Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:32 PM

66 posts, read 176,144 times

Advertisements

I moved right outside of Bangor two years ago. At that time the lawn and landscaping was pristine. Since I wasn't familiar with what plants they had planted, I didn't know what was a weed and what was a plant. Since then two species have gone out of control and are very obviously weeds.

1. Weed with a fan of narrow leaves and a very long spaghetti-like root system. If left, purple flowers will bloom. This weed is very fast growing and attacks other plants. The long network of roots that it grows makes it impossible to get rid of by simply pulling.

Please help identify this weed and help me get rid of it!!

2. I noticed one bush of this last summer and now it is growing everywhere. It has 3 teardrop-shape leaves at top and along branches and has very sharp prickers all along stem making it a pain to pull. The roots are long and don't come up easy.

I appreciate any help identifying these two weeds that taking over all the beautiful landscaping in such a short amount of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Please Help ID these 2 weeds!-011.jpg   Please Help ID these 2 weeds!-009.jpg   Please Help ID these 2 weeds!-007.jpg   Please Help ID these 2 weeds!-013.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
The first is vetch. It's a nitrogen-fixing legume often used in green manure crops. That probably has a purple flower that attracts bees, a good thing. The second looks like a variety of raspberry.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times
WElcome, MacMaine. I love your screen name!

Old 05-25-2009, 04:47 AM

783 posts, read 1,574,523 times
Agreed on both. The first weed/wildflower is vetch - in the Pea Family. If it gets a purple flower, it's Cow Vetch; pink flowering variety is Crown Vetch. More than you might like to know about vetch. Anathema to some, but remember, you have the opposable thumb...

Old 05-25-2009, 05:42 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Yes, I agree with the other posters. The raspberry is most certainly blackberry and VERY invasive if you don't want it. It has extremely hardy rhizomes that spread.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:01 AM

66 posts, read 176,144 times
Thank you so much for identifying these!!!

The first is the cow vetch variety... I've been looking and looking to ID this plant since last summer when I realized it was becoming a problem. At that time I was very pregnant and not keeping up with pulling it so now it is REALLY a problem. It's on a slope landscaped with creeping evergreens that my house sits on. And is attacking the evergreens and hopping over to other landscaped areas of the yard.

I was thinking about cutting it way down... then using the Mantis to chop up the roots and then spraying the soil with vinegar. But I'm thinking that maybe the roots will still regenerate... and tangle up in the Mantis blades.

Based on the fact that I am seeing so much of it... I think it's going to be something I will never get rid of fully.

Too bad the raspberries are so invasive too. I would love to have a berry garden but not in this part of the yard.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
The first is vetch. It's a nitrogen-fixing legume often used in green manure crops. That probably has a purple flower that attracts bees, a good thing. The second looks like a variety of raspberry.
good job mainewriter!!
you certainly know your weed

Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good job mainewriter!!
MBM, you sir, are totally rotten!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:42 PM

277 posts, read 891,344 times
When I worked at Robbins Lumber we had a serious vetch problem in the Christmas tree fields. We were forever spraying the fields to kill it off every spring. That stuff will grow up in to trees, flowers and anything else around. It will completely over come the stuff around it.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:56 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good job mainewriter!!
I've pulled a lot of both. You wouldn't believe how big my pot(ted) plants are! I'd stay to chat but there's a large helicopter landing in my yard and someone's pounding on the door. I think they want to see the greenhouses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine