Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,171,577 times

Advertisements

Yes...I remember this. Marshall Dodge was a lot like many other Mainers I knew in years past - particularly the ones who lived through the depression - my father included.

My mother once had a dream that he came down the driveway driving a locomotive. When she asked him what in the "h" he was going to do with it, his reply was "Oh, I'll put it out back and use it for parts."

When I was very young, I often loved to go with him to visit his friend "Lucky." I believe that he lived in Hampden or somewhere near there - I forget now. At any rate, he had a garage full (and I'm talking floor to ceiling) of every manner of bric-a-brac you can imagine. It was better than a circus to a 7 year-old. I'd drag home dolls, antique toys, all sorts of stuff. It was great fun.

I love the way Tim Sample paid tribute to Marshall in a poem. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Marshall Dodge, rest his soul.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Tim Sample is pretty funny and I like him because he is funny without being lewd or infusing his humor with lots of foul words. I have respect for that.

For kids, Rick Charette and the Bubble Gum Band is funny in song and seems to keep the younger Mainer's laughing.

Right Now Bob Marley has a pretty good following in Maine too. I think he would make for a lot better comedian if he was actually funny. I listen a lot to WKIT and he is on there a lot, but I can listen to his whole spiel and not laugh once. He is just not funny to me.
Rick Charette is annoying!! Mud Mud I Love Mud.....something about an old guy singing kiddie songs gives me the creeps.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM

124 posts, read 163,510 times
I says to my friend Clyde, "Clyde, you need to keep your shades closed, I walked by last night and saw your wife sittin' on your lap."

Clyde says to me "Ha, jokes on you, I weren't home last night."

Joe Perham

Old 06-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman View Post
I says to my friend Clyde, "Clyde, you need to keep your shades closed, I walked by last night and saw your wife sittin' on your lap."

Clyde says to me "Ha, jokes on you, I weren't home last night."

Joe Perham

Snort! Good one.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:26 PM

333 posts, read 874,088 times
Default I am Gagnon

Had to go dig out the old cassette

Oui monsieur," I am Gagnon World Champion Moose Caller"

Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 PM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Thanks for the link... QUITE funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post

Right Now Bob Marley has a pretty good following in Maine too. I think he would make for a lot better comedian if he was actually funny. I listen a lot to WKIT and he is on there a lot, but I can listen to his whole spiel and not laugh once. He is just not funny to me.
Same here. I find him annoying. I really can't stand him and I've tried SO hard. I'm a big comedy fan (love Mitch Hedberg, Zack Galifiniakis, Nick Swardson, etc) and a lot of my favorite stuff is VERY dry; but I cringe every time I hear Bob Marley's bit. I know he's big in Maine but I don't see the draw. I went to school at UMF for two years (his alma mater) so a girlfriend made me go to his show and I just didn't get it. It was a painful few hours for me. To each their own I guess.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
gary crocker is a decent fella, very humorous! i see him quite often, we live in the same town,,

Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times

YouTube - Talking Yankee

Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Default How To Talk Yankee

Funny stuff!

Love the "volvo" reference, and "Daow!" too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine