Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 PM

23 posts, read 41,681 times

Advertisements

hi all...and thanks again for the info. i know that nmlm is a realtor and i can see that he has alot of great info and seems to be such a great guy too. i really need a good realtor to help and guide me in thes purchase. i plan to live out the rest of my life in the town i choose as i said previously, so it it so important to get the right fit. and i am looking for a small town with small towns next to it like the ones you mentioned maineguy8888. and at least we can see who the sex offenders are with the new program. but i must say that the towns with zero offenders are getting thought of alot.... i have seen property in most of the towns you all have mentioned and i will continue to keep looking at all of maine...... well............i still seem to like north way up there maine. we will take a trip up there when we can get a better grip on all the choices.... and i agree, there are homes for 50,000 that are fine older homes built in the 40's or earlier. i think older homes are built better than the new ones. i believe that in that era work ethics and importance on fine building not custting costs, was at the forefront of the workers doing the building. i have so much respect and admiration for the early 1900's. my grandmother was born in 1899 and was a proud women with 7 children. her husband, my grandfather, was a butcher and she was a seamstress. they were honest, hard working, and family oriented. we were raised to care about people and to do for others. we are not superficial. material items are of little importance. i don't resent people that live for glitz, fancy cars, have thier children in boarding schools, and wouldn't EVER be caught in a target or a walmart. more power to them. i hope they have happiness in their life and a content heart. i just don't happen to need all of that stuff or any of what comes with it. to me....if it doesn't have a heart beat, it's not important.and as my grammy always told me"always remember cee cee, due unto others as you would have them due unto you." and " don't ever think that you are too old or to learn something every day". i believe we will fit in with the people of maine. i hope they will accept us. and i certainly am not one of those that wants to move to maine and try to change it. NOPE....NADA....NEVER. i intend to embrace maine and enjoy it, certainly not change it.
okay... i'm ranting now so i will stop and shut up for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 PM

okay. yes he did say lincoln, but i read quite a few things about mill smell in a few cities. and can someone tell what you mean when you say a down is depressedd. i don't mean to sound ignorant, but i have never heard that saying before.
thanks for not judging the slow minded.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM

37,501 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Maine has few thriving industries. Maine is depressed.

There are very few high paying jobs. People get by on minimum-wage jobs.

Maine is not economically prospering, we are not 'progressive'. Maine is not trying to bring in new industries.

A lot of Maine people are low income, which is reflected by home prices [except in the tourist areas].

Maine's depression is not linked to the nation's current recession. The nation today is heading toward the economy which has been the norm in Maine for decades.

Lincoln has a mill. Mills cause a smell. If you live in town, you may smell it. If you live a couple miles away, then you might only get a whiff a couple times a year [depending on the wind pattern].

Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,918,554 times
They tell me that Lincoln doesn't smell as bad as it used to. It used to be unbearable.
If you like rolling hills with lots of farms and forests, then the County (Aroostook) is for you. Lots of nice small towns and cities. It's really beautiful.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 AM

thank you maineguy8888. this is all the info i need so badly. and aroostook county is where i seem to be drawn. although the town of brownville has a home i am very interested in. i am going to talk to the realtor today after 1 pm about it.
any thoughts.
thank you so much. i pegged your last reply as helpful. i am hoping that nmlm will reply and give me some more advise today as well as a few others.
thank you again.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 AM

maineguy8888...i used the wrong wording in my last message...i rated your post as positive. thank you.... ( i am still getting used to how this forum works)

Old 01-14-2010, 01:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
I live near Lincoln. The only time I ever notice an odor is right in the direct vicinity of the plant and, no, it's nowhere near as bad as I would have thought. We lived in Milford for years, the Old Town plant was much worse. Lincoln is a nice town, you can get most things you need there though, an occasional trip to Bangor works well for things you might want that aren't available (or shop online). I do wish we had a larger WalMart, I think the area can support it although one of my favorite stores (Steaks-n-Stuff) is expanding! NMLM found our home for us. He was a terrific help in more ways than I can tell you.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:03 PM

any thoughts on brownville - milo... any one...
i have requested a few of you that have replyed to be on a friend list. i hope that is okay. i have'nt heard from NMLM today in here. i will probably contact him also for listings in the aroostook county.

hoping you are all having a great day. thanks again. keep the info and suggestions (pro and con) coming.
cmacyman

Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,662,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I tried to sell my property in Western PA without a broker. Most people wouldn't touch me with a 10 foot pole because they figured I'd screw them in some way without a broker present. The others expected that without a broker's 6% involved it meant that I would sell it for a discount of about 50% less than the asking price. I would still have had to pay my attorney to structure the circumstance.

Unfortunately, even though I tried to do it myself as a seller(finally gave up and got a broker), I harbor exactly the same attitudes as the people who were interested in purchasing from me. Go figure!
We were specifically looking for something owner financed and most of the brokers wouldn't touch us with a similar pole! LOL (to be more accurate, few such properties were ending up in the hands of brokers at that point in time.)

Old 01-15-2010, 02:47 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,918,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacyman View Post
any thoughts on brownville - milo... any one...
i have requested a few of you that have replyed to be on a friend list. i hope that is okay. i have'nt heard from NMLM today in here. i will probably contact him also for listings in the aroostook county.

hoping you are all having a great day. thanks again. keep the info and suggestions (pro and con) coming.
cmacyman
My dad's ancestors were from Milo. I like that area, but it is really on hard times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine