Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

None of my hunting buddies or I were drawn for a moose permit ...again!
I have had three of them so I'm not complaining, though none of my friends have ever won one. It seems strange with the odds way down from when I won that no one else would get one. Oh well what's another $22 dollars to the State.

Check here to see if you're one of the lucky winners.

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - 2009 Moose Lottery Winners (http://moose.informe.org/index.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:06 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,170 times
Default Flying Moose in Clinton, Maine

On May 11, I learned from the TM of Clinton Maine, that the house in the old picture from 1900, was found in Clinton (see albums).

The next day, on May 12th, a moterist reported a 500 pound moose fell out of the sky!
The moose fell 18 feet, when it jumped a guardrail on an overpass on I-95 and ended up on Hinckley road, DOA. I don't know how they weighed it in that state?? The Driver who reported it, was "pretty excited"!

[SIZE=4]Maybe you're looking in the wrong place. Just bring along your Maine DL, and look skyward in Clinton![/SIZE]

Old 06-19-2009, 10:14 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Default Moose Permit

Nope. We didn't get one this year either. I do have a hunting coworker whose husband did 'tho.

My DH put in for over 20 years before he got one. My son was hoping for a couple of days off from school. Bummer!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:15 AM

Not something you want to see falling from the sky!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Nope. We didn't get one this year either. I do have a hunting coworker whose husband did 'tho.

My DH put in for over 20 years before he got one. My son was hoping for a couple of days off from school. Bummer!
With all of the chances the State sells(cash cow) and gives away it's possible for a person to accumulate 10 or more chances per year. Multiply that by 10 family members and the family gets 100 chances per year! I think it should be one chance per LICENCED hunter like it used to be. No more raffling off permits to the highest bidders, getting everyone and their brother to enter whether they have ever hunted before or not, and out of staters should be alternates only!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default been in every year since the first lottery

and finally I felt this would be my year to win a moose permit!

Wrong, so wrong. I'll be too old to pull back the string on my bow when I finally get picked.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
and finally I felt this would be my year to win a moose permit!

Wrong, so wrong. I'll be too old to pull back the string on my bow when I finally get picked.
The lottery USED to be fair. It was open to LEGITIMATE LICENSED hunters only so dedicated hunters were the only ones picked. You had to have your license number before you applied for a permit so it weeded out the family of 20 putting in every cousin, aunt Zelda, and the nine year old twins. The way it is set up now you can pay $22 dollars and buy six chances.You don't have to have a hunting license beforehand, and if you do not get drawn you automatically get an extra chance thrown in the following year. It is conceivable that a large family could invest a couple of hundred dollars and walk away with 150 or more chances! The single guy gets the shaft here as he has only six chances if he wants to pay $22.00 or one if he does not. Even though there were only 56,000 applicants for 3000 permits that adds up to over 336,000 to one if every person buys the six or those with more average out to the six per applicant. It may be an even higher number than that! Odds are very much in favor of large families who sign up everyone they can find to get a permit. It should go back to only licensed hunters, they should not raffle off any permits and out of staters should be on an alternate list instead of being in the lottery. It was supposed to be a way for legitimate Maine hunters to get a fair chance at bagging a moose not a cash cow for IFandW or a freezer filling opportunity for extended families.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default mdifw

Those guys are sharp!
Selling hope to thousands is priceless.
Having a mission statement of giving Maine hunters a chance to hunt a moose is not a reality. A good marketing slogan but not quite reality.

The mission statement is generating money. The lottery is perfectly structured to create loopholes and schemes for the chance takers to be creative. Cutiing off those loopholes will lose mondo $$$$ for the state.

Minus non resident lottery fees and subsequent license fees would put the patient in critical care.

At this point, I realize what the moose lottery is and each chance buys me a few months of hope, something to look forward to. Think luck, not statistics or you will make yourself crazy. If God wants you to shoot a moose, He only requires you buy one ticket. If the state of Maine wants you to shoot a moose they'll urge you to buy into a statistical argument that 3 more chances/$$$$$ will improve your odds of being
selected. Mathematically true but infintesimal improvement of odds.

MDIFW also has a neat method of 'contact us' on their website. Fill out the tedious form, ask your questions and click 'return'. A note pops up claiming you forget to complete an asterisked field. 'go back' and everything you entered is GONE. Keeps the riff raf away from the understaffed office. Will keep most men from ever asking the state a question.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Those guys are sharp!
Selling hope to thousands is priceless.
Having a mission statement of giving Maine hunters a chance to hunt a moose is not a reality. A good marketing slogan but not quite reality.

The mission statement is generating money. The lottery is perfectly structured to create loopholes and schemes for the chance takers to be creative. Cutiing off those loopholes will lose mondo $$$$ for the state.

Minus non resident lottery fees and subsequent license fees would put the patient in critical care.

At this point, I realize what the moose lottery is and each chance buys me a few months of hope, something to look forward to. Think luck, not statistics or you will make yourself crazy. If God wants you to shoot a moose, He only requires you buy one ticket. If the state of Maine wants you to shoot a moose they'll urge you to buy into a statistical argument that 3 more chances/$$$$$ will improve your odds of being
selected. Mathematically true but infintesimal improvement of odds.

MDIFW also has a neat method of 'contact us' on their website. Fill out the tedious form, ask your questions and click 'return'. A note pops up claiming you forget to complete an asterisked field. 'go back' and everything you entered is GONE. Keeps the riff raf away from the understaffed office. Will keep most men from ever asking the state a question.
As I said in the beginning I've had three permits so I really do not have a horse in this race. I do hear a lot of complaints from people who have never won a permit saying it's just a big game for Maine and has lost it's original intent. Who said this State is against gambling??

Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,183 times
my brother got a bull moose permit this year.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine