Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,326,837 times

Advertisements

Home depot is now selling full daylight 6000 degree high noon flourescent bulbs. They are way way better than the 3200 degree soft white bulb that my computer has to correct for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 AM

98 posts, read 198,053 times
I would GLADLY move anywhere in Maine, as long as there is enough acreage to suffice the space needed for my ever growing Shire herd, and of course, my dairy goats. I cannot take Pennsylvania any longer! I want to be able to enjoy life, not have to worry about offending the nosy people that seem to watch and gripe about anything and everything! I have heard different people at different times, at a prior job taking great pleasure in reporting their neighbors for grass growing too high, for having a car under a tarp in the backyard, and for other things. Really tiresome! Last year I was feeding good quality round bales of hay to my horses. The authorities came to pay call on me, as the horses were eating off of the ground! Uh, DUH!!! Horses have eaten off the ground for eons! Of course, the authorities apologized and found no problems here. But, in order to appease the noses of this side of the world, I started recently feeding square bales in a hay bunk. Another nose stopped the other day and remarked she noticed my horses didn't have any round bales to eat, am I have a tough time in my finances?!?! I am at wits end! So sick of people and their nebbiness here. It is not like this in Texas, as I lived there for 18 years, prior. I have spoken with a few realtors, other farm folk in Maine, and seems that peoples noses don't stick out like they do here! I have always been the type of person to help others only when help is asked for, to lend a helping hand when it is needed. Live and let live. I don't hassle people or meddle. I just want some peace and solitude, yet still would be happy to know my fellow neighbors and watch out for them, and they the same for me. Also civilization seems to be encroaching at an alarming rate, here. I had some hunters the other day that never asked permission to be on my place, so I ordered them off. They were so ticked off that they took the back fence down and let my mares loose! Of course nosy do-gooders can't see something like that! They only want to see stuff that makes them feel important and oh so big! Yes, I am counting down the days here until I can feel the Maine woods and tranquility surround me and my critters! I LOVE the cold and snow and do realize the costs of feeding my herds. I have been watching prices of things in Maine vs Pennsylvania, and still feel comfortable in my decision to my move to Maine in the very near future. Sorry to rant and rave, but for me why ANYWHERE in MAINE??? The choice is VERY obvious!

Old 12-13-2009, 04:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,587,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshire View Post
I would GLADLY move anywhere in Maine, as long as there is enough acreage to suffice the space needed for my ever growing Shire herd, and of course, my dairy goats. I cannot take Pennsylvania any longer! I want to be able to enjoy life, not have to worry about offending the nosy people that seem to watch and gripe about anything and everything! I have heard different people at different times, at a prior job taking great pleasure in reporting their neighbors for grass growing too high, for having a car under a tarp in the backyard, and for other things. Really tiresome! Last year I was feeding good quality round bales of hay to my horses. The authorities came to pay call on me, as the horses were eating off of the ground! Uh, DUH!!! Horses have eaten off the ground for eons! Of course, the authorities apologized and found no problems here. But, in order to appease the noses of this side of the world, I started recently feeding square bales in a hay bunk. Another nose stopped the other day and remarked she noticed my horses didn't have any round bales to eat, am I have a tough time in my finances?!?! I am at wits end! So sick of people and their nebbiness here.
I had a fella from the State stop at my farm one day, telling me I had to shear my sheep...as he was pointing at my Hungarian Rope Dog! A quick call to Disgusta took care of that one.

Don't bogart that medicine my friend, pass it over to meeeee...

Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM

37,510 posts, read 61,545,240 times
Quote:
I would GLADLY move anywhere in Maine, as long as there is enough acreage to suffice the space needed for my ever growing Shire herd, and of course, my dairy goats. I cannot take Pennsylvania any longer! I want to be able to enjoy life, not have to worry about offending the nosy people that seem to watch and gripe about anything and everything! I have heard different people at different times, at a prior job taking great pleasure in reporting their neighbors for grass growing too high, for having a car under a tarp in the backyard, and for other things. Really tiresome! Last year I was feeding good quality round bales of hay to my horses. The authorities came to pay call on me, as the horses were eating off of the ground! Uh, DUH!!! Horses have eaten off the ground for eons! Of course, the authorities apologized and found no problems here. But, in order to appease the noses of this side of the world, I started recently feeding square bales in a hay bunk. Another nose stopped the other day and remarked she noticed my horses didn't have any round bales to eat, am I have a tough time in my finances?!?! I am at wits end! So sick of people and their nebbiness here. It is not like this in Texas, as I lived there for 18 years, prior. I have spoken with a few realtors, other farm folk in Maine, and seems that peoples noses don't stick out like they do here! I have always been the type of person to help others only when help is asked for, to lend a helping hand when it is needed. Live and let live. I don't hassle people or meddle. I just want some peace and solitude, yet still would be happy to know my fellow neighbors and watch out for them, and they the same for me. Also civilization seems to be encroaching at an alarming rate, here. I had some hunters the other day that never asked permission to be on my place, so I ordered them off. They were so ticked off that they took the back fence down and let my mares loose! Of course nosy do-gooders can't see something like that! They only want to see stuff that makes them feel important and oh so big! Yes, I am counting down the days here until I can feel the Maine woods and tranquility surround me and my critters! I LOVE the cold and snow and do realize the costs of feeding my herds. I have been watching prices of things in Maine vs Pennsylvania, and still feel comfortable in my decision to my move to Maine in the very near future. Sorry to rant and rave, but for me why ANYWHERE in MAINE??? The choice is VERY obvious!
I agree.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,559,748 times
Blueshire - you might want to check out some of the country towns here in Maine - in my area I was impressed with Union, Unity and Freedom. Interesting names huh? Do some research and I'm sure you will find a town that suits you.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,706,405 times
My friends own a Shire farm in Hebron called Troika Drafts. You can google that name and send them an email if you like. I'm sure they would let you know about the perks and pitfalls of raising Shires in Maine.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,181,981 times
Quote:
Last year I was feeding good quality round bales of hay to my horses. The authorities came to pay call on me, as the horses were eating off of the ground! Uh, DUH!!! Horses have eaten off the ground for eons! Of course, the authorities apologized and found no problems here. But, in order to appease the noses of this side of the world, I started recently feeding square bales in a hay bunk. Another nose stopped the other day and remarked she noticed my horses didn't have any round bales to eat, am I have a tough time in my finances?!?! I am at wits end! So sick of people and their nebbiness here.
Well my goodness, you do need to move here. We really do tend to mind our own business (IMO) IF - and this is a big one - you mind yours as well and be nice to those around you.

You may have noticed I made bolder a particular sentence - here's why:

When we do things to appease others, they then get away with their 8 year-old "tattletale" side IMHO, and that just makes me want to beat them up in the playground. No, seriously, people like that need to have someone to stand up to them in order to make an example of them IMHO. Otherwise, they get away with it and it only gets worse.

That said, although we tend to be much more "live and let live" up here, I recently saw some of that foolish childishness here too, when a petition to have what was termed a "junkyard" removed was circulated. What this place is is a metal fabrication business, and yes, they do have some of bits of business clearly visable from the main road - it's a business - and to add insult to injury, it was there lonnnnnggg before the subdivision was even thought of.

Now, this would not concern me so much if it was in the actual "premier subdivision" proper; however, it's not - it's simply up the street around 350 yards and on the opposite side of the road. Alas, it is an "embarrassment" to those who are privileged to have purchased McMansions in said subdivision, and they apparently don't want their visitors to see such a horrid mess, as surely it "reflects" on them.

Meanwhile, back at one ranch, a subdivision house owner refused to sign the petition citing the fact that A. He (the business owner) was there first and B. He's just trying to make a living. Naturally, said neighbor is the black sheep of the family.

So you see, I believe that human nature reflects its ugly head everywhere, but I am glad to say that I think it's a little less so here.

Good luck.

Last edited by cebdark; 12-14-2009 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: forgot to finish sentence/spelling - doh!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 AM

98 posts, read 198,053 times
Yes,I thank you all for your input. As soon as I can sell this Albatross, aka, my house and acreage here, I am there! I have been in contact with several realtors through the Lincoln area, as I feel that would be a good location. And too, Reloop, I understand what you are saying there... I have a friend here that has a turkey farm that has been in that area for 3 generations. Since 1911. City slicker crybabies that have moved in by him are constantly whining and crying to get his operation shut down! Really raises my hackles! They should move back to the city where they belong! Again I thank you my future neighbors and friends!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,181,981 times
Quote:
Yes,I thank you all for your input. As soon as I can sell this Albatross, aka, my house and acreage here, I am there! I have been in contact with several realtors through the Lincoln area, as I feel that would be a good location. And too, Reloop, I understand what you are saying there... I have a friend here that has a turkey farm that has been in that area for 3 generations. Since 1911. City slicker crybabies that have moved in by him are constantly whining and crying to get his operation shut down! Really raises my hackles! They should move back to the city where they belong! Again I thank you my future neighbors and friends!
Heh, heh...kinda reminds me of those who build houses at the end of a runway and then complain about the airport noise.

Lincoln is a good area and places outside of Bangor like Corinth are also farm-friendly as well.

The Unity area is a good suggestion too. It's not far from the Waterville
area.

"Welcome"

Old 12-16-2009, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,546 times
I would love to move to Maine. I currently live in south Louisiana where there are only two temperatures-hot and humid or cold and rainy-with a little mix up of the two. I need to see four seasons and can't wait until I graduate and make it up to Maine. Hopefully by 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine