Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
My Daughter had the satellite internet in Vermont and hated it. They ended up getting Blackberries and going with their wireless system. They're still not all that fired up about the wireless system but she says it's 10 times better than the sattellite.

I have checked with Verizon about service by going wireless. I have to do some more checking because I am not sure I understood what I was told correctly. Which in itself is nothing new.

I though they did say there was a limit on useage, then you pay for minutes like you would using a cell phone. Not sure if I understood this correctly so back I will go because for me it might the best option for my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I'll add my 2 cents about Hughesnet. I am just waiting out the days until I've been on it two years so that I can avoid the $300 penalty they impose if you drop the service early. That penalty should tell you right there what to expect out of that sleeze company.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 AM

92 posts, read 226,303 times
I'd watch out for the satellite dish unless you have absolutely no other options -
A> They severely limit the bandwidth you can use, especially if you do anything intensive like downloads. They can actually degrade the service to speeds around dial-up.
B> It's slow, latencywise, because your data has to go up to a satellite, down again, then up from there, and down to you.
C> Contracts, up front costs, etc.
D> You'll never be doing any online gaming on it, (see B).

I'd watch out as far as using the cell network because -
A> Verizon Wireless doesn't do much of Washington and Hancock County, which means you're better off with US Cellular there. US Cellular does sell Aircards and they upgraded to 3G recently in much of ME. Verizon customers can roam for voice and the slower 2G data service, but only US Cellular customers get access to the new US Cellular 3G service.
B> The limit is 5GB of transfer a month on either carrier. They really don't want you watching Netflix on it or anything like that.

The Wireless ISPs in these areas may be better, and they're certainly more responsive than the satellite dish.

This is something that is installed on the house usually, with an antenna and a small radio. They usually install it all for you and it works similar to regular DSL in terms of speed.

In Washington and Hancock County, (Axiom Technologies, LLC | Bringing the internet to rural communities) serves much of the area.
In Hancock, Waldo, Somerset, Penobscot and Piscataquis (and some other) counties, Premium Choice Broadband (Premium Choice Broadband - Internet Service Provider) covers much of the area either through their company or through Mainely Wired (which they acquired earlier in the year). I usually call PCB 'the place I work', but I also work for some other places.

Up North (Aroostook County), Aroostook Internet (Home) (which just acquired SJV), and Pioneer Wireless (Pioneer Broadband - DSL, Cable, Wireless, Satellite, Dialup, Web Hosting, Data Center).

For people in Fairpoint areas, they may also want to check out Great Works Internet at (GWI: Phone and Internet service for your Maine home or business) . GWI sells a faster and more reliable service over the Fairpoint copper. They seem to have more stroke to actually fix problems. However, GWI's network does not extend into Washington County, though they cover all the way up to Presque Isle, and down to Ellsworth, over to Norway, etc. I am a very happy GWI customer for many years.

There's also always the cable company. Time Warner is something like 85% of the cable coverage in the state. However, cable covers something like 60% of the state and most of that is in Southern Maine. Obviously cable is scarce in much of the surface area of the state, especially north of Augusta.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Pioneer is available in parts of Washington county. I've had it for four years and am pleased with it. I asked Axiom about service. They said no. If I can get service from Pioneer, TW or Fairpoint they cannot offer me service. If Axiom had better service they'd be my choice - if I had choice.

Quote:
For people in Fairpoint areas,
Only some people in Fairpoint areas. They called several times to offer broadband. That's not a service they offer here. Their phone lines are so old the best they can do for me is 26.4 dial up.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,419,586 times
The only "high speed" we're able to get here is satellite. We chose Wild Blue simply because they had the better deal and better rates. Other than the fact that we lose signal when the weather is bad, it's not been too terribly bad. It's NOT DSL, but it's working.

Also, I upload a lot of pics (big shock! ) and haven't gone over-limit with bandwidth yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine