Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,227,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
Thank you, NMLM. Most people don't realize that there is such a thing as renter's rights. It just isn't practical for us to pack up all our guns and our dogs and the cat and take it all with us every time we leave the house. We are also concerned about the liability issues it could create for us, the owner and a potential buyer. The landlord agrees.
Casper - stop the insanity! Write an offer to purchase the home CONTINGENT upon yours selling and get this rental home OFF the market! Most sellers would be happy to do this with a house that's under contract and so close to closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Hijacked again.
The three keys are dynamite curb/inside appeal, cutting edge pricing and extensive marketing. You need to know what is going on in the market, what is selling, what isn't and why.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Civil people make appointments when homes are occupied. It makes no difference whether the occupant is the owner or the renter. We are not talking about somebody camping on 100 acres while it is being shown. It's a home.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Hijacked again.
I'm so sorry your thread was hijacked again! You know that happens around here with so many chefs in the kitchen. Did you ever get your original question/thread topic answered?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:12 PM

The original question was answered in the third reply in this thread. All other replies address the procedures to get same accomplished.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
After chasing numerous bunny trails through this thread, the oddest of which led me to dogs, guns and rental agreements, I see that barely a fraction of your original question was answered.

I can share that in our experience, the "FSBO" type companies just want that finger in the pie you probably would choose to avoid. They are glorified sign printers - which you can have done yourself at a fraction of the cost. They give you "all the necessary documents" you will need to sell your own home - most of which you get no help understanding and can also get for free through other sources. You'll still need to hire someone - real estate attorney, abstract co., etc. before it's all said and done. You should be able to get quotes on the closing costs/fees associated with the sale based on the assumed selling price of your home.

There is a lot you can do on your own, but all said and done, you may still be better off to use a realtor who can represent your interest with knowledge and experience and alleviate all the guess work from what is already a maddening process to go through these days.

JMHO

Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Casper - stop the insanity! Write an offer to purchase the home CONTINGENT upon yours selling and get this rental home OFF the market! Most sellers would be happy to do this with a house that's under contract and so close to closing.
Okay, first, our house has already sold. Before we can make an offer, we have to get our reimbursements back for our move so that we know how much we can afford to put down on the house. Another issue is that I figure the realtor wants to use our offer to his advantage in negotiating with other potential buyers. If I make a contingent offer, and someone else offers more, I won't have the option to match or beat the other offer. Sorry if I sound paranoid, but if you only knew what I've been through with landlords and the guy who bought our house in Texas! We plan to sit down with the owners and talk after we prequalify with the mortgage company that works with federal families.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 PM

I assume that you have submitted your documentation, so you should have a pretty good idea how much you will be reimbursed. If you go under contract, all other suitors become back up offers and it doesn't matter how much better their offer is, you and the seller have a binding contract - unless the contract falls through. In addition, once the house is under contract, most buyers won't want to even see it if they know that, at best, they would be in back up position.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:31 AM

290 posts, read 637,593 times
Wow. Sounds like we got lucky with selling our house ourselves. The worst of it has been that the buyer is a horse's--well, you know. He has been at the abstract office several times this week, demanding the keys when the deal isn't closed. Today, he called the abstract company and was harassing them again. Then, he called the bank (which was completely out of line) and was rude to the staff. I was going to have my son deliver the keys to him as soon as we had confirmation that we were no longer responsible for the loan on the house. But as things turned out, that's going to be delayed a few days. He called me about, whining that he's paying interest, and I reminded him that I had to take out a loan to pay the difference between what he paid and what we owed, so I didn't want to hear it. He didn't like the arrangements I made to get the keys to him, and I told him I didn't like having him demand them before the closing was complete. And that I don't believe him when he says he doesn't know what the house appraised for.
To add to the stress, the landlord called to tell us that a realtor was pushing to bring a client to see the house Saturday after I told him and his agent that we won't be home. He's a good guy and he told them it was no go because he happened to know that we wouldn't be home. He also knows that we want to buy the place ourselves, but we gotta get selling our house behind us, and get all our reimbursements in from the govt. to see if we can afford to buy it. The landlord suggested we sit down with him and his wife and work out some sort of agreement that would put a stop to showing the house because we would have a proposal in place. I have no idea what he's talking about. NMLM, can you send me a direct message and recommend a realtor? I think we're going to need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
Okay, first, our house has already sold. Before we can make an offer, we have to get our reimbursements back for our move so that we know how much we can afford to put down on the house. Another issue is that I figure the realtor wants to use our offer to his advantage in negotiating with other potential buyers. If I make a contingent offer, and someone else offers more, I won't have the option to match or beat the other offer. Sorry if I sound paranoid, but if you only knew what I've been through with landlords and the guy who bought our house in Texas! We plan to sit down with the owners and talk after we prequalify with the mortgage company that works with federal families.

If I'm reading your statements correctly, the house in Texas hasn't truly sold, as yet.

There has been no closing?

Once that is completed, you will be "good to go".

In the meantime, I would do something about the guns and critters and allow your rental to be shown to prospective buyers...

Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 AM

The statements directly above are way out of order. The house in Texas has been sold. All will come together in due time here in Maine also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine