Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:31 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
ccosborne3,
I'm predicting I never see a 34 ft by 34 ft log cabin built with 24 inch logs up near Loring. It would take 24 inch logs to prevent the walls from kicking out if you were to go 34 ft wide. Typical construction log cabin construction ties in the side walls at least every 8 ft. Those tie-ins would be huge! Of course 24 in logs notched properly in the corners would be such a mega-structure the tie-ins would not be so necessary. With all that said, and you asked for advice...if it's a log cabin look you are after, get yourself some log siding and stick build. Number one, a 34 ft pine 24 inches on the top would be well in excess of $1000 each. (probably in excess of $2000 each) That's a big stick of wood! I've never seen a log cabin built with logs over 12 inches in this neck of the woods. Log siding will look like the real thing. Katahdin Forest Products in Oakfield sell it. Parker Brothers Lumber in Bradford sell it. Haven't priced it lately, but I'm pretty confident it will be under $1000/per thousand board ft. Two thousand bd ft would do what you want...just don't try to go 34 ft wide. With the log siding you can frame up a 2x6 wall and use regular insulation. Put foam over the sheathing to add insulation value. Have space for electrical as well in the wall. It's a misconception to believe a log cabin made of logs is cheaper than stick built. You can frame up a 38x28 ft building for $2500 dollars. (Check Crabbe Lumber in Bristol, NB for prices if you are a dis-believer) Add in a couple grand for log siding and the look is there, but much more efficient and much cheaper...if you are thinking you are going to save money by building a real log cabin, you will find out you are sadly mistaken. I built a ward log cabin out of milled cedar logs years ago. The roof purlins were probably 8 inches on the top...and they were 24 ft long. I was able to winch them up into place, but not easily. No way you are going to do anything without a crane with the sticks of wood you are talking about!
You'd have no problem with 34 ft long wall logs coming out. But it would be more practical to use shorter logs. Easier to move around, handle, etc. I'd also frame in the door and window openings (with 2x6's or 8's, lag screws from them into each log that's placed) as the walls are built allowing shorter logs to be used for much of the wall. If worried some rebar could be used (bottom to the top, one piece for each spot) every little bit, say 8 to 10 feet.

If the OP is looking to be a bit more independent I don't think log siding is the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 228 times
[quote=Submariner;12655553

I do not know specifically about the Loring clean-up site. The pipeline that used to feed the base their fuel crosses my land. Just a short distance South of us [down stream] is one of the old pumping stations, a 'super-fund' clean-up site. My understanding is that these sites will never be 'clean'. The contamination is being mitigated and treated, but the petro and degreasers will always be there to some level.

Where exactly is this pumping station? Im curious as to what it would look like

Old 01-17-2021, 10:03 PM

37,473 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityenthusiast12 View Post
... ... Where exactly is this pumping station? Im curious as to what it would look like
On rt116 [Southgate road], in Argyle, about 5 miles North from the intersection with rt16 [Bennoch road], and 2 miles South of the crossroad intersection [the road that crosses between Alton and Argyle. In Argyle it is called the Alton road because it goes to Alton, in Alton it is called the Argyle road because it goes to Argyle].

The pumps are gone, the building is gone. 4 or 5 years ago, they did a big remediation project on the site.

They brought out a huge steel portable tank. They dug down 20 foot and all the dirt had to go into the tank, to soak in water and detergent. After it had soaked for 4 days then that dirt came out and fresh dirt was put in the tank. The funny thing is since this is in Argyle, everywhere they dug more than a foot down the hole filled with surface water. But they did the work in sections and by the time they were done, all the dirt within a 50 yard radius had been dug up, soaked in detergent water for a few days and was then put back in place.

The pumping station is directly across the road from the 1900s Argyle grammar school building [currently used as a pig & horse barn].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine