Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:40 PM

27 posts, read 44,848 times

Advertisements

I realize that it's probably NOT illegal in the biggest eyes of any state or federal law; but I am absolutely more concerned about the local customs and sensibilities held by those life-long generational residents of Maine (especially in the More Downeast areas around Machias and Eastport - "The County" areas around Caribou and then the Farmington area) and how it would be "viewed" by them to have someone just pull safely off the side of ANY road (at basically ANY time - perhaps especially during the winter months) and go traipsing off into the woods, fields or any coastal land areas for an impromptu hike, to snap a few (VERY amateurish) photographs or even to just have a small "picnic" outside of any or all designated parks, reserves, campgrounds, etc...

For example in the photos below...I took these ONLY from the side of the road (#1. is on the way to Camden on Route 1 and #2. is of the Narraguagus River around Route 193 @ Beddington taken in 2007) but boy, how I really wanted to venture further afield to go exploring a bit...and even though I saw NO indication of a posting against trespassing or even a nearby house, outbuilding, etc AND it didn't appear to be farm/berry land of any sorts; I still did not want to risk intruding upon someone else's or the community's sense of space and decorum until I might be better informed....so I stayed put, quickly snapped the photos and drove on...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maine 07 (Route 1 to Belfast - Camden Hauntingly Quiet fields of Boulders Left behind by Retreat.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	47033 Click image for larger version

Name:	Maine 07 (Downeast Washington County - Route #193 and Narraguagus River @ The Village of Bedding.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	47034

Sooo Was I (am I?) being TOO considerate and reverential?? (if such a thing is ever possible ) or am I reacting in the right ways to be this cautious?

...Not so much a question of where; but how do you: Maine Writer, El Carim, 7th Generation, Don Dunbar (even though he's probably Not a participant here) and soo many others of you on this forum seem to be able to get out "there" into the back country - wilder coastal areas and stretch the views a bit more...

{also, on kind of a related note: because Mainers as a rule are renowned for stopping to check on a fellow traveller, on the side of the road, especially during the winter season - if you (by consensus as a group ) think it's acceptable for me to go "walking off road" (basically anywhere - any time) should I put a note on my vehicle, letting any possible "good samaritans" know I'm Okie Dokie??? }

I'd much appreciate ANY and ALL feedback ANY of you could give me....

Always,
Corey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
feel free to walk in the woods....

except for hunting season , be sure to wear blaze orange if you do.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM

503 posts, read 1,026,852 times
I was wondering that myself. Being a transplant here. I know it's always best to get the land owners permission, but that's not always possible. Also, I'd like to take pictures of barns in the area and offer up a calendar with said pictures in it. What's everyones take on something like that ?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
I was wondering that myself. Being a transplant here. I know it's always best to get the land owners permission, but that's not always possible. Also, I'd like to take pictures of barns in the area and offer up a calendar with said pictures in it. What's everyones take on something like that ?

id feel free to stop and take pictures....

i travel around the state weekly, i notice the diffent barns,(styles) the larger ones seem to be in aroostook county.
there is one just south of ashland, one of the largest ones ive seen- alot of history in them old barns..

i think the barn calendar would be a great idea.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Look for No Trespassing signs and houses. Listen for activity. If someone pulls off onto our side road they'll find themselves in our wood yard and possibly surrounded by angry dogs. If you don't see signs and activity you're probably ok. A lot of land in Maine isn't inhabited and is open to use. I didn't see a No Trespassing sign while picking mushrooms Monday. Ooops! I backed out of the cabin's driveway, then spotted the signs 20' up, nailed with easily 50 nails each and very faded, because I was looking for them.

If in doubt, ask. I don't think you'll encounter many who will say no. We do have people ask to use our land. We usually say yes and point them in the direction of what they're looking for.

If you're heading out this way to go exploring and want company, let me know. I could drive the back roads all day. I really don't go that far off the beaten path.

FYI - bear season opens soon, then bird, then moose followed by deer. It's deer you need to be especially careful to wear blaze orange in but it doesn't hurt during the rest too. We keep vests in the vehicles. During deer season - no white mittens or hats. They resemble deer tails.

I've gone way beyond what you asked so I'll keep going and throw this in too. If you fish you'll find places you wish you had your pole. Paper bags for cones, mushrooms and other finds are helpful. Extra batteries and memory cards for the camera are useful. You'll want boots (at least hikers) and dry socks too. You never know what you might get into. And don't forget the TP.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 PM

27 posts, read 44,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine writer View Post
i've gone way beyond what you asked .....
OMG! NO WAY! Your reply IS perfect MW!...Don't Stop! (uh, unless ya want or have to; that is ) it's every bit the type of info I was hoping for, but didn't really know how to fully describe it...thank you a thousand times

Quote:
...no white mittens or hats. They resemble deer tails....
{*Ahem*} Even without my wearing a white hat and/or gloves; I still resemble a Deer's Butt (er; I mean - Tail)

Quote:
If you're heading out this way to go exploring and want company, let me know. I could drive the back roads all day.....
Would this offer perhaps extend into the middle of January when I'll be out for vacation? (weather permitting, of course and IF I can gather up enough coordination - and yes even confidence - in my "snow driving legs" again )

....Understanding your present work loads; this is actually just a rhetorical question to you for now...as it's still 158 days away there's still a lot of time to go yet; but yes, I would indeed be interested (as long as it wouldn't infringe on anything you and yours got goin' on at that time ) ....I VERY much appreciate the offer....as time goes by and as it gets closer I'm sure we'll talk more about this here and/or through DM, etc ....

But in the meantime...be well and may you and yours enjoy a happy summer-time weekend...Good Night...

Always,
Corey

Old 08-15-2009, 05:03 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,937,787 times
I think if you want to take pictures near someone's home...pictures of houses, barns, personal property such as old tractors or the like, it is a very nice touch to ask permission. Most people won't mind, but some will. Most people will probably give permission freely, but some will want to know WHY you want a picture, and if the picture is used for commercial purposes you must have a legal release from the owner.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a Humble Bard View Post
Would this offer perhaps extend into the middle of January when I'll be out for vacation? (weather permitting, of course and IF I can gather up enough coordination - and yes even confidence - in my "snow driving legs" again )

....Understanding your present work loads; this is actually just a rhetorical question to you for now...as it's still 158 days away there's still a lot of time to go yet; but yes, I would indeed be interested (as long as it wouldn't infringe on anything you and yours got goin' on at that time ) ....I VERY much appreciate the offer....as time goes by and as it gets closer I'm sure we'll talk more about this here and/or through DM, etc ....
158 days but who's counting. I can easily take time off in January. We'll talk as it gets closer, see what the weather's like, etc.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:29 AM

503 posts, read 1,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Most people will probably give permission freely, but some will want to know WHY you want a picture, and if the picture is used for commercial purposes you must have a legal release from the owner.
Excelent point Acadianlion

Thanls everyone for your helpful tips and info

Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
If you are in the Caribou area in January and want to just "Wander off" into the woods, don't forget your snowshoes. Without them, a very short distance is needed to convince yourself they are a worthwhile investment. Trudging through waist deep (or deeper) snow gets old VERY fast. Another consideration about parking by the side of the road at that time of year is the snow plowing. It is rare to go a day or two up there without the trucks being out doing snow removal of some sort. Either removing fresh stuff that has fallen overnight or during the day, to winging back the banks to make room for the next snowfall. You may come back and find a 2 or 3 foot wall of snow around your vehicle where the plow has gone around if you are away from it for a long time. Most of the time the guys are real good about it, but sometimes there isn't much they CAN do to avoid it.

There are plenty of great areas to go out and explore in that area. Washburn is a nice little place that you can go out to and get rather deep into the woods in a very short time. Look up the "Dunntown road" and drive to the end and you will have miles and miles of woods to explore. Same with the "Gardner Creek road" that starts right at the South end of town by Whites Exxon station. That runs along the Aroostook river and is very pretty. Just on the other side of the river is the "Castle Hill" road that turns into the "South Wade" road if you want to stay by the river. During the summer that is open all the way through to the State road that will take you into Ashland and is MUCH shorter way between Washburn and Ashland.

Well enough rambling, have fun; when in doubt - ask. If you do ask and are given the green light (99% of the time) don't abuse the permission. Basically I mean be a boy scout when you are out there , don't take anything more than photos, leave nothing more than tracks. Mainers are generally a friendly bunch and have no problem giving permission to walk about and take photos, they are also not sheep and will toss you off just as fast for misdeeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine