Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:13 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times

Advertisements

Possibly their necks are red from doing work outside in the summer. I think it's a bit sexist to refer to our two Senators as Rhinos (women at that).

Old 09-07-2009, 01:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Possibly their necks are red from doing work outside in the summer. I think it's a bit sexist to refer to our two Senators as Rhinos (women at that).
I like those two. Sorry that I'm just parrotting what i hear on the talk radio from the repugs down here in tx. No offense meant.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Maine used to be Republican. In order to get elected, some candidates adopted the Republican label even though they are left of the average Democrat. It fooled the voters. One made the statement that all it takes to get elected is to smile and be prompt. She's correct.

As to progressive areas, every college town in Maine with the possible exception of Bangor is very progressive. They swing the elections of whole counties. Husson College is in Bangor and Husson is middle of the road. I would not call them progressive, more like the average Mainer who somebody above says are "live and let live".

Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine used to be Republican. In order to get elected, some candidates adopted the Republican label even though they are left of the average Democrat. It fooled the voters. One made the statement that all it takes to get elected is to smile and be prompt. She's correct.

As to progressive areas, every college town in Maine with the possible exception of Bangor is very progressive. They swing the elections of whole counties. Husson College is in Bangor and Husson is middle of the road. I would not call them progressive, more like the average Mainer who somebody above says are "live and let live".
Does the "Live and let Live" attitude apply to same sex partners wanting to get married by the State? Or is that where they might draw the line?

Old 09-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,736 times
I am confused...are you asking if the political climate will favor you marrying a same sex partner? If you are, then why the "progressive" topic title in the original post?

Personally (not speaking as a current Mainer, but one who will be a Mainer someday) I am a live and let live person. Again, I don't know if you are asking about the politicians, the voters, or the average feeling of folks in Main in general. I don't care what you do as long as it doesn't hurt someone else, and they are above the age of consent. And no, I don't think it leads down a rocky path to legalizing marriage with animals, space aliens, and paper doll cutouts. I draw my personal line at the point where there is no consent. Anything else is simply none of my business, it is yours.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
some coworkers had made the comment about the "rednecks" which seems contradictory to me.
Blue collar workers in Maine see red whenever a tax and spend bill is passed, but than again I've been known to get a little red under the collar whenever............

Anywho, since you haven't really defined the topic of this thread and it is leading us toward a path of political uncorrectness, please visit this topic (?) in P&OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine