Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:17 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
ive heard of the concept of buying into a cow so to speak and retrieving your cuts when the meat is matured. i've often thought about doing that
you dont want it too "matured" most western cattle are around 18-20 months

beware of any native critters over 30 months old , thats the recognized age cut-off (higher risk of mad-cow from brain and spinal cord)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
A little off topic, but still on the same page I guess...

Does anyone know of any place that retails Wagyu beef (the famous breed that is the primary source of "Kobe" beef from Kobe, Japan) in Maine? I know of one place in the Boston area and they charge about $40/ounce. I've paid less elsewhere ($30/oz is relatively reasonable), but can't find it retail anywhere near me. I'd gladly have my girlfriend in Portland pick some up if it were retailed anywhere around there. I can mail order it, but I just don't trust spending the money and not seeing it in person first.

The stuff is incredible and worth the price (for special occasions, not every "steak night") if you've ever tried it. The approach to cooking it is more on par with cooking an ahi tuna steak than a normal beef steak (meaning, lightly seasoned, thin strips, and seared quickly to produce a cooked exterior and a very rare interior). The steak is marbled to perfection and is ultra tender. I've had it at a few restaurants in the Boston area (never seen it anywhere in Portland), but I'd like to buy a small bit myself. If anyone is familiar with a place that may retail it in Maine, please let me know! Thanks.
id call french and brawn in camden (meat managers name is john) they have many high end items and get deliveries from top shelf vendors (such as dole and bailey out of boston and sysco(that delivers to restaurants)

i dont know anywhere that retails it-way too expensive to display-if it doesnt sell, you cant turn it into burger and make a profit...

ive seen pictures of this beef and its so marbled, you barely see any red,,,im sure its tasty,,, its got to be, its mostly fat (marble may melt and all, but its still fat) and yes, id love to try it,,just a tad above my taste budget

good luck!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Another one to get in contact with is Pineland Farms in Fort Fairfield. They don't do the butchering themselves but they do arrange for it to be done. The best bet is if they have to take an animal out of their organic program because a scratch or something had to be treated with an antibotic. As soon as that is done, the animal is out of the high dollar program and sold dirt cheap - last I knew: cut, wrapped, and freezer ready for $2.25 - $2.50 a pound (That was about 15 months ago). GREAT beef!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Another one to get in contact with is Pineland Farms in Fort Fairfield. They don't do the butchering themselves but they do arrange for it to be done. The best bet is if they have to take an animal out of their organic program because a scratch or something had to be treated with an antibotic. As soon as that is done, the animal is out of the high dollar program and sold dirt cheap - last I knew: cut, wrapped, and freezer ready for $2.25 - $2.50 a pound (That was about 15 months ago). GREAT beef!

there's also a pineland farms in new gloucester, thats the parent company of wolfesneck farms, it is naturally raised beef, but not organic (because of the feed)

Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
id call french and brawn in camden (meat managers name is john) they have many high end items and get deliveries from top shelf vendors (such as dole and bailey out of boston and sysco(that delivers to restaurants)

i dont know anywhere that retails it-way too expensive to display-if it doesnt sell, you cant turn it into burger and make a profit...

ive seen pictures of this beef and its so marbled, you barely see any red,,,im sure its tasty,,, its got to be, its mostly fat (marble may melt and all, but its still fat) and yes, id love to try it,,just a tad above my taste budget

good luck!!!
Thanks! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

It's not exactly in my budget either. When I've had it, it's been one HECK of a treat.

I've never ordered it in large quantities. In fact, I've never cooked it myself. I had a few small strips at a Japanese restaurant in Boston (Oishii) that did it well for $8/ strip (probably 3 inches long x 1/2 inch wide and not too thick). It was delicious and a lot cheaper than buying it as a whole steak. At another Restaurant, my father's boss insisted we try it so I got a 3oz bit at a restaurant called K.O. Prime that was selling it for $36/oz (hey, he insisted and he was paying). Too pricey for me, but I'm thinking that it may make a great gift for my parent's anniversary.

Absolutely special occasion stuff. But you're right about the marbling. That's why it has to be cooked quickly (seared rare) or you ruin the meat (that's an EXPENSIVE mistake to make).

Old 09-09-2009, 07:01 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Thanks! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

It's not exactly in my budget either. When I've had it, it's been one HECK of a treat.

I've never ordered it in large quantities. In fact, I've never cooked it myself. I had a few small strips at a Japanese restaurant in Boston (Oishii) that did it well for $8/ strip (probably 3 inches long x 1/2 inch wide and not too thick). It was delicious and a lot cheaper than buying it as a whole steak. At another Restaurant, my father's boss insisted we try it so I got a 3oz bit at a restaurant called K.O. Prime that was selling it for $36/oz (hey, he insisted and he was paying). Too pricey for me, but I'm thinking that it may make a great gift for my parent's anniversary.

Absolutely special occasion stuff. But you're right about the marbling. That's why it has to be cooked quickly (seared rare) or you ruin the meat (that's an EXPENSIVE mistake to make).
Where does that Wagyu beef originate irfox? I have a friend who works for an import company. They import some kind of beef from Spain that's sells for $1200.00 a pound. I don't know the name of the beef off the top of my head but I know they are the only importer for it in the Northeast.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Where does that Wagyu beef originate irfox? I have a friend who works for an import company. They import some kind of beef from Spain that's sells for $1200.00 a pound. I don't know the name of the beef off the top of my head but I know they are the only importer for it in the Northeast.

japan,,is my guess (kobe

Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 PM

Here's a link to buy all you want

Shop Online (http://www.morganranchinc.com/2858.htm?gclid=CLaZweDy5ZwCFeRL5QodaF6JFQ - broken link)

Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
I used to buy a whoe strip from town and country... I am not familiar about buying beef from local farmers... however buying bulk from town and country was cheaper and I was never dissapointed in the beef..

Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 PM

How about rabbit?? Anyone know of a place you can buy whole or cut up rabbits? I used to get them in Portland at Commercial Fruit but thery're gone now. Rabbit is excellent meat and the highest protein of any meat there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine