Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,558,567 times

Advertisements

We didn't do anything "grand" this summer but enough to make it a bit memorable. In June took 2 trips to daughter's place in NH for grand daughter's graduation from HS. Then another trip down to take her our graduation present. Our car which we decided to pass on to her rather than trade in. It's a 2000 Camry which had only 49K on it - but I'm sure a few more by now.

We attended one of the films at the Film Festival in Waterville.
We attended a play at Lakewood Theater - "Duck Hunter Shoots Angel"

Took a drive down to Corea Beach in Gouldsboro. I can let the summer go by without a trip to the saltwater. This is kind of like a little secret beach. It is right across the street from a fabulous B & B called Ocean Meadows. If we had known it was open for business I would have brought my P Js and tooth brush.

In July we went to the Bangor State Fair when daughter and grand daughter were up for a 2 night visit. I haven't been to it for ages but did want to see the Tigers. The do not perform but were here to educate people about how endangered they are in the wild. These 6 or 7 were raised in captivity from birth. They were absolutely gorgeous and well worth the price of the fair admission.

This weekend we will spend at least a few hours at the Folk Festival.
Still haven't had lobster - but most of them are soft shells now - which I don't care for. I would prefer steamers (clams)

What memories do you have of summer '09?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,403,159 times
Botda Farm ........... we bought our home this summer.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:32 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,707,440 times
Nice thread, newdaawn! What made this summer memorable for us was just being here in Maine. To finally live here has been an amazing experience. We went to various beaches throughout the summer, and also spent a lot of time hanging out at different harbors. (We like the free stuff!) Buying our little house was great too. (Unpacking not so much...) The Union Fair was another highlight. I think there are too many memorable moments, so I'll stop here...

Old 08-29-2009, 08:40 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,899,727 times
We spent time with family over the 4th. Got to go to "The Producers" at Lakewood (?) in Skowhegan. Mostly we worked stripping wallpaper, patching, painting, and laying flooring in the rental house. Still some left of summer so we may get the motorcycle out for clams in Castine. Plenty of time left.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,571,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Took a drive down to Corea Beach in Gouldsboro. I can let the summer go by without a trip to the saltwater. This is kind of like a little secret beach. It is right across the street from a fabulous B & B called Ocean Meadows. If we had known it was open for business I would have brought my P Js and tooth brush.
Great thread! My husband grew up one town over. I love that little beach!

There are two events that stand out and both involve CD members. We got together with Mollysmiles and family, elcarim and family and others to hike in Baxter State Park. We hiked in the rain in the morning and enjoyed absolutely perfect sunny, warm but not hot weather in the afternoon.

My youngest child spent six weeks at Bowdoin College. Our own Mermaid picked her up on campus and took her out to eat. They'd never met face to face but we talk about Mermaid here at home like we've known her forever. A few weeks later Mollysmiles and I met Mermaid in Bangor for a quick lunch.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,284,784 times
my son and i won a "father and son" golf tournament (he's the good one at 16 he qualified for the maine amateur, and is captain of his high school golf team, i'm a hacker)
family gatherings are always memorable !!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 08:53 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,586,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
my son and i won a "father and son" golf tournament (he's the good one at 16 he qualified for the maine amateur, and is captain of his high school golf team, i'm a hacker)
family gatherings are always memorable !!!!
That is cool!

Old 08-29-2009, 04:42 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,498,363 times
Best memories of 2009 summer in Maine for me is that I FINALLY got to come back for vacation after 11 years. I did not realize just HOW MUCH I missed Maine. Some of the more unusual things I love about Maine is that it is authentic quirky and, complex without being complicated.

It's hard to decide what would be the most memorable parts of my vacation. Of course, visiting with friends is right up there. But in terms of activities/places visited there would have to be a couple standouts. OK, more than a couple.

First, I took a lunch cruise to the tiny fishing village of Frenchboro ME, off the coast near Bass Harbor. A remarkable place, and a remarkable trip.

Second as always, I enjoyed the Winter Harbor Lobster Festival. A very welcoming group of people. Great fun.

Third, I had heard of this place a while ago, Bagaduce Lunch, south of Orland, on the Bagaduce River. Very beautiful spot. Well off the beaten track. Absolutely delicious crab roll--one of the best I've ever had. I'm home enjoying the sea heather wreath purchased there as well.

Fourth, I got lost over by Lamoine and saw some absolutely breathtaking scenery.

Fifth, I even enjoyed watching tourists seeing Maine for the first time. It's really pretty funny. I saw on a pickup the following bumper sticker, "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot em?" And actually understood what that meant, and could chuckle about it.

I could go on and on, but will stop now. But I will be back, and it won't be 11 years in between.(BTW: My family started vacationing in Maine over 40 years ago. At various times, my parents' house looked like the State of Maine Travel and Tourism Office.)

Old 08-29-2009, 05:53 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,586,827 times
My best memory of the summer is adopting my new baby. She was the product of a nasty divorce on the left coast and destined to be orphaned. After filing the proper paperwork, I had her within a couple of weeks. I am gently coddling and stroking her, as I type.

She is a genuine Armalite AR 10 with all the bells and whistles. She was to be melted down by the DOJ within a couple of weeks after I was made aware of her.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:02 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,211,350 times
maine had a summer in 2009????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine