing (not done yet) the rest of it myself. Actually, just have about 40% of siding yet to put up, electrical, and interior (insulating and maybe/most likely drywall). Most enjoyable and rewarding feat. If I'm unsure of a certain build procedure, I ask somebody, look in a book, or research internet.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
These prices are for multiple baths, triple paned bay windows, granite counters and marble floors. If you want a classic home for about a third of these costs or less, take a look at these folks.
Quote:

Distinctive Timber Building Kits Inc.

(I do not represent these people and am not a builder. I am just familiar with their products.)
I have looked over these modular companies and found out that their homes are often easily customizeable (if you know what you're doing and stay within reason) and allow all sorts of options for exterior architecture for example, such that, there is a big difference between "manufactured" homes and "modular" homes. In addition, there are a multitude of styles and floor plans among the various companies. I am seriously considering this route. BTW accessible property is important if you want to consider this....they have to get the stuff there without knocking over stuff or damaging the modules. Cost is about $70 - 100 per sq ft for a 1500 - 2000 sq ft house (does not include the foundation etc).

I do not represent these people nor am I a builder, either.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
As long as you dont live in the Portland area, near Sebago lake or in the coast, you should be able to do $80- $100/ft. Don't listen to these people. If you are not in a high priced area, you don't HAVE to nor should you be paying those prices. Call LOCAL contractors and stay away from these crazy flatlanders. They quote high prices trying to drive the "norm" up everywhere, but that isn't how it works. Get a deal from a local lumber supplier. Don't allow the contractor to buy the supplies. If YOU provide the materials, you are gonna cut the costs WAY down. It's like cutting out the middle man. Pay for each thing seperate instead of as a package deal and you will save tons. Make a lot of phone calls and force them to compete for your business. Try to get preferred contractors to price match.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
The domain name of Cedar Buildings has changed. It is now;

Distinctive Timber Building Kits

Same company. Same prices. Same good service.

I still don't represent them, but the customers are still happy.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:20 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,690 times
Quote:
The domain name of Cedar Buildings has changed. It is now;

Distinctive Timber Building Kits

Same company. Same prices. Same good service.

I still don't represent them, but the customers are still happy.
Unfortunately it is the same company. Nothing wrong with that except it's illegal for a Canadian company to manufacter products here in the States and have Canadians involved in their sales or construction. If you read the website it states the kits are "factory direct". Parker Brothers in Bradford saw the lumber. The guy who owns the company is from Fredericton, NB. He had no problem manufacturing in New Brunswick and importing into the States. He can also own a company in the States and sell products here. He cannot buy product here and sell it as a kit and then consult on its construction. Pretty sure his days are numbered for running his company as he is now. Let's just say he's on the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine