Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:13 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times

Advertisements

I know. I know. I could have google searched, but I really don't have time. I'm typing this in the middle of French II because it's so boring. And I've already been to France.

So Maine is where Portland is correct? I don't know why but I always thought Portland and it's state was on the west coast? I always thought Portland belonged to Oregon or something. That's where I'm confused. Isn't Maine the farthest state on the east coast that goes out to the Atlantic? It's that very last state you see on the tip of the U.S. like the Northeast side or something? So I guess I'm just finding out or maybe I'm confused??

Old 10-28-2009, 06:19 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's that very last state you see on the tip of the U.S. like the Northeast side or something? So I guess I'm just finding out or maybe I'm confused??
Thats it.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I know. I know. I could have google searched, but I really don't have time. I'm typing this in the middle of French II because it's so boring. And I've already been to France.

So Maine is where Portland is correct? I don't know why but I always thought Portland and it's state was on the west coast? I always thought Portland belonged to Oregon or something. That's where I'm confused. Isn't Maine the farthest state on the east coast that goes out to the Atlantic? It's that very last state you see on the tip of the U.S. like the Northeast side or something? So I guess I'm just finding out or maybe I'm confused??
Your confusion comes because there are two major cities in the USA name Portland. There is one in the state of Oregon, on the west coast. It is an inland city and a very interesting place. I have lived there.

There is also Portland, Maine, which is on the east coast, where Maine is the farthest east and farthest north of the contiguous US states. I use the word contiguous because both Alaska and Hawaii are states but are NOT directly attached to the rest of the US. Alaska is farther north than Maine, but on the western side of the country.

There are many states with have towns with the same name, but I believe the Portlands are the largest cities and the most notable. There is also confusion sometimes between the state of Washington (on the west coast, just north of Oregon) and the capital of the US, which is also Washington, in the District of Columbia. The District is abbreviated D.C. and it is on the eastern side of the country, not quite on the coast, about half way along, between Maryland and Virginia.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
FWIW.. Portland, OR was named after Portland, ME.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM

12,877 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Portland, Oregon is a large city on the West Coast. It's one of the 25 largest metro areas in the country. Portland, Maine is a small city in the Northeast. When you hear, "Portland" (except if you're in Maine where they'll likely be referencing THEIR Portland) used without a state name, it's generally a reference to Portland, Oregon which is MUCH larger.

The same name debate is similar among cities named "Springfield" too as there are many of them. The largest Springfield is in Massachusetts (150,000 people) but Springfield, Illinois and Springfield, Missouri are similar in size.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
There are also towns/cities named Portland in AR, CO, CT, IN, IA, KY, MI, MO, NY, ND, OH, PA, TN, TX, and 2 (!) in WI.

So I guess Portland "and it's state" are all over the U.S.!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
There are also towns/cities named Portland in AR, CO, CT, IN, IA, KY, MI, MO, NY, ND, OH, PA, TN, TX, and 2 (!) in WI.

So I guess Portland "and it's state" are all over the U.S.!
Wow! that is amazing... and considering that I have lived in, or spent considerable time in CO, IA, MI, TX and WI and do not recall seeing any of them, I suspect that they are all smaller than their more obvious and notable cousins. Now, you got me curious and I will have to find where they all are!

And, in my opinion, when a question is asked the best response is answer it... and (especially if the questioner is a youngster) to do so in a way that encourages their interest and curiosity. Derogating anyone's lack of knowledge is not helpful.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Wow! that is amazing... and considering that I have lived in, or spent considerable time in CO, IA, MI, TX and WI and do not recall seeing any of them, I suspect that they are all smaller than their more obvious and notable cousins. Now, you got me curious and I will have to find where they all are!

And, in my opinion, when a question is asked the best response is answer it... and (especially if the questioner is a youngster) to do so in a way that encourages their interest and curiosity. Derogating anyone's lack of knowledge is not helpful.
Thank you! Nobody remembers I'm just in high school people!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM

548 posts, read 2,098,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
FWIW.. Portland, OR was named after Portland, ME.
I thought Portland, Maine was named after Portland cement.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
OK if you got a b+ in world history then you had to read and learn about the war of 1812 or the Spanish American war.i know your only in high school.
pay attention and learn all you can put down the video game and pick up a book.some will think I'm being harsh but I'm not I'm being realistic.
No your not being harsh. It's real talk. But honestly, I don't play video games. And I used to be a book scholar back in elementary and middle school. I have all kinds of awards. And I'm extremely proficient in computer skills. It's just things I have learned over the years, I just forget them. Not like permanent though. But simple things like the original question I asked. I never intended for this thread to span 3 pages long. I was just in French class bored out of my mind looking through my cell fone on city-data and saw the city "Portland" on the "Maine" forum so it got me confused because I KNEW Portland was a west coast city. So it had me thinking maybe I'm the one all these years who hasn't known where Maine is and perhaps it id on the west coast? Those thoughts came to me and I said well I don't really have the time nor the energy to go to google. I just didn't feel like it to be quite frank. I'm already here so might as well ask and get a quick answer from the people of Maine themselves. Also Because I wrote the entire first post in single dashes of my substitute teacher walking around the room.

But just to clarify things. I can name the fifty states just fine. However, my mind isn't attuned to knowing the exact location of every single state/city/capital. Most likely, I know where they are at if you were to threaten me or something, but just randomly asking me and honestly, I wouldn't know. It's selfish and weird but I think I only remember want to remember. Ask me where Sao Paulo is and I could tell you. Ask me where Fukuoka is and I could tell you. Ask me St. Marc is and I could tell you.

But you don't know where Maine is?? I know I know. I'm the big doodoo head. In my defense, I did mention in my post nonchalantly where it was. I just wasn't sure at the moment because of when I saw Portland listed under it. That's it. There's nothing more to it. I didn't know there were 2 major city Portlands. Oops. Silly me for asking. But to argue that, perhaps I should have changed the title of the thread if that was the case. Oh god. Now I'm argueing with myself. Anyways, sorry if this thread got out of hand. It really wasn't to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine