Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 AM

263 posts, read 802,450 times

Advertisements

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM

703 posts, read 2,953,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Glad you had a good time. Sounds like you got some 4 wheeling in too, though unintended. Those logging roads above Greenville are not for the feint of heart. Especially the one between Kokadjo and The Golden Road. You did your fair share of helping to support the local lobstermen too by the looks of it! Nice Pix! I may have to have another lobster roll or two before the leaves are gone! Any plans to return??
So true regarding the logging road. It was quite hair-raising, we were praying the whole time that we do not hit any potholes large enough to disable the car. The foliage was amazing around Lazy Tom Bog and Spencer Bay, but really not much to see along Kokadjo until The Golden Road.

We almost drove into a bog on the way back from Baxter because one of the Fireroad that the GPS told us to take was flooded by a beaver dam! To make matter worst, it was a single lane, barely wide enough for the compact car, with the water suddenly appearing around the bush. That was quite heart-stopping when it appeared as well as trying to reverse out of there.

Some of the locals (in their pickup trucks and SUVs) were just FLYING along the Golden Road and Kokajo. It was somewhat shocking to see them do that (I of course pulled off to the side for anyone and everyone. . .did not want to slow down these locals from getting to and from work) with my sightseeing drive.

We definitely plan on going back. . .gotta keep supporting the local lobstermen!!!

Can't beat $7.95/lb for 2 lb+ lobstahs!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 AM

703 posts, read 2,953,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalieCat View Post
Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing!

And thanks to everyone who helped me plan such a beautiful trip with their invaluable inputs!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:49 PM

56 posts, read 140,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Why not fly into Portland instead of Boston. That is one ugly drive from Boston to Portland. I would alos skip Old Orchard Beach and drive right to Freeport and stay at the wonderful Harraseeket Inn. Great food and indoor pool. Greenville foliage will be about over by the 11th of October. I agree with the person who said check out Bar Harbor - be sure to do Ocean Drive.
I flew into Portland for my vacation this summer and took a day trip to Boston. My relatives also said it would be an "ugly drive". Well I live in the greater Los Angeles area and I found the drive down 95 to be a very pleasant experience. I left OOB about 8:00am and made it to Boston Harbor around 10:00am...not bad at all. And as far as I was concerned, there was no traffic at all. The turnpike was full speed all the way. For all my future visits, I plan to fly into Boston and drive the rest of the way. The flight is cheaper and I do not have to have a lay over in that "ugly" JFK airport and the car rentals are cheaper than at Jetport as well.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:38 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,936,931 times
Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park for sure

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,511,910 times
What a great trip...loved the photos.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM

227 posts, read 418,325 times
Beautiful pictures! I don't know how you managed to travel to so many areas in such a short time, but you certainly made the most of it!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
Hi.I have decided to relocate to Portland,Maine next year by june. I will be coming from Los Angeles,California. Can any of you suggest destinations for me for this road trip to Maine. Happy Christmas!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:40 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,590,734 times
It depends on where in Maine you want to tour. The coast? Inland? The western Mountains? Also how long will you be here?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 PM

58 posts, read 96,338 times
Be sure and hit the Golden Road and stop into Millinocket for pizza. Best Pizza in Maine is in Millinocket. But you should probably stop into Pittston farms on your way in for breakfast too. Hmmmm .... lots of food increases the waist line so between the two, you should probably stop by Baker lake and do some swimming and musky fishing to help burn off all that food
Heading to pittston farms, you will be going on the left side of moosehead so watch out for Moose as you go. Lots and lots of Moose on that stretch of road.

NUTS!... I forgot about the black frog Inn!. You are going to have to eat more and fish more,,, there is just to many good places to eat on that trip! LOL! Tell you what... have a breakfast at the diner in Dover foxcroft and then go on the boat in greenville. Then have a light lunch at the black frog and head to pittston farms for second lunch. after that, you can swim/fish and head for millinocket for the Pizza. By this time you are going to be so tired and sleepy you will probably need to sleep. DONT do that on your way back to wherever!. hahahaha.

Last edited by KMR HVAC; 12-24-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine