Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 PM
JC3 JC3 started this thread

296 posts, read 824,365 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a BIASI boiler system? If so, are they as efficient as advertised? Going to be used for propane heating and hot water.

I am not technical and know nothing about boiler systems so any help that is simple to understand would be appreciated. Or if anyone knows or has a boiler system they might recommend. This will be for a new construction. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
From my own experience I would recommend revisiting your interest in using propane for heating in a large boiler system. Propane is relatively expensive, at least now, and does not contain the energy that fuel oil does. (I am not interested in using fuel oil or petroleum for heating anything any more, either).

Some time ago, I had to replace the old boiler in an antique house that I had restored. The property was going to be sold, and the boiler failure was really not expected, nor indicated in the previous three years of operation. But fail it did, and in order to install a new one, I was going to have to line the chimney. The design and construction of the antique chimney structure made the lining of the chimney very expensive and I decided to install a propane boiler with an exterior vent through a basement window instead of up through the chimney. Worked very well, but the combination of higher cost per gallon of propane, plus the lower efficiency of burning it for heat raised the cost of operating the structure a fair amount...15% if memory serves.

Now, since you are building a new home, you can increase insulation values as well as make some design changes that can eliminate heat loss through thermal bridging, and perhaps a propane boiler will prove more efficient that way.

Insulation bought now will prove much cheaper than petroleum fuels bought over the next twenty five years.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
From my own experience I would recommend revisiting your interest in using propane for heating in a large boiler system. Propane is relatively expensive, at least now, and does not contain the energy that fuel oil does. (I am not interested in using fuel oil or petroleum for heating anything any more, either).

Some time ago, I had to replace the old boiler in an antique house that I had restored. The property was going to be sold, and the boiler failure was really not expected, nor indicated in the previous three years of operation. But fail it did, and in order to install a new one, I was going to have to line the chimney. The design and construction of the antique chimney structure made the lining of the chimney very expensive and I decided to install a propane boiler with an exterior vent through a basement window instead of up through the chimney. Worked very well, but the combination of higher cost per gallon of propane, plus the lower efficiency of burning it for heat raised the cost of operating the structure a fair amount...15% if memory serves.

Now, since you are building a new home, you can increase insulation values as well as make some design changes that can eliminate heat loss through thermal bridging, and perhaps a propane boiler will prove more efficient that way.

Insulation bought now will prove much cheaper than petroleum fuels bought over the next twenty five years.
I thank you for the response. Out of all the things, this has been one issue I been banging my head over. The heat loss calculation done actually showed propane to be a more efficient way of heating by about 7%. And no, I haven't seen how that was figured yet.

I have looked into geothermal extensively and still am not convinced it is the "best" way to go at this time. Also trying to stay within a certain figure is being factored into my considerations too. I am down to oil and propane and was given some info on a few different boiler systems. Looking them up online has made me dizzy. Naturally all are the best, according to the companies.

Thanks again for the insight and I agree about more insulation.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Well, of course the biggest issue is the cost of energy and how it will impact you in your new home. I believe it to be THE single biggest concern to have in the planning stages for any home now, because the only truth that appears to be real, is that the cost of energy will continue to rise in the future, during any reasonable life time of ownership.

I spent a lot of time researching ground source heat pumps and absolutely believe that they offer a terrific way to heat structures anywhere that the alternative is petroleum based products. BUT the biggest single drawback is the cost of electricity, and here in Maine that is totally uncontrolled and uncontrollable into the future. Heat pumps of any variety are dependent upon electicity and depending on the type of heat pump the electrical load can be substantial. IF the house is thoroughly modern in design and uses the best super insulation systems, the electrical costs of a geothermal heat pump will likely be along the general lines of a petroleum burning boiler system.

I have discarded the concept of geothermal heat pump for our own home, which we plan to start building next summer. Our decision regarding heat has changed considerably because we have decided for a variety of reasons to build this home completely off grid, and will generate electricity with a wind turbine primarily and possibly with some additional solar panels feeding into the battery system.

Now all of that research has led me to this website: www.passivehouse.us and for us, this is the direction that we will be going, and absolute minimization of electrical use on an onging basis will be mandatory, since we will not have Bangor Hydro to use as a great big huge storage battery.

I have no idea where in your house planning you are, but I strongly recommend that you take the time to visit the website and read through the material there thoroughly. You may like me decide that you don't need a heating system at all.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:12 PM

393 posts, read 982,051 times
I recently visited someone in Albany Township who is completely off the grid (since the 70s). Lots of passive solar and solar electric/solar water heater/battery backup. He had a windmill too, but it's been unused: the tower was hit by lightening in the 80s, the charge went under the ground and followed his line to his batteries, which then caught fire/exploded and burnt his hand-built house to the ground. Fortunately no one was hurt, but they had to rebuild from scratch. He isn't too interested in powering with wind any more!
I also looked into geothermal but found that it uses plenty of electricity, which made it impractical for off-grid.
In the end we're going with a wood stove, hydronic radiant heat, passive solar, solar, and a propane on-demand furnace with backup batteries. I figured we should be covered ; )

Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I thank you for the response. Out of all the things, this has been one issue I been banging my head over. The heat loss calculation done actually showed propane to be a more efficient way of heating by about 7%. And no, I haven't seen how that was figured yet.

I have looked into geothermal extensively and still am not convinced it is the "best" way to go at this time. Also trying to stay within a certain figure is being factored into my considerations too. I am down to oil and propane and was given some info on a few different boiler systems. Looking them up online has made me dizzy. Naturally all are the best, according to the companies.

Have you considered a wood pellet boiler? there is a company in maine promoting them. Here is there web site
Maine Energy Systems : Home

Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
i have a friend who has one and he says its not as efficient as he was led to believe.i told him that their efficiency findings are from optimal conditions in a lab not in the real world.he spent 3800 on propane last year.i have a tarm wood boiler.i burned 5,1/2 cord last winter cost me 350 not counting the electric add that in and i spent around 700.this year I'm getting another out door boiler like at my last house.because i like the idea of only filling it once a day.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 AM

Thanks to all of you.

I read the links you folks posted and found information to make one think. As for the various responses, home heating is a subject that I see as one of many different ideas and solutions. All good suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine