Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM

37,664 posts, read 61,751,951 times

Advertisements

I really like this season. After the snow has gone. Before the grasses shoot up, before the leaves open, before the brush shoots up.

We can look out into the forest and see a good distance. For a short period of time that is.

We have gone out looking for mushrooms and have found a few. [mostly turkey tails]

B really likes ID'ing mushrooms.

We were driving and looking out into the forest as we passed by when B spotted some mushrooms back into the forest. So we stopped and went after them. Birch polypores they were.

Which has been used to treat chronic dermal inflammation, as well as being anti-inflammatory

Loaded with 'Piptamine' and 'Betulinic Acid' [Piptamine is an antibiotic which has been shown to be effective against anthrax. Betulinic Acid has been used to treat malignant melanomas, and is antiviral.]

It is neat the things that you can find when you look.

Soon the forests will be in full bloom and will limit how far a person can see.

I do like this season in Maine.

B prefers to find eating mushrooms, but I think it is neat when we find medicinal ones too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM

387 posts, read 609,825 times
Hmmm, didn't know you were a mushroom expert Forest! I don't pick them, but I like to look at them. Some 'shrooms around here are so pretty. I have to go into the woods to see those though. They're usually in coniferous woods.

I remember seeing one that reminded me of a bowl, but it was so rotten it fell apart when I nudged it with my foot. Didn't smell that great either.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:05 AM

653 posts, read 1,925,728 times
that is great, may be when B has time she will post the pictures and names of mushrooms grow in Maine, and the best time to see/pick them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I really like this season. After the snow has gone. Before the grasses shoot up, before the leaves open, before the brush shoots up.

We can look out into the forest and see a good distance. For a short period of time that is.

We have gone out looking for mushrooms and have found a few. [mostly turkey tails]

B really likes ID'ing mushrooms.

We were driving and looking out into the forest as we passed by when B spotted some mushrooms back into the forest. So we stopped and went after them. Birch polypores they were.

Which has been used to treat chronic dermal inflammation, as well as being anti-inflammatory

Loaded with 'Piptamine' and 'Betulinic Acid' [Piptamine is an antibiotic which has been shown to be effective against anthrax. Betulinic Acid has been used to treat malignant melanomas, and is antiviral.]

It is neat the things that you can find when you look.

Soon the forests will be in full bloom and will limit how far a person can see.

I do like this season in Maine.

B prefers to find eating mushrooms, but I think it is neat when we find medicinal ones too!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,406,460 times
This weekend should be prime for mushrooms here in the U P we finally got some much needed rain, but I , alas, will be gone south. I hate to admit the best morel spot I have is in a plant bed @ a rest home!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 AM

653 posts, read 1,925,728 times
hey Words, do you grow them or they are wild grown, what is the condition of plant bed area, shaddy,type of surronding trees, soil wet/dry, what on top of soil.
want to know if i can use as search criteria when hunting for morel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
This weekend should be prime for mushrooms here in the U P we finally got some much needed rain, but I , alas, will be gone south. I hate to admit the best morel spot I have is in a plant bed @ a rest home!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:40 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,406,460 times
Hard to know what makes the spores come alive. The plant bed I mentioned must have had the spores in the mulch ( cedar ). I have been tempted to buy spores and try to cultivate but have not talked with anyone who has done so. Peterson guide will give an idea of where each genus is most likely found. I wish I could tell you how to be sucessful in your hunt!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 AM

37,664 posts, read 61,751,951 times
We have tried buying spores, and growing them in our basement. We have not been successful though.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:36 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,429,681 times
I like the bright green of the new leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine